Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sweet Little Angel

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BluesBlooded, Mar 30, 2016.

1. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Thanks Rick! Wish I had more time to hang around with you guys! The next year will be crazy!

2. BluesBlooded

It's been thirteen months since I last updated this thread. It's been a crazy year as expected. Unfortunately My todo list is not completed as I expected to be. Looks like I am getting slower with age.

Still have to do a dinner table top, a bar top and a total staircase. So I will not have much time to make this build go forward. We should be able to see DPP on Jupiter's ES335 before I complete mine.

Anyway, here's what the new shop looks like.

01.PNG

The most important tool is the beer fridge at the rear right. Maybe that is why I get slower. Too convenient.

Unpacked Lucille who has not seen light of day for a whole year.

02.PNG

Did not remember it was full booboos.

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

Nothing Bondo can't fix

06.PNG

07.PNG

09.PNG

Next update in 2019

Maybe not.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Glad to see you back Andre!

BluesBlooded likes this.

4. BluesBlooded

Thank you Richard,

Happy to be back!

5. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Nice to have you back Andre!
    Damn the new workshop looks sooo nice,I love it!!!!

BluesBlooded likes this.

6. BluesBlooded

Thanks Nick, the shop is not as large as I wished it was, but it is at least double the size of the previous one. So I'm very happy!

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Your other one was so cozy, though!

BluesBlooded likes this.

8. BluesBlooded

Yes it was, but a bit too much with all the tools I have. I know you do great things with a much smaller space.

Jupiter likes this.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Sigh, I miss your beautiful sanding station on the river, :(, but 2x the shop space is wonderful!:cool: Hope to see more of you before 2019!

BluesBlooded likes this.

10. BluesBlooded

The sanding station was divine. I do miss it.

I started sanding the bondo while in the background having my assistant cut some neck blanks

11.PNG

Made four like this

12.PNG

You see the middle piece here held by two screws. Well that was the second pair. The first one, I did not secure it and had a mishap as you can see on the closer piece in the picture bellow.

14.PNG

An operator error. Fortunately, I have way more stock than I need. This is an oversize blank that I will feed the CNC to carve the neck.

The holes will be used to align the pieces together for the glue up

17.PNG

15.PNG

16.PNG

11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Looking good Andre , looks like your assistant is working just fine .

BluesBlooded likes this.

12. BluesBlooded

Thanks Herb, assistant is doing great work as long as I don't intervene, that's when screw up starts to appear.

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi André!
    You and Jup have till 2036 so no pressure! I have one question though, how do the CNC cutters handle Bondo?
    Rob

14. BluesBlooded

Rob, bondo will be sanded manually. The only thing left to cut on the body is the binding channel.

15. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

When is the new house party?

BluesBlooded likes this.

16. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    When I make stock patterns for the duplicator I use bondo to build up areas and fill holes .It machines just fine with router bits

Rich

Barncaster and BluesBlooded like this.

17. BluesBlooded

When Lucille is ready to "Rock me Baby".

Before 2037:)

Good to know, Thanks Rich

Barncaster likes this.

18. BluesBlooded

Spent yesterday cursing.

When I started the CNC, it dropped in the neck at least an 1.5 inch and tried to moved. Before I was able to stop it, the breaker in the power bar tripped.

18.PNG

This was an ID10T error.

It was totally my fault. I always set my zero in the centerpiece. This time I had to set X and Y zero in the centerpiece, but not the Z

19.PNG

This is where I was supposed to set my ZERO of the Z axis

20.PNG

But this was just the first of many problems

Although I set depth limit, the colet of the router hit some wood that I had to cut to provide clearance

21.PNG

Than at one point out of nowhere when everything was going fine, the CNC moved the bit at full depth in the wood block at the headstock end. I stopped the CNC.

22.PNG

I decided that the remaining of the headstock would be finished manually.

Finally restarted the program to do the truss rod channel, and god knows why it started off center.

23.PNG

Re-positioned everything and it was worse (no picture)

It was now 4pm. This was a hard day in the shop.

What I hate about the CNC process is that you have to trust the code to do things properly. I think this is the last time I try a Gibson style neck on the CNC. There is a lot of complexity programming the tool path. The piece of wood is 3 inch thick, the tools are not that long. So you have to do a lot of planning to make sure you use the proper tool in the proper manner and not hit the wood.

One other problem, the neck tenon is 1mm too wide for the mortise. How did that happen? Can't say. For sure there is something wrong in my model.

24.PNG

19. BluesBlooded

I will try the neck once again, but old school. I'll make templates and shape the neck by hand.

I have this leftover piece of mahogany from my LP build. If I'm frugal I probably can fit two neck in that piece. You can see on that picture the second attempt at the truss rod channel

25.PNG

26.PNG

27.PNG

28.PNG

20. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2015
    Saskatchewan
    That's OK Andre some of us can make a bigger mess with conventional tools:lol:

robt57 and Barncaster like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.