Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Taking a bad dog to a cafe?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

1. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    Is it possible to take a bad dog to a cafe? I think in theory yes. A dog may be bad but you can train him to behave in a public cafe.

2. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    :confused: Not my dogs!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 10:41 PM
    fatcat likes this.
  3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2011
    Texas
    I've taken my dogs to a cafe, but the terrier never gets a double espresso.

Shuster likes this.
  4. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
    If I remember correctly some trendy cafes do have a water bowl for dogs. I know in Paris dogs and cafes are a big part of the city culture

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Across Europe dogs are welcome in resturants, retail, etc. as long as they're well-behaved. It's pretty much a non-issue there.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    The few times Toto went to a café, he owned it. Of course that was true most anywhere he happened to go. I miss you amigo.

7. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    The void in your heart won't go away, and doesn't need to. But there's a pup out there that needs you.

Nubs, Shuster and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Ribsspare

Ribsspare Tele-Meister

Aug 26, 2011
    East Coast
  9. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Actually, my wife and I found a little dog who needed a home. I posted this a while back. His name is Alex, he's about three years old according to our vet. He's bullet proof house broken, some people were leaving town and were going to take him to the pound. A neighbor begged them not to, and said she'd find him a home. We ran across her ad on CL, responded and now he's been here five weeks. He's adapting well, uses a doggie door, and seems to be free of any bad habits. I'd say we got pretty lucky. I still miss Toto, and always will, he was something special, we were pals for fifteen years, we're still pals in my mind.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    My Cody is sweet and completely house broken. But at a public cafe, he would probably bark at people and try to jump on them, and maybe even take a dump on the floor. After all, he's a dog. Just trying to keep my expectations realistic.

Shuster likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Our bad dog just fools people. The neighborhood biergarten allows dogs so she's got more chance for that. In public people think we have an amazing sweet dog who behaves, loves trail riding, and trail running. She knows to be extra sweet and demonstrate smarts where she can scam people for food. In private she moves furniture for her own good, opens doors (and cabinets), and is mostly driven by her wanting to kill bunnies.

Our former neighbor said our current dog would be a crazy touring rock star if a different species and era. We remind her that she'd be dead or adopted if she went to a family that didn't know how to train and work with animals.

Shuster likes this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Good to hear the update TD.

Shuster and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I once posted that I didn't take Toto to public places and that was true. Over the years however weather permitting he would accompany me in the car at times. If I stopped somewhere, I would not stop if I could not park within a few feet of the door of the establishment and see him from where I was sitting. People would see him in the car and ask that he be brought inside. On the few occasions that happened, he deported himself as the true gentleman that he always was, and made new friends. Words cannot properly convey the huge presence of that little dog, he lit up a room like a superstar.

14. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Thanks Mike.

15. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2019
    Amsterdam
    We do take our dog Teddy to a cafe or restaurant, sometimes and that usually works.

Shuster likes this.
  16. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Feb 23, 2018
    Nawth Alabama
    Rocket is a people dog...and a babe magnet. He must have 'it'...cause he gets all the lovin' while I become invisible.

Shuster likes this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
    My Belgian shepherd Rascal, who owned me for eleven years, used to go almost everywhere with me: to the homes of friends who knew him, into stores like Lowe's that allow dogs, and I frequently took him to work with me on weekends or holidays. He was absolutely housebroken, calm, and I can't recall a single instance when he caused any trouble.

I dream of the day when Flash, the black Lab, will do the same. Not only is he a bit larger than Rascal was, he's also still rather rambunctious at not yet two years old :rolleyes:. He's the best-natured dog on earth, though, and very trainable, so we'll get there.

Shuster and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Toto made his initial trip from Arkansas to California when he was three months old. He rode part of the time in the front of the car, and part of the time in a little cardboard box I fashioned into a little retreat dog house for him. When he got tired of riding, he would hop on his own from the front seat down the console to the backseat of our car, and get in his box. I know this will be hard to believe, but he did not have a single accident in the car all the way from Arkansas to California even as a puppy. We would stop periodically and let him out to do his business, and he always seemed to prefer going outside.

As an adult he would come to me, and ask to be let out, if I didn't take his hint, he would go to the door and bark to get out, and paw at the door. He and Bella traveled three times from California to Arkansas and back, with nary a problem along the way. They were a really fine pair of little dogs.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
  20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Jun 27, 2005
    Montclair, NJ
    I would not do that, and would not go to a place that allowed it. An incident last year in my town: A lady sat at an outdoor cafe table with her dog in her lap. Under control. The town street had been blocked off, so people were walking by. She was sitting right by the curb. Some poor guy walks by, and the dog jumps up, takes a piece out of his upper arm. Bloody screaming ensues. The lady grabs the dog and flees. Cops caught up with her not too long after.

That guy will have no problem getting damages from her. But I don't ever want to be that guy.
    MD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.