Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tab Benoit

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kuvash, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:47 PM.

1. stratman54

stratman54 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2016
    US
    Oh yeah! Great player, like his lyrics, especially the double entendre's.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Yeah man Tab is legit.
    Seen him a few times.
    He comes around pretty regularly.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Tab. Big time. And his thin lines.

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I've seen Tab once, about 2 years ago here in Houston. He was amazing! Very funny too... one of those guys you just want to hang with. He was freekin' incredible.

kuvash likes this.

5. robinsong

robinsong Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2017
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Saw Tab Benoit in a blues bar in Vancouver in the late 90s. Always loved his records, but he was amazing live. My son had a smoke with him on a break and mentioned to him that Mick Taylor was playing in town too, and we chose seeing him. He said he was humbled that we chose him over Mick . So not only a great guitarist, great singer and great songwriter he is a great person, very humble and gracious. He also had a cool custom made 3 door pickup truck that they toured in. I’m still a big fan today.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Tab’s cool...I’ve seen him in New Orleans & Portland

7. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    big fan, seen him live a few times now.

If anyone is in Southern California and wants to see him in a very intimate venue he is playing again in San Juan Capistrano at the Coach House on October 25. Cannot recommend that show enough. Worst seat in the house is probably 30 feet from the stage....

Random1643 and robinsong like this.

8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Big fan here! Just my style....:cool:

9. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    He likes courvoisier , fishing and teles. What more can you ask.

10. mfowler314

mfowler314 Tele-Meister

I really like him! I saw him live about a year ago and it was great in concert... very interactive with the crowd and REALLY funny!

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I wasn't a tele guy until 2008, and blues isn't what I listen to primarily, so I didn't know about Tab Benoit. And even after discovering the world of the tele, I wasn't crazy about the '72 Thinline. A pearloid pickguard is not my favorite, and besides, that pickguard to me has a weird-looking shape, like an amoeba with its pseudopod extended. And to me full sized humbuckers just didn't look right on a tele.

But all of that changed for me about 6-7 years ago, when I heard "Shelter Me." I've never heard him in person, but I like his playing, and he sings well, too. And he's gone a long way towards winning me over to the '72 Thinline. From what I understand, he has several, but that main axe has such mojo, it's hard for me to look at it and not think it's cool.

13. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    I’m a big fan! Haven’t gotten to see him in concert yet. Hoping he hits Michigan in 2019.

14. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    He's very good at what he does, but I'm not a fan, too polished for the style of blues that I like. His songs just don't grab me in any particular way.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Tab's rhythm section is to die for. Louisiana, man.

16. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    I have seen Tab twice at Kalamazoo's State Theatre and he was great! Tab says' he does it old school, Thinline into Cat 5 amp (Super Reverb) with no pedals just fingers, pick and volume nob with no reverb!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.