Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Swamp Ash: what finish would you do?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peckhammer, Jun 29, 2017.

1. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Rob Chapman has his ML-1 Tele knock-off with a tinted blue satin finish that I really like. Eventually, I want to do something like that.

2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    A little late to the party, but you might want to check out Wudtone for some inspiration. You could use their products, or just as easily get the same effect with products from the hardware store.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Be warned - the yellow will tint blue, red or green stain. I had a body like that I tried to stain blue -turned out green, looked like the Status Quo green Tele. Reds will end up brown/scarlet.

4. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2016
    Jeff City, Mo.
    I'd do ebony grain filler, then whatever color you like.

This was reranch orange over ash, but without and with grain filler, then color and clear.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo likes this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Another vote for "hippie natural", man.

6. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    I'd finish it any color and opacity that I would happen to like.

The forests are full of trees with interesting grain. ;)

You might want to fill the grain with something neutral, and then paint it with some whitish-butterscotchish color...going a bit heavy on the edges...

MohawkToner.jpg

Mohawk makes a whole range of toners that are a delight to use. Champagne Frost has a mid-50s vibe to it.

:)

7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    I used an oil stain on mine. I forget the manufacturer (maybe Behlen), but the color was "aged varnish". Then Minwax Honey Pine polyurethane, one coat.

8. ygunners02

ygunners02 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 1, 2017
    UK
    1 coat of colourtone brown stain followed by 4 coats of Danish oil.This is my first attempt at finishing a body and I'm pleased with it.Wanted the wood to look natural

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.