Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

TAD tubes 6v6? Jan phil? Mullard?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by ebb soul, Jan 15, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Anyone try the tube amp doctor tubes, looking for power tube reccomendation for a deluxe type curcuit.
    Not happy with the JJs.
    I like tight bottom end, but some grit.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I think @moosie uses them in a DR. He can comment intelligently. Calling @moosie ...!

3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Tweed Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb? The latter is rather harsh on tubes, and only a few types will do well in there at the high voltages.

I haven't tried specifically the 6V6 from TAD, but their preamp tubes and 6L6 tubes have been very good to me so far. EHX also makes a good sounding 6V6 with a nice bluesy crunch, less bratty than a JJ.

4. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Hi @clintj - Have you used the EHX 6V6's in a Deluxe Reverb? I'm curious about new-production 6V6's, too (other than JJ's, which I've used).

5. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Actually, EHX is one of the few modern 6V6 that will handle DR voltages (they're rated to 500V) and they sound more like what a 6V6 should sound like than the JJ 6V6S. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but I really like the set in my 5E3 right now.

6. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Actually ordered some KenRad mil spec blackplates, suppozedly better than RCA blackplates.
    Price to good to pass up.
    My circuit is decicedly blackface.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    uriah1 likes this.

7. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    So I hear modern tubes handle modern plate voltages, and they suc. Whats a boy to do?
    Modern, as in what? 1962?
    Could one not just bias the amp less hot?
    The vintage ones are highly reguarded, and use, and I doubt many here have pre 1960 amps...
    I read til the end of the internet last night, and consumer reveiws had JJs the most rugged over EH, and TADs possbly #1, but with less reviews.
    EH seem to have more bloom in these comparisons.
    The JJs sound like 6L6s to me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018

8. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

I thought Moosie was the big iron guy.

9. theprofessor

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yes, he's got Twins and Supers, but he also has a 1977 (I think) SF DR.

10. atk1

atk1 TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use TAD 6v6's in my DRRI.. I like them alot. Not harsh at all.. closest new production tubes to NOS in my opinion.

asnarski likes this.

11. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

Good to know, I was a bit concerned with marketing hype on that one, being so much is mearly rebranding.

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Problem with Jan Phil 6v6 tubes is they don’t like to be run over spec. They develope mechanical rattling. I read a review saying that and, low and behold, my 2 week old NOS set I bought from tube Depot for my ‘76 Princeton Reverb, developed a rattle in one. It was running the usually 430+ vdc on the plates before I knocked it down with a 5v4 rect. I switched back to Sylvanias and used the good one in my 5f1. Muchxs builds them with a much more reasonable b+.

13. slider313

slider313 Tele-Holic

Jan 6, 2011
    NC
    Not a fan of the TAD 6V6, or the JJ for that matter. The TAD's don't have the definition of a good 6V6. They seem to be warmer but the sacrifice is clarity. The JJ's sound more like a 7591A to me. I've had good luck with the Tung Sol's in my Deluxe Reverb. The Ken Rad's are real nice. They have nice note definition and a sweet compression when pushed.

14. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I have the Tad 6V6's in two of me 5E3 I like then.

15. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Have used the TAD and EH. I really like the Tung Sol reissues, I would rate them right up there with grey-plate RCAs for tone. Nothing wrong with the TAD, I didn't like the EH.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    TAD is not a brand, they are a rebrander.

The brown base 6V6 on their site is Chinese, the other with the black glass is NOS Soviet.

17. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Sounds lkke you guys have spent alot of time experimenting with tubes.
    S' why I love this place.
    I've collected amps, guitars,..
    I think I now have tube gas, (lol)

The KenRads were the cost of ,reissue tungsols, how could I refuse.?
    Appearantly, they are the sleepers of the tube world, cos I could buy about 30 of 'em for my supplier, if I so chose.
    $59 for a pair burned in, matched, and shipped.

18. atk1

atk1 TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe the warmth is why I like them in my DRRI.. I will try the Tung Sol's next.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.