Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sweetwater Calls

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gtrguru, Dec 7, 2017.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't dislike Sweetwater. I do get a giggle out of some of the posts that focus on the handful of candy that probably costs them pennies (since they buy by the shipping container full) being a factor in putting up with the calls...

Judging from some of those posts I've got to say the pennies worth of candy they throw in is marketing genius! :D

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just that I love that meme pic!

heavy.jpg

Telecasterless and william tele like this.

3. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Holic

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    I've never had a problem but the term "sales engineer" just pisses me off to no end. You're a "salesman" or, in this day of genderless words, I can live with "sales representative".

And what number are they calling from? Perhaps that's some of those calls I never answer.

nojazzhere and Pickcity like this.

4. Garruchal

Garruchal TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    I have asked them not to call me each time that they call, which is each time that I order something, which is often because they usually have the cheapest price and fastest shipping. I am practically incapable of actually being rude to anyone, but I am pretty sure that "Ian" knows that I want to throw his desk into a lake.

william tele likes this.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I made the mistake of pointing my wife at something I wanted from them a couple of Christmasses ago. She ordered it, came promptly, no hassle, but. . . . She let me know she did not appreciate the junk phone calls, mispronouncing her name, just because she bought something for me, and why did I set her up for that? (I was clueless at the time) . However, I will say that in addition to the slight blistering I got, we have not received any more calls! :cool:

6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    So thankful I no longer get calls from them. The most annoying, intrusive salespersons ever. Car salesmen aren't as aggressive as Sweetwater reps. Plus, I don't need their stinking "advice."
    Candy isn't winning my business. Price is number one for online merchants. Everyone has decent return policies, free shipping etc.

nojazzhere likes this.

7. Pickcity

Pickcity TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I made my first purchase from Sweetwater back in October. They called when I ordered, and called after I received my item. If they call again I will ask them not to call again. I don't care for soliciting phone calls. Their service and my order was an excellent overall experience, though. I would use them again.

Oddly, I did not receive any candy, but I don't care.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It's strange to hear anyone complain about them. Are you sure you guys are talking about the same company? Or maybe you're just doing it wrong. :twisted:

Seriously, I've had no bad experiences with them. Well, technically, I've had one problem with an order. Early in 2012, back when Sweetwater carried the now defunct Wechter brand, I bought a Wechter Nashville-tuned/high strung parlor sized guitar, acoustic (no electronics). It was on sale at a good price, so I pulled the trigger.

When it arrived, it had a buzz to it. Not fret buzz, but like there was a loose brace inside the body. I called and talked to my guy about this, and he was great about it. They shipped me another one right away, and covered the return shipping on the defective one. The replacement guitar came fast, and was perfect. And like everything else I've ever bought from them, the packaging was perfect.

Later that same year, they had a special price on the Wechter Nashville with Fishman Presys + electronics. I pulled the trigger on that acoustic/electric one too, and gave my acoustic version to an old friend.

Last year, I bought a Fishman Loudbox Mini Songwriter's package (Mini + Sennheiser e835 mic + stand + cable) from them for my younger brother, all for the same price as the amp alone. A few months later, I wound up buying the same thing for myself. The one for my brother was shipped to him (375 miles away), the later one of course came straight to me. No problems with either of those orders.

The way I do Sweetwater, after the first couple of happy purchases, I actually programmed their number, and the extension # and name of my sales guy (Scott) into my phone. So I always call and ask to speak to him. There have been times when he was on another call, and the prompts give me the option of speaking to someone else or to wait for Scott. I always wait, it never takes too long. It's worth it to always deal with the same guy. Yeah, I know others could read my purchase history off a computer screen like Scott no doubt is doing, but I don't care. We've had good conversations, and he is knowledgeable and helpful.

There have been times when I've gotten an unsolicited call from him, but that's okay. Because I've got it programmed into my phone, I get a caller ID and can ignore it if I want to. Aside from calls about my orders, unsolicited calls don't happen that often, maybe a couple of times a year. Like I said, I ignore them unless I happen to want to talk to Scott about something at the time.

Nothing but a happy customer here. The call stuff is easily manageable.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Gee, they've never called me...

SPUDCASTER and BorderRadio like this.

10. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I've had a great experience with Sweetwater. They are super responsive. They ship stuff fast. Their free tech support has helped me a few times. Great return policy. So they call. Big deal. I just ignore it unless I actually want to talk to them which is rarely. I'd rather deal with ignoring some calls but get fast response when I do reach out to them than deal with the typical business these days that never responds when you have an issue.

Telecasterless likes this.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Tele-Holic

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I ordered several things from them (one quite spendy)and never got any candy. I now do business elsewhere..

william tele and BorderRadio like this.

12. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    When they call, I just ask them to send more candy.

I like Sweetwater. I don't get enough of their calls to bug me. I wonder if some sales reps call more often than others. Kenny is my guy. I've been doing business with them for a few years now.

13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I get strings from "Strings 'N Things".....good prices, fast shipping, nice handwritten "thank you" enclosed....NO phone calls.

noah330 likes this.

14. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    They call me after I order something and have never tried to sell me anything else.

Very brief phone call. No big deal.

I think that's great customer service.

15. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    I don't see how calling to confirm your order and asking if you need anything else is good service. I confirmed my order when I hit the submit button and if I needed something else I would have bought it. If I wanted the human element brought into it I would have called YOU and inquired, not ordered online. They always call after an order and I just decline the call.

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 10, 2010
    Certain uncertainty
    On my iPhone I just block numbers

17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ

I am going to care for you.
    I am calling right now to complain that you did not get your candy.
    Sometimes you just have to take a hard stance.....

Pickcity and nojazzhere like this.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Be sure to give them pickcity's phone number....that way they can call him and apologize.

Pickcity likes this.

19. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I have a "home phone" (land line) that doesn't have a phone hooked up to it. Long story.
    Since I don't answer my cell phone for 800 numbers and numbers I don't recognize, and I learned how to block numbers, I'm not bothered by telemarketers.

nojazzhere likes this.

20. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    If I order a set of pickups from anywhere else, they just show up a few days later and that's it. If I order a set from Sweetwater, I get a call from my conjoined twin at Sweetwater for a "consultation", just to make sure I know what I ordered and to see if I need anything else. Then I get a call to see how they worked out, then I get a call to see if there's anything else I need. Then I get a call because they know I looked at something on their site and maybe I have a question. It's absurd. Last time i got a call, I told them to never call me again. So instead I got I catalog the size of the Manhattan phone book. I will never buy from them again if at all possible. They actually have an exclusive amp that I would buy from anywhere else, but since they are the only ones that have it, I'm depriving myself of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.