Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

t-rex moller / moeller

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thefruitfarmer, Oct 5, 2017.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Have had this pedal since about 2004 and just started using it like this: 2017-10-05 23.03.59.jpg

Had been thinking of it a tubescreamer clone with a nice rasp and it tightens up the bass. Now I want to keep the bass end.

The boost mixes more clean in and the bass is back. A bit more than a tubescreamer clone now.

TigerG likes this.

2. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    It’s a nice TS pedal. I had the old TC Electronic version. The Vintage Tube Primer. Same pedal. Wish I still had it.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

3. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    It is a nice TS pedal, with a great grind to it. I went to the shop and picked it out from a bunch by ear. That was with a different guitar though, an Ibanez with Seymour Duncans, which benefited from the bass cut.

Now I have a baja tele which does n't play well with the overdrive side of the pedal alone, the bass cut does it no favours.

If I was replacing this pedal I would be wanting something similar, in terms of being able to mix in some clean and to control the bass.

4. wannabeatle

wannabeatle TDPRI Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Oak Park, IL
    You could take a look at the Truetone VS-XO. It’s got a ts side with controllable clean mix and different levels of bass. (If you want a replacement).

5. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    That does look like a very nice overdrive pedal indeed :)

I am going to have to experiment with the moeller for a while longer but I do have a few ideas.

6. HesNot

HesNot TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    North Carolina
    I have one of these and it is a very versatile pedal - I very much like the blend feature. I have a vintage TS10 and I admit that side by side I don't hear a lot of overlap - I know the Moller is arguably based on the TS circuit but so are a lot of overdrives. That Pedal Show did a King of Tone video and the Moller definitely came out favorably as a KOT alternative which is based on the blues breaker which is itself a variant on the TS circuit. Even with the blend set to full wet I don't find it as compressed and mid focused as a TS. Great pedal and the independent clean boost is a winner.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Did you try pushing in the Voice knob? It's a low end boost for those that use the pedal with single coils. If you push it in with single coils, that would supply more low end and free up the boost to use as a boost.

8. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Yes, I have been using the voice knob. It does make a difference but not enough for what I want.

What it does it does really well and I may keep it as an alternative recording overdrive. However, I reckon a truetone VS XO might give me what I need.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.