Swapped the CTS Alnicos with Eminence Legends! (Super Reverb content)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RaistMagus, Jan 11, 2019.

1. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

So, I swapped the original CTS Alnicos of my '73 SR with Eminence Legends 1028K. And wow! The Legends sound like the originals but better. The cone breaks up quite early (as in the originals) but they feel more responsive and alive than the tired 1973 speakers.

The old speakers sounded a bit mushy and I have been thinking of replacing them for a long time. Very happy I finally did, highly recommended : )

Anyone out there gone with the Eminence? How about mixing the Alnicos with 1058 ceramics?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I know that @Wally has done this (used the 1028k) many times in amps like that, and he speaks just as highly of the results. I don't know about mixing with a 1058. Perhaps he's done that too and can help you there. Congratulations on finding "that sound"!

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I first installed ALK1028’s in a BFSR maybe 24 years ago, and as in every other application they did and still do a great job. I have never mixed with the 1058. In fact, I have vpnever used the 1058. It looks as if the 1058 has a push in the 2k region that the ALK does not have. Ime, the ALK has never lacked anything up there. I like what the ALK does clean...plenty of sparkle and good lows; and I started using it for one main reason....it is smooth on the high end when handling distortion.

24 track and JustABluesGuy like this.
  4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I have 1028Ks in several amps, have liked them in almost every amp I’ve tried them in. Never tried a 1028K with another Emi ceramic, so I can’t offer an opinion there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

I recently built a 2X10 cab with the Emi 1028k's - primarily on the recommendation of @Wally - and they are great. I use them with a '66 Tremolux head and it makes me happy. I have a weekly gig and that's what I take. I also have a regular day job otherwise, and don't really have the time to do much experimentation

I haven't had the time or inclination to mix speakers in a cab, but I think there are other members here who have and seem to like it.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I’ve thought about mixing one of my 1028ks with a ceramic, but haven’t actually tried it yet. Mine sound so great on their own I doubt it would be an improvement.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I put a Legend 1058 in my Super Champ XD. It sounds spectacular now. Great speaker.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Chicago Slim and JustABluesGuy like this.
  8. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I also love 1058s. I have them in my '81 Super Reverb and installed one recently in a 70s Princeton that had a blown speaker.

I've used 1258s in a number of Fender-type builds as well, and have never been disappointed.

Chicago Slim likes this.
  9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Funny I swapped two blue alnicos and two weber DT 10's for a set of cts alnicos...which are better? I'd give the edge to the new ones too....guess I bought into the hype of cts alnicos are the best ever speakers in supers. not a whole lot of difference to my ears but the sweetness of the new ones with humbuckers was outstanding

10. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Glad to hear that the consencus is that the 1028Ks are great speakers! And also good to know that others, too, prefer newer speakers to the iconic CTS ones, some useful myth-busting : )

What helped me take the decision of swapping speakers after many years of owning this amp is when I also got a brand new Vox AC30. I still prefer the tonal character of the Super, but the Vox had something the SR didn't have. It was cleaner in a nice way and the mids and highs were more responsive. Then, listening to videos/reviews of SR speakers I noticed that they sounded chimier than mine. Having made sure that the electronics were working properly, it was time to try new speakers.

11. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Of the 10's I've used a pair of 1028 are the best.

1058's are more efficient with tight bass,
    and they h
    but lack the liveliness of the alnico's.

I tried the ceramic/alnico mix, but definitely find two 1028's best.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've had 1028's in several amps. First I had it mixed with a modern Jensen C10Q in a 2x10 cabinet I ran my Bassman 50 through. It was a great mix. I have had several alnico/ceramic mixes and been quite happy with them... But, all have included modern Jensens.

Currently I have a pair of 1028's matched up with a pair of Jensen P10R's in my '59 Bassman Ri. What a great combo this is! with 4 P10R's the treble was a little brittle, just a touch. Adding the two 1028's smoothed up the treble just enough. But, it also tightened up the bass as well. Low volume cleans and higher volume overdrive... Everything just sings with this amp.

I got to thinking and I have not had a 1058, either. I had a 1258 for a while, matched up with a Celestion Creamback 65 in my '58 Twin. I replaced them with a Jensen 12-100 and Creamback Neo to lighten the amp up. But, the 1258 and CB65 were a great sounding pair! But, sadly, not really germane to the current discussion.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.