Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Table saw advice needed - time sensitive

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by moosie, Jul 12, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Wow! That came out nice! And doing so with such limited resources... I know how difficult that is. Very nice.

I don't have the skill to build guitars yet, either, but gotta start somewhere... I started from the other direction, learning to do my own setups, and then eventually (with much trepidation) fret work. So at least if I build one I won't have to take it to a tech for the final fret dress. Now that would be embarrassing... :)

2. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks for this. I like this guy! I wound up watching a few more of his videos.

paparoof likes this.

3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Make yourself a nice crosscut sled when you get a chance . One of the best accessories I've ever made for my table saw. There are plenty of good designs and videos on youtube .

[​IMG]

moosie likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

Thanks, yep, one of my many "first" tasks after setting up the saw.

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

Nice, Herb, and with a paper towel AND a toilet-paper holder. Very versatile jig! :lol::lol:

paparoof, Daniel94 and moosie like this.

7. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

You got the hard parts of guitar building already licked. The rest of guitar building is the fun and easy part. Well, less tedious, anyway.

moosie likes this.

8. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Getting into woodworking is awesome. I like to make all kinds of stuff which kind of led me into making a few guitars. A jointer, a planer, drill press and table saw and you can make all kind of furniture. My house it literally filled with pieces I made over the last 15 years or so. Congrats on a great saw

moosie likes this.

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You had to say "jointer and planer" didn't you...

I can't say I haven't been looking... The only rationale I can cook up at this point is that hey, at least they don't cost as much as the table saw! And don't forget band saw.

I really do intend to park in this 'shop' come winter.... So far I think all the pieces will tuck nicely. I won't have to disassemble the car.

10. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Well why not , making multi purpose jigs and tools helps defray costs :D

moosie and R. Stratenstein like this.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Jig storage is always a problem. I could probably convince my wife to hang that one in the bathroom :lol:

R. Stratenstein likes this.

12. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    While we're on your wife, urr, that came out badly,:eek: please allow me to rephrase, since we are discussing your wife, be sure to make something nice for her with your new table saw as a first, or very nearly first project. It doesn't take much and its well worth your time and effort to make sure she gets something out of your tool acquisitions, too. In addition to being a nice gesture to her, it also greases the skids for future tool "permissions", if ya know what I mean. ;)

RogerC and moosie like this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Oh yes, already got that mapped out. One of our boys and his family came for dinner today, and they asked, so whatcha doin' in the garage? "He's doing some woodworking", sez my wife, with a kind roll of the eyes. I rattle off the "stuff I'm gonna build": A pair of garden chairs for you, dear, and a nice flower box, and a ....

I wonder if she wants a Telecaster, er long-handled cutting board?

There will be things of questionable motivation that she'll benefit from also, such as building some plywood cabinets for the garage, to get all our crap off the floor and up on the walls, tucked away from the cobwebs. Of course I'm partly doing that to make room for the jointer, planer, and bandsaw... to say nothing of dust collection and a spray booth :rolleyes:

Jeez, it never ends :lol:

RogerC and Daniel94 like this.

14. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    That's a tele shaped cutting board , tele shaped end table?
    The possibilities are endless:lol::lol:

moosie likes this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Got a question for you guys...

The first thing I'm making my wife :rolleyes: is an outfeed table, and because I'm short on space, I want it to double as an assembly table, providing a very FLAT reference surface. (I don't think she realizes what a thoughtful husband I am...) Also, since I plan to use the shop to park my car in the winter months, it needs to be modular, with removable base. I don't want to overbuild, as it needs to be light and easy to store.

I'm thinking the top should be a torsion box. 48" square, with 2.5" members made from 1x6 pine ripped in half, and cleaned up on the saw, to ensure uniform width. The members will be approximately 8" on center, and the notch joints will cross as shown. All will be glued and tacked with brads. Then the skin will be 1/4" AC plywood, glued and screwed. Finally, not shown, the working surface will be 1/8" Masonite, waxed, and attached with 3" double-stick tape for easy replacement.

Is the sizing of the members and plywood enough to eliminate deflection, and to provide a dead flat surface? (keeping in mind the masonite will help with minor surface imperfections and waves)

Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 9.54.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 10.09.15 PM.png

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I think the weakest link there is the pine you're using. Construction grade pine has a tendency to warp and twist badly even in 1xWhatever formats. When you rip it down to smaller pieces, I think that's going to exacerbate the issue. I'd be tempted to use 3/4" ply for members as well.

moosie and Daniel94 like this.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Ah, sure, that makes too much sense. 3/4" ply for the members, will do.

But do you think it requires a 3/4" skin on both sides? I'm considering 1/4".

I'm concerned I'm underbuilding, but trying not to overbuild... Seems like the main issue is top deflection, and that would require the skin to stretch, which even a very thin skin will not do. The other potential issue I see is a bit of waviness due to the thin material, even though the top is end-to-end flat. But 8" centers, both ways... plus the 1/8" hardboard cover...

18. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Why not split the difference and use 1/2" for the top and bottom?

adirondak5 likes this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've changed my mind. How about 1/8" skins?

:D

I just found this: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19885

Guy makes a torsion box using masonite and even pegboard, for all members, and the skins! With pictures.

He confirms what I suspected, that both skin and members can use very thin material. Forces on the skins are stretching and compression. Forces on the members are compression, and their only role is to maintain the distance between skins.

What does help is to increase the depth of the box. His 8-foot torsion box "beam" deflects 1/2" under a 300 lb load of bricks. My long dimension will be 64" **, and the most I'll ever have on the table will probably be under 100 lbs (and I could always add a middle leg to support the long edge, reducing span to 32"). His whole box (with 1/8" skins mind) looks to be around 3". If I make mine 4.5" deep, it'll be like a rock.

And like I began to suspect, the interlocking box joints, or whatever these are called, do not need to be particularly tight, and don't even need to be attached (no glue, no brads).

** I initially planned for 48x48, but now I'm thinking 48x64, which is the width of my saw rails, and overall saw table width, after I add the router extension. I'm getting excited thinking of that work surface...

Daniel94 and RogerC like this.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Since floorspace is a major consideration, you might want to consider a folding table that mounts to the saw itself.

21. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Floor space is only a severe consideration in winter, when the table saw will be pushed to the wall, and essentially mothballed for a few months. Until I get more machines, I'll have enough room to leave this in place all through the warm months. It will all be on wheels, too.

I still might use the saw as a stable mount for one side of the assembly / outfeed top. Thinking...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.