Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

SX Vintage Series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bfloyd6969, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bfloyd6969

bfloyd6969 Tele-Meister

Hello everyone. I don't get on here often, sorry, but I'm looking at purchasing a used SX Vintage Series Tele. From what I have read, these have one piece alder bodies and vintage tint toner applied necks. Can someone tell me if the neck profiles on these are like MIM Teles? How well do these Vintage Series teles compare to CV Teles? I appreciate any info and advice you all can give me. Thanks!

2. JeffBeck

JeffBeck TDPRI Member

SX necks are very chunky. Not really a "baseball bat" but they're definitely meatier than a Fender or Squier neck. I think they're quite comfortable for heavy chording.

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

rumor has it they can be hit or miss, bit that may be more the case with the older ones. mine was perfect out of the box. everything works the way it's supposed to, frets are well done, and the finish was also well done. the BSB as it was called was more of a baby poop yellow (think french's mustard-ish) so that was redone in clear lacquer. i also reshaped the headstock (old style SX) to a traditional shape.
    they're great guitars, i'd definitely buy another one.

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bfloyd6969

bfloyd6969 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies guys!

A chunky neck is still fine by me as long as it is still a chunky C shape and not a D shape. Would you call it a C or D shape?

6. Coffeemutt

Coffeemutt Tele-Meister

I've only had one, but I would say mine was more of a chunky C-shape. I really liked the sound and finish (for the price - extraordinary), but ending up selling it because the neck was just too fat for my hands. Wish I could've kept it...

7. Jtbeck

Jtbeck TDPRI Member

Definitely "c" shaped neck.

8. bfloyd6969

bfloyd6969 Tele-Meister

Thanks again guys - good to hear about the C shape. I just have a thumb problem with D shape necks. I went ahead and told the seller I'd take it. $110 shipped and has the pickups changed to GFS Lil Killers bladed (both bridge and neck). I'm really looking forward to it and it will be my only Tele again seeing how I had to sell my Fender '72 Custom a while back when in a pinch for some cash...

9. Jtbeck

Jtbeck TDPRI Member

Congrats, those lil killers are some pretty sweet pups, too!

10. jmascis

jmascis Banned

I have one Sunburst Sx tele (Vintage series) as well, with the old sx tele headstock( tele alike). Nice sound and playability..really worth the money..

11. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

I've got a few of these myself, all with different shaped necks. Love 'em. One even has the Lil Punchers bridge/neck.

How bout some pics when you get it home?

12. bfloyd6969

bfloyd6969 Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I'll surely get some pics up when I get it. Still waiting to hear back from the seller about finalizing the deal. PM's can be trying at times :/

13. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I have an SX bass that is remarkably nice 'for the money'. It's far from perfect and needs a setup bigtime but the potential is there.

14. JeffBeck

JeffBeck TDPRI Member

I like all the offerings from Rondo Music. Where else can you get an Alder bodied, maple necked, rosewood fretboard tele with a P90 configuration brand new for $109? Granted the tuners and the nut will most likely have to go. But that's an insane value for a top notch modding platform if nothing else.

[​IMG]

Unbelievable that this guitar is only $109. I better stop thinking about it before I go and order one!

15. tomringg

tomringg Tele-Meister

I doubt they are one piece bodies, but they are sweet rigs for the price! I've got several & enjoy modding them. Have at it!

16. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I like my Thinline alot .I parted it all out in the end and wish I had kept it really .The neck was chunky and had big thick jumbos .Great spec for a cheapy .If you can stretch to a Douglas from Rondo these are even better quality.I had an SX strat( SST) and that was was very good but too heavy .Apart from a pot failing it was a very good guitar and even its pickups were decent and very vintage sounding .In fact a classic strat tone .I was surprised

17. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

The bodies are 3 piece, solid alder. There is an ash model tele as well that I would love to try.

18. RBBB

RBBB Tele-Meister

I have a double bound SX from Rondo:

[​IMG]

Leveled/re-crowned the frets.
    Shimmed the neck appropriately.
    Filed the nut slots appropriately.

In summing it up, all details that go into a real set up.

It is a really great guitar.

A word about nuts and tuning machines on the SX models.
    I've had three, all different type guitars.

After properly attending to nut slots all have been fine and the tuning machines fine.

Too many times a lot of people don't really know what's going on and attribute tuning problems to tuning machines when in reality what is happening is binding at the nut.
    That's a generalization and there are exceptions. However, my experience is that the generalization is most often accurate.

A set of nut slot files goes hand in hand with really knowing how to work a guitar.
    In a pinch a set of feeler gauges and some papers for wraps can get it done.

All the SX guitars go to the operating table before being considered, "ready,":

[​IMG]

19. yark14

yark14 Friend of Leo's

I have the ash one. Great guitar. It is basically finished with in an oil finish, rather than a think poly. The neck isn't glossy and orange like their other teles. The pickups sound pretty good, I may one day swap them but am in no hurry.

I found the tuners and nut to be pretty good on mine. Tuning stability is good.

20. JeffBeck

JeffBeck TDPRI Member

I had an ash SX for a little while, too. Pretty nice guitar. Even had the forearm and belly cuts on it. Mine had been modded pretty heavily before I bought it. I should have kept it. Had a GFS Lil Puncher and was wired for coil tapping.

Also had a Douglas Gravity Thinline tele for a little while (sold it to fund strat gas) with 2 P90's. Another one that I should have kept. Had a nice fast neck and the frets were well dressed out of the box (and it was a "B" stock)!

I've always heard that the Rondo offerings are fairly hit and miss, but I've not had a miss yet.

21. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Tele-Meister

@RBBB I remember that double-bound model only being available for a short while. I am waiting for the double-bound black to come back in stock. Kurt thought he would have them back this fall. I have the HH Douglas Gravity thinline and the only thing I needed to replace was the nut. Tuners are stiff but hold very well. Frets and maple neck are very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.