Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SX teles, any good?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Blazer, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    Today I saw one of these for sale in a local shop for just under 170 Euros.

So any of you guys have any experience with these?

2. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I had one, pretty good for the cheap market. Mine was $129 U S brand new, shipped. I think that's about 80 euros right? Neck shape nice, pickups decent. Nothing to write home about but if I was buying a cheap tele a good brand .

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Not the Tele, but I have a SX Custom 24. It's a PRS clone. Real Mahogany neck and body with real Flame Maple cap, Rosewood fretboard and the pickups were good.
    Mine was damaged in shipping so I got it cheap. Neck had separated from the body at the joint, it was easily fixed. No fret problems to deal with, action was spot on and the hardware is decent making play-ability as good as any of the high dollar guitars. Good tone and comfortable to play.

Attached Files:

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    oops

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I have a SX STL-50 that bought in 2004 or so from Rondo. It's my favorite guitar right now for slide. However, I've made a lot of mods to it.

From what I've been able to determine, these guitars come from the same factory in China but the actual specs depend on who ordered them. For example, some STL-50's have 3 bolts on the necks while US sold ones have 4 bolts.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    SX is good stuff, I have several

b11a369309a7c387b7d7fd87361b78d1.jpg
    they are all great

Does anyone else remember when SX was actually "Essex"?

bender66 likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Yes. I snapped a pic of an Essex bass sitting in a pawn shop near me.

Can you get more pics? The pic in the OP looks like the SX's available to the EU market. Ashtray bridge, might have a tele headstock shape too. Stateside Rondo buyers can't get those. We get some off putting headstock, staggered ferrules & modern bridges.

My SX STL-60 & Agile TC have the full body thickness. All the recent bodies are thinner. My SX Lacewood T-style had a tele shaped headstock but it was super thin neck & narrow at the nut. I sent that neck along.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I guess I should sneak in a picture of mine with all its mods.

[​IMG]

Urshurak776 and bender66 like this.
  9. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Jan 14, 2015
    Chicago
    I have an SX STL-50 (3-pup Nashville style) that is my main player at the moment. It still has the original body, bridge, control and neck plates. Eveything else has been replaced. It's actually pretty nice now, but I doubt I would buy another. The thing is, their neck pocket is 2 1/4", so neck replacement isn't straigtforward. I got a Musikraft neck on it that was made to 2 1/4" so it's a perfect fit, and it's fabulous, but with Hipshot gears and GraphTech nut and trees, it set me back $350, which is triple what I paid for the guitar. Actually, if you can live with the rather chunky neck they come with, the stock pickups don't sound half bad, so if you don't spend a ton of money on upgrades, they're OK for the price.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.