Swart Space Tone Reverb Tweed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Kitarkus, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Well...I made an offer which was (surprisingly) accepted today on Ebay. Advertised as a STR but is in fact an STR Tweed in dark tweed finish. Pawn shop seller in Illinois....somebody took off the Swart badge and replaced with a unique badge of their own (which I can likely change back to original). APPEARS to have a Weber 12a150 alnico speaker but Seller did not provide a good photo (I'll bet I'm right). Appears dead mint...is the version with the standby switch and rocket (boost) switch....and includes a Studio Slips padded cover. I'll report back after I receive it....but for $700 + $50 shipping I'm giving it a go. Expensive but seems like a great bargain for this amp to me. 30 day return policy so I should escape being duped if necessary.

I'm tired of searching for a decent champ and seeing the prices so I figured this may be an excellent alternative while I wait for a unicorn to stroll by.

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

if it's anything like the one I played, it IS the unicorn . . .

3. Wallaby

Wallaby TDPRI Member

I think you'll like it :)

I love mine...

El Tele Lobo and Kitarkus like this.
  4. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Excellent....good to hear. Now the wait...made particularly more difficult due to the Seller's horrible ad/auction and descriptions. They were wrong about so much including the model of the amp....and I got a bargain price. Hopefully this one works out in my favor. I should know what I bought next week lol.

5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great Buy!! Great Price too!! I have a Swart AST and it's mini me AST jr. and love them both! You can take all my amps, but those,,, and my Ceriatone JTM45;)

Kitarkus likes this.
  6. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

I seldom hear a negative word about these Swarts....I have no ability to try/hear one in my city. At this price I am willing to give it a go and I'm excited to do so! Thanks for the encouragement....now please hold my credit cards for me.

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I used one at a club jam in Montreal - great small amp.

Kitarkus likes this.
  8. Wallaby

Wallaby TDPRI Member

I swapped around tubes until I found what sounded best to me - a pair of long-plate 12ax7's in v1 & v2, a gz34 rectifier, and a 6v6.

You can also put a 6l6 or a 5y3 in it, but I think a 6l6 requires a gz34. Not totally sure about that. I preferred the 6v6/gz34 combination.

Interesting that yours has a Weber alnico speaker, I'm pretty sure the stock speaker for these have been Mojotone ceramic speakers - which is what's in mine and sounds pretty good.

Kitarkus likes this.
  9. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My AST, with the Mojotone speaker. For me, the absolutely perfect grab and go amp!
    20190420_005409.jpg

RJ

10. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Yes...several things made me pause. Swart badge replaced w/custom, speaker not original, and Seller calling the amp a STR instead of an STR tweed (not only different name but different circuits between these amps). Seller showed only the very corner of the speaker...enough that I knew it has been swapped from original. Kelly at Swart kindly took a look at the photo and immediately responded "Weber Alnico and guys DO like that speaker in these amps". I also can see that the 6V6 is a Mesa. The amp appears to have been loved (great condition and custom cover) and the previous owner liked it enough to modify tubes, speaker etc. I also really prefer the 'dark tweed' so lucked out on that account. I'm pretty pumped to have won this auction at $700 and at that price happily accept the badge/speaker replacements.

You'll laugh....but I dumped by Bjr a long time ago for a super champ XD. I actually really like the XD for my purposes (office/bedroom tinkering around) but have been on the hunt for something pure tube and more responsive. While searching for a vintage champ I decided to pounce on this. I'm waiting to be certain that the amp arrives and is as expected....but if so....I plan to put a night light or night light jr. with this STR Tweed...perfect setup for my office.

I had really been more interested in the lesser ST6V6SE or Atomic Jr. but never pulled the trigger simply because I did not like the controls location at the back of the cabinet. This STR Tweed if as expected is a much better alternative.

11. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Great amp, great price! Swarts have been on my short list for a long time -- I ended up getting an AC30 clone recently so I'm tapped out of the new amp market for a while.

Kitarkus likes this.
  12. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Hey....what is the key difference between the Night Light and the Night Light Jr.?....any reason you didn't go with the smaller version?

rjtwangs likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Sounds exciting, man. Post a demo vid when you get it. Hope it's all you expect and more.

14. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Jr is smaller to be able to fit inside their smaller amps. The Jr also has less features than the Night Light. Mine came along with amp when I bought it. I also have this great padded two tone cover from undercovernyc.com
    20170810_124950.jpg

RJ

Kitarkus likes this.
  15. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Best of luck and enjoy it forever !!!

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope it turns out well. Good score!

I bet if you posted some of the auction pictures we could tell you more about it.

Kitarkus likes this.
  17. Kitarkus

Kitarkus TDPRI Member

Kelly at Swart confirmed that this is the newer STR-Tweed...and guessed that the speaker is Weber Alnico of some variety. Here are the photos from the auction. Ships Monday FedEx so I should have no later than Thursday. I am hopeful that I can remove that badge and replace with a Swart badge without creating scars but I have my doubts.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  18. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nice score. The NL Jr is only for 5 watt amps. The larger NL can handle up to 20w or so. It has compression that can be switched in or out and can run a line out to another amp for a stereo setup.

guitrr, rjtwangs and Kitarkus like this.
  19. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Be careful removing the badge. That dark tweed marks up easily.

Kitarkus likes this.
  20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

That looks like a perfect amp for a lot of things I do. Congrats!

Kitarkus likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.