Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Switch (in treb. pos.) too close to vol knob . .

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by soniccity, Mar 29, 2003.

  1. soniccity

    soniccity TDPRI Member

    Mar 29, 2003
    This is irritating- I have a problem getting the switch back to the middle position from treb position without jostling the volume knob. Will I just have to take the rubber tip off & snip off 1/8 inch or so. I really don't want a little stub of a switch lever. If it were a round shaft, I'd just bend it slightly, but it's a flat blade type & won't bend that way. What should I do?
    Jim R

  2. Kevin Nybo

    Kevin Nybo TDPRI Member

    Mar 17, 2003
    A lot of guys go with a "reverse plate" setup. This puts your volume on top, your tone in the middle, and your selector on the bottom. Of course, know you have the tone knob in the way, but if you don't use the tone control very often you can remove the knob and just use the shaft for adjustments. This gives you a lot of extra space. I've did it myself before.

    There are also some aftermarket companies that offer "UFO-style" replacement knobs. These are similar to the amp-style knobs used on the Muddy Waters Tele, but can also be had in chrome, black, etc. These give you a little extra room to work with, even if you leave the control plate in the stock setup.

    You could also replace the large top-hat or barrel- style Tele selector knob with a Strat-style knob. Again, this will give you more space.

    I use a Les Paul switch on this Tele on the Left. The tone pot is soldered to the back of the volume switch, under the control plate. I never used the thing when it was easily accessible anyways. As you can see, this required a lot of modification, since I removed the section of the control plate that supported the sliding selector switch and had to fill that section of the cavity with a wooden block. I only did it because it was building my dream Tele, and wanted everything just right.

  3. Michael Murphy

    Michael Murphy Tele-Afflicted

    The Strat switch tip might work out for you.

    Personally, I can't deal with the reversed control plate, although it seems to work for a lot of guys.

    Another option might be the 'Gatton' mod- bending the switch lever downward (towards the floor) at a 45º or so angle.

    Be very careful not to damage the switch if you do this, though- it's real easy to do. You have to take the knob off, and grab the lever right at the control plate level with some needlenose pliers and hold it immobile while you carefully bend the end of the lever only with another pair of pliers.


    Charter Member S. Texas He-Man Emoticon Haters Local #316

  4. jazzguitar

    jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

    Mar 17, 2003
    Rockinger offers the solution for that:

    They have a control plate with the volume pot hole closer to the tone pot, giving more room for the switch.

    Rockinger guitars

    Personally, being a jazzer, I almost never use the bridge pu alone, so for me it's not worth the effort.

  5. Rusty

    Rusty Tele-Holic

    Mar 27, 2003
    Bridge p/u
    switch to a different tip

    Michael Murphy has the right idea. If the Strat tip doesn't work, try a tophat (late 50's--70's) Tele tip. I never used one of the tophats until I got my '69 Paisley, and they are really good for avoiding this type of problem. That's all I use now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.