Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Swapping Mini HB for Firebird ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by steve v, Feb 10, 2013.

1. steve v

steve v Tele-Meister

Right now, I have a Lollar mini HB in the neck of my Tele along with a Special T in the bridge. Sometimes I find the middle position tone to be a little thick for my liking and I was wondering what switching to a Firebird pickup would do. Any issue with fitting in the mini HB routing/pickguard ? Thanks

edit - I should also add that I have been experimenting with lowering the pickup but raising the poles with some success, so I guess I'm just curious about the swap

2. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I'd ask Lollar about the fit, if I were you. That said, they appear to share the same dimensions. The Firebird style will be a brighter pickup. The Mini will break up sooner. I've had both styles in the neck position of Teles in the past and liked them both.

3. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

I agree as the Firebird uses a ceramic bar magnet talk about BRIGHT, and dependent upon whether or not the Mini HB utilizes A5 or A2 magnets also makes a difference as to break up, A2 breaking up quicker. Some tinkerers might just change out the A5 or A2 magnets themselves in their Mini HB (as in your case) or just buy another Mini HB pup with the preferred magnet type.

Seymour makes an Antiquity II Mini HB that utilizes A5 magnets, and Seymour used to carry a stock Mini HB that utilized A2 magnets (but I couldn't find them on his website).

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kmac

kmac Tele-Meister

You need to widen the mini hb hole a bit.

6. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

My Firebird p/up from the '60s had dual single coils around an AlNiCo magnet set up for HB.They've changed to ceramic at Gibson. The old school ones aren't made by anyone ?

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Doctor of Teleocity

You could lower your mini HB a little, and raise your
    bridge pickup.
    Might help with the middle position problem.

8. steve v

steve v Tele-Meister

That's pretty much what I did, and with good results. Now the bridge pickup is a bit too bright on its own unless I roll the tone back. Time to order new tubes and build a new guitar I guess :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.