Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sweet Little Angel

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BluesBlooded, Mar 30, 2016.

1. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

I'm a B.B. King fan.

I was introduce to B.B by U2 and their collaboration work on Rattle and Hum's "When love comes to town"

I bought one of B.B.'s greatest hits compilation and fell in love with songs like How blue can you get and Why I sing the blues.

From that moment on, Blues became my favorite style of music.

In 2001, BB performed in Montreal, he was 75 years old at the time. He had to sit throughout the show because his knees were bad. He gave a great show I'll always remember.

A few weeks before the show I wrote on his forum suggesting to add How blue can you get to the song list. I never got a reply to that post.

At about the middle of the show, he started those few notes I knew by heart and played How Blue Can You Get. I was extatic. What a great man!

Naturally, I always wanted a Lucille guitar and knew one day I would build one.

Now that my CNC is ready and I'm gaining confidence, I started to work on a 3D model of the guitar and started to document the process in the DIY Shed.

I decided to start a thread in the Home Depot.

I will not do a ply construction. This will be carved. So in that respect, this thread will not be about proper construction technique.

I will add personnal touches making this build my own tribute to B.B.

This will be a lengthy thread with the end not even close to be in sight. I have a lot of work to do on the modeling side first.

I enjoy Marty's and Robert's thread on how to model guitars for CNC work. It's been a great resources for me. Many friends here have helped me throughout my guitar and CNC building adventure and I owe them a great deal.

This is my way of paying everyone back. I will therefore try to document as best as I can the process I'm using to create this wonderful guitar starting with the modeling itself. If you are not into 3D modeling, you'll find this boring.

Keep in mind, this stuff is all new to me and I do not know what I'm doing. This will also be a learning experience for me.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    It's going to be a great ride to follow, Andre!

Oddly enough, I think my first real exposure to BB King was hearing his work with U2 as well. I knew his name before but never really listened to him. Rattle and Hum was HUGELY popular with the folks I hung around with when it first came out, so of course I got a copy and fell in love with When Love Comes to Town.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Looking forward to it Andre! BB King was the best thing to happen to blues. He maybe wasn't the best player technically but his style is well known and copied. I could listen to him all day. I would think The Thrill Is Gone probably started it for him in the mainstream back in 69 or 70.

4. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Great story! My late best friend shares B.B. King's birthday & I share Muddy Water's. I've been a blues fan since the '70's, starting with Johnny Winter & many of those blues rockers who were inspired by the blues greats. Inevitably, I traced back to the roots of the earliest legends of the genre, about a century ago. The blues will inspire & make your playing better, finding & developing your own voice...enjoy!

5. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Andre, sounds like a great project. I'm a huge BBK fan. I was lucky to have seen him half a dozen times. I got to chat with him once; what a gracious and friendly man.

6. BluesBlooded

Enjoy the ride Roger! I Remember seeing the Rattle and Hum movie in a theater and it was funny when BB said to Bono, I'm no good with chords. Bono replied not to worry, the Edge would take care of that and they were like only two chords in this song.

Thanks Richard, The thrill is gone is a great BB Signature song.

Born for the Blues!

Bill, you are lucky! Wish I could have talked to him, can't imagine what I would've said though.

Blue Bill, Frank'n'censed and src9000 like this.

7. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Looking forward to reading your doc.
    Did you ever add How Blue to your repertoire?

8. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Mr. King was also the very first blues artist I witnessed in a live setting...Lucifer's was a subterranean, supper club. That amazing experience wet my appetite for all those great artists I've been fortunate enough to see, over the decades!

9. BluesBlooded

Over the next few days I will document what I did to get to where I am at this moment. If you read my CNC build thread, there will be some repetition, but I plan to give more details.

I use Rhino 3D version 5. I'm getting a lot better with this software and I grew to love it. It is not as easy as sketchup but it is far more versatile. Apart from some Sketchup basic drawings, I had no previous experience in 3D design.

Bear in mind, I have never owned a Lucille before, nor did I ever see one close, not even an ES 335. I will do this from plans and images. Feel free to point my errors.

I will use the DOT ES 335 plan floating around as my reference and the information available on Gibson's website

I captured different views of this plan and dragged them into Rhino's top and front view

[​IMG]

I adjust the transparancy settings to roughly 80% so I can still see the lines of the plan in the background while seeing my work

[​IMG]

Made box guides to set the plan to the proper size using the scale command. I used a 16.5in width by 20in height.

[​IMG]

I also added the elevation curves to the top view

[​IMG]

Once I'm satisfied with the size and location of the images, I put them in each their layer and lock them down. This way I will not alter it by inadvertence

[​IMG]

I learned to use many layers and it is really helpful. It keeps things tidy and clean.

I drew a curve for the body. As you can see it is not a precise location stuff. You can use Curve/Free Form/Interpolate curve instead and the points will stay where you click instead of Curve/Free Form/Control Points. Either method will work.

[​IMG]

Next turned control points on and selected the curve

[​IMG]

Started to move every single points until I was happy with the curve location

[​IMG]

Once that was completed, I copied the curve to it's own layer and locked it down

10. BluesBlooded

Thanks Steve! Oddly enough, I play no songs of BB. Contrary to him, I have more ease with chords. I'm not a natural player. Everything I play is a struggle. A while back. I started to tab How Blue Can You Get but got distracted to so many easier things to do. I guess now that I'm engaged to build this guitar, I have no other choice but to learn one.

It's great to see how an artist can touch so many people in so many different ways. I love to hear these different experience. It motivates me even more to make this build a reality.

MarkJT, src9000 and Frank'n'censed like this.

11. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    This is a great thread. I've just started using Rhino for a couple of designs so this will give me a much needed insight! I'll be watching

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Awesome! You'll prolly finish before me...

13. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sacramento
    My wife got front row tickets to BB at the Fox theater in Oakland Ca. It was an incredible show. I think when I was 10 or 11 my Dad got me listening to BB and I've been a blues guy ever since. Love his style and playing. Looking forward to this build.

14. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Andre,
    This will be fantastic! Will it be piano black or might you consider possibly adding a little flake to the finish? Jup really wanted to ask this but didn't......
    [​IMG]
    Rob

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Well, I'd just assumed...

16. BluesBlooded

Mat, Rhino is great, once I started to understand it better.

We will be closer to the finish line than you think. So far, I have no wood, no hardware, no budget and two LP's to complete.

Front row, that must have been awesome.

Rob, I have a plan. I'm not a 100% committed to it yet. I can say that it does not involve flakes.

You know what they say about assuming...

17. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    WHAT, NO FLAKES!!!

VERY impressed with how fast you have picked up the Rhino stuff Andre! This is gonna be cool.
    Really enjoyed the prologue too. Blues lovers probably all started with one song or artist that blew them away. For me it was SRV.
    He just killed me. Still does. Lots of greats out there but for me SRV is tops.
    I went out and got a guitar and started learning SRV stuff (which of course I've never come close to doing justice to).
    And from then on a blues-aholic.

Steve

18. BluesBlooded

Thanks Steve, SRV is the second Bluesman I fell for and Pride and Joy was one of the first song I was able to learn completely from Youtube tutorials. No matter how many times I practice it, I suck big time, but nonetheless, I always have wonderful feelings when I start to play the song over the recording.

I started building guitars from parts when I wanted to have a SRV #1. I started with a squier bullet that I upgraded until it looked good to me. I sold it and was able to buy the real Fender SRV signature series that once again turned into a reliced #1. I eventually sold it again with all my other guitars to buy tools to build guitars. Never owned a commercial guitar since. I do miss that one though, I was really satisfied with the look of it.

19. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    [​IMG]

So funny! OK Andre, no holds barred! Here is the ORIGINAL SphincterTones band playing a work Christmas party some years back. Playlist: Pride and Joy (SRV), Scuttlebuttin (SRV), Hideaway, Riviera Paradise (SRV), and some other stuff.

20. Coolhand23

Coolhand23 TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Midwest
    A million paths to the blues! I saw Freddie King as the middle act in a JJ Cale, Freddie King, Leon Russell show the summer before my senior year in high school. Freddie blew me away. I took in another concert that fall where Freddie was again in the number two spot with Muddy Waters as the main act. Freddie was preceded by a band that I had (at that time) never heard of, ZZ Top when they had just released their 2nd album. Needless to say, it was a terrific show and I have, like many, been a blues buff since. Never got the Jones for BB although I do have a couple of his albums in my library. I tended toward Muddy, Elmore James, Howlin' Wolf, etc. before working my way back to Skip James, Roosevelt Sykes, Blind Blake, and the early generation of blues singers. Its all good and to each their own.

Newbcaster likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.