Swapped bridge pickup = hum and crackling

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Telepirate86, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Telepirate86

Telepirate86 TDPRI Member

So I swapped my bridge pickup today. Initially when I put it in everything was fine, other than the tinny sound I was getting from the pickups because I mixed up the hot and ground wires for the bridge pickup. No deal..opened it back up and switched the wires. Plug it in after the fact and its humming and crAckling badly, and its hard to say whether or not the pickup is performing at its full strength. If I hold down the volume knob it stops the hum.

I opened it back up ans resoldered the two connections, made sure everything was tinned..but when I plugged it back in..same deal. Now..I noticed my soldering iron wasnt generating enough heat to melt the joints to the pot casing, I had a good deal of trouble with it. So I'm guessing its bad solder joints causing this? The new bridge has a little wire soldered to the baseplate, which acts as the ground..right? So I'm all set there.

2. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

if the pickup in question has one of its leads soldered to the base plate, that strap must be broken before swapping that pickup's leads. the reason for that strapping is to create a string ground ... add another under the bridge and solder it to the back of any pot.

3. Telepirate86

What do you mean broken?

4. Telepirate86

The old bridge I took out didnt have a base plate, its ground wire was cut and soldered to a metal attachment under the rubber washer, and another wire from the attachment going to the pot. Is that you youre saying to do?

5. Rob DiStefano

does the new bridge pickup have one of it's leads soldered to its base plate? if so, and THAT lead is used as the hot lead, you MUST break (cut) the that grounding strap. if you already have an under bridge string ground then there's nothing else to do for string grounding.

6. Telepirate86

This is what I have.
    324d40aa-9327-495a-a95a-d938a2c5fae5.JPG

7. Rob DiStefano

IF you are using the black wire as the hot lead, you must cut the soldered strap you've circled in red. do that, and yer good to go.

8. Telepirate86

Just cut it and that's that? Nothing else?

9. Rob DiStefano

yes, that's it - break and separate that ground plate connection. why? because IF you use that black pickup lead as the hot lead to the switch (or volume pot or straight signal out to the jack) and use the yellow pickup lead to ground, you'd be introducing a ground to the signal if you didn't break that plate string ground.

CFFF likes this.
  10. Telepirate86

Ok. Should it matter which wire I use for which? Becausd for some reAson when I had it the other way the pickups didnt sound right. Tinny sounding

11. Telepirate86

And just to be cleAr, that picture isn't the exact pickup I'm using. I just was showing you that particular wire it has.

12. Rob DiStefano

"tinny sounding" sounds like out-of-phase, which means that one of the two pickups needs to have its wires flipped.

have you checked the top magnetic polarity? one should be different from the other.

all of the above means that IF you want to achieve a humbucking mode with both pickups, one needs to be RWRP - reverse wind, reverse polarity.

13. Telepirate86

Okay. Next time I open it I will switch the bridge wires back and maybe switch the neck pickup wires.

14. Rob DiStefano

is the bridge pickup's black wire being used as its hot lead and did you break the bridge pickup's ground strap?

15. Telepirate86

I didnt break it. I cant remember which wire, will have to check when I get off work. I think I may have put the black on the 3 way switch.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  16. Rob DiStefano

if those two are true, that's the issue - cut the plate's ground strap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.