Tab Benoit RIG RUNDOWN (Premier Guitar)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ruger9, Apr 18, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah lol... my wife doesn't enjoy "guitar music" (endless soloing BS), or "straight-up blues", but she's going with me this summer, and I think she'll enjoy it.

I'm waiting for her to say "he looks like Number One from Star Trek!" LOL

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Where da pretty women at?

ruger9 likes this.
  3. ruger9

Dog Hill :)

aerhed likes this.
  4. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Tab's playing is what got me into Thinlines. His stripped approach really highlights the importance of a good foundation.

I love how he's a great enough guy to turn 2 guitars and 2 amps into a 26-minute rundown. He's funny, personable, and willing to explain more about things than you get sometimes. I guess if you really only have 4 pieces of gear you've got more time, but he could have simply said, "here's my 2 identical guitars, my 2 amps, and that's it."

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

5. ruger9

It's interesting, through the years and all the interviews, I thought he wasn't a gear guy... he was just "I found my guitar and my amp, and I stick with what works." But the rig rundown showed me he knows quite a bit more about gear than I suspected... his 2-amp-with-different-tones approach (I've heard of guys using 2 complimentary amps before, but it's usually not 1 dirty and 1 clean), the way he mics BOTH amps... even IN THE BACK, ribbon in front, condenser in back...

It actually reminded me of Brian Setzer... while his rig is also simple (6120, RE-301, 6G6-B Bassman)... it's NOT really that simple... the 301 is absolutely required (not just any old delay... he actually pushes the front end of the Bassman with the 301), an extra-long cable is needed due to what the 301 does to the tone, the cabs have V30s in them.... but to Brian, it's just "yeah, I found that combination of the 301 and Bassman, it worked, and I've used it ever since... I did put V30s in the cab because the stock speakers kept blowing"

6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve posted this before but fits here too. Cat 5 and gator clearly visible

There’s a lot of Tab stuff playing around here on YouTube

Puts on a simple, fun no nonsense show. Not to be missed.

RodeoTex likes this.
  7. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Right. I'd found a "rig rundown" a couple years ago he did with a random YouTube guy that had some of the same basic info (the story of finding his first Thinline, getting the offer from Cat 5), but nothing about the mics, the way each amp is set, comparisons of guitars, etc.

It also wasn't nearly as funny, as it was filmed between sound check and the show, and I think he clearly would have rather had some quiet down-time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

8. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

This rundown is perfectly timed as I saw Tab a couple of weeks ago as he passed through Raleigh. The man's a delight to experience live, comedically and musically. And yes, he played drums for his opener, Eric McFadden. No slouch on the skins but he's a monster on the guitar.

And that thinline is a treasure.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  9. Gytrpykr

Gytrpykr TDPRI Member

Love his version of “New Orleans Ladies”. I spent a couple years in S. LA working. Tab was on the local stations down there all the time. Heck of a player.

ruger9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.