Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Switching things around. Boredom must be prevented.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ironwolf, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:05 AM.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    How often do you folks change your home setup around? I don't mean buying and selling gear, but, assuming you have an assortment of equipment, change out what your playing on at home.

For example: I tend to rotate through my amps every couple of weeks or so. Guitars I change out constantly. I just built a new pedal board on a Pedaltrain base and cut the number of pedals way down.

So what's up with your rig(s)?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:41 AM
  2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    That is somewhat hard to answer.

I play my Tele and my Mustang III almost exclusively.

However, I swap around what model I play on the amp all the time; I don't even play the same model the whole time I fire up the amp.

So, both rarely and constantly.

kuvash likes this.
  3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    Well, I rarely get bored with my stuff, but I know what you mean. I have a lot of guitars, quite a few amps, and way too many pedals. This "problem" gives me the chance to play something different whenever I want to. I tend to get enamored with a particular guitar/pedal/amp combo for a week or two, so I may play that setup several times without changing anything. Then I'll change it all to something else. I'm lucky to be able to do this, and it may not always be this way, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. KenKell

KenKell TDPRI Member

Feb 14, 2017
    United States
    I've acquired more guitars and amps than I know what to do with, I guess there are worse problems to have. I have a number one guitar and rotate through all the rest. I try to play at least two guitars a day. I try to make sure everything gets some play so I can justify having it. I play my Mustang III a lot and it can be a boredom cure if you want to delve into the amp modeling. My other amps are collecting dust.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I rotate through the guitars every month or two but my two main amps tend to get equal use at home. I go back and forth between the basses but there I use my smaller amp at home just because it's more convenient for practice. My pedal chain hasn't changed in well over a year. I'm satisfied with what I have there so changes aren't needed.

I can't honestly say that I ever felt bored with what I have but that hasn't prevented me from adding gear based on an ever changing wish list. For me boredom comes from not being able to play due to illness or injury not due to my gear. I'm quite happy with what I have less those things I know I'd like to ad and my reasons for them.

7. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    I have phases. I play my acoustic almost every day, and I'll go for awhile without picking up an electric. With electrics, I'll go back and forth between my two favorite rigs. Ibanez hollowbody into my Blues Jr for some nice clean stuff, country and surf type sounds. And my CV50 into my Peavey SC212 for big loud chorused distortion, Nirvana power chord noise. I really don't care for the sounds I get when I switch the guitar/amp combo. I also have a big box of pedals that I never use anymore, and 5 other electrics collecting dust!

kuvash and Route67 like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    The band that I rehearse with at my home pretty much insists on a particular setup, which I kinda resent. But what they prefer is what sounds the best in that context, so I can't really complain. I guess.

9. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Maybe I should break out the Strat to help shake up the rut I seem to be in? @Ironwolf, you may be on to something...

I don't usually play the acoustic - it needs some work, and I don't have the patience right now.

10. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    At least you have a band coaxing you. My OCD keeps telling me to only use a certain MIII preset - but others sound better from day to day, and I feel like I'm "cheating on" my normal one. Stupid to feel like you are cheating on yourself by using a different model, right? I guess I am loyal to stupid stuff to a point of hurting myself.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    unixfish yeah but like you say, I like to change things up from time to time, just for variety's sake. I have lots of different things, and I like to use them , sometimes just even for the novelty of it. I get little in the way of understanding of that, from this group

I get what you say though , I have a MIII also, and I tend to stick to one sound there, when I play it

12. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    My music room is tiny, like 10x11. All my guitars and amps are in there, along with a few pedals, set up tools and assorted doodads.

So, I rotate through stuff a lot since it's all right there. Sometimes I will notice a guitar that i have not tried with a certain amp and will then play that set up for a week or so straight before trying something else.

Lately, I have been selling off stuff that i don't use to partially finance better gear, so gear pile is evolving, not growing.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I just use one amp at home - my THR10C. My other two amps are too loud for home use. However, I have two of my guitars on the wall in my music area, and I alternate between them. I also have my Thinline in my office, and I'll occasionally take it down to the music room. I don't have enough pedals to rotate them, and the THR has enough effects on it that I don't even use my pedals at home.

14. ddewerd

ddewerd Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Never really thought about it much, but for all the guitars and amps I have, I really just play one combination ('63 Tele + Fender HR DeVille + DigiTech RP500).

I do mess around with the DigiTech stomp box periodically to look for new sounds, but they tend to be more one offs that I need for a particular song.

For me, variety is more about trying to learn new songs, styles, riffs, etc. I guess I'm more satisfied with my sound than I am with my playing!

Cheers,
    Doug

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm living in a construction zone right now, so have to haul out any guitar stuff from a cramped unfinished, unwired, dust free room and bring it down stairs and lay it out on a stack of sheetrock in the living room before playing.:( Nevertheless, I get some acoustic time and unplugged electric in daily. I use my newly built prototype grab 'n go, 4 pedal board into one of two amps for some serious electric playing about every third day. I have not played through my main pedalboard or amp for many, many months now due to lack of space and energy after digging out snow covered firewood or hanging sheetrock daily. Hopefully, I can get over this construction zone life soon.:mad:

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Do you find that playing on a stack of sheetrock really gives you a dry tone? Or does it mud up your sound? It seams to me it might make a difference. Probably more noticeable on tape though.
    Gypsum questions I had. :lol:

SPUDCASTER, J Hog and haggardfan1 like this.
  17. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Longview, Texas
    This would make an awesome T-shirt saying, but the lettering might have to be too small. :D

18. unixfish

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Nah - I think this sums it up:

tdpri_logo_wear_shirt.jpg

haggardfan1 likes this.
  19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Always been a guitar junky, last few years I became an amp junky too. I switch amps/pedals every few months now just for sh*ts and giggles. Picked up a Blackstar HT Studio 20 for Christmas, popped in a new speaker, and now it's replaced my AC15, the previous king of the hill, as my "chosen amp of the moment". Which guitar I use is based on what doesn't need to be restrung or is in line for mods or repairs. Pedals - I'm constantly trying to pare them down to the bare essentials. Right now I'm running a tuner, my Crybaby, a clean boost, and a chorus; crunch comes from the amp.

20. beagle

beagle Tele-Holic

Jul 20, 2010
    Yorkshire
    I've been playing the same guitar for over 20 years. I have others that get played now and then. I've used the same amp for 20 years too, but only when gigging, using something else at home, the neighbours don't appreciate the walls shaking.

21. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yes, I switch relatively often between my guitars and basses.

I don't do it out of boredom though.

It just so happens that I like all of them, so I like to play all of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.