Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Swamp Ash: what finish would you do?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peckhammer, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Natural, stain, paint, pickle, shellac, true oil?

What would you do to this swamp ash body if it were yours?

IMG_4440.JPG

dallasblues likes this.

2. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    I would go blonde Nitrocellulose lacquer!

3. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    Last one like I had like that - Reranch Butterscotch Blonde. If you go that route, stop before it gets too yellow. The color intensity builds quickly; mine took less than three coats.

Next one (for me) will be Mary Kaye white.

Whatever you do, don't cover that beautiful grain.

Flakey and Peckhammer like this.

4. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    What grain filler would you suggest?

5. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Transparent seafoam/surf green or daphne blue! Something like this but with that bit of blue or green added :D[​IMG]

Flakey likes this.

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

3 coats of Behlen's Sanding sealer sanded back to 320 after final coat, blonde or burst to taste. Then coats of Behlen's nitro clear. Go thru sanding schedule. Polish to high gloss finish.

Peckhammer likes this.

7. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I would want a transparent black on that sanded back to accentuate the grain.

RyCo1983 and Peckhammer like this.

8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't because the originals weren't but if only want to intensify the grain coming through I would go with Timbermate. Water based, non toxic, reuse the dust just by adding water. It makes its own sauce. :) I smells like band aids!

Just seal the body before applying and again after its completely dry.

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Clear nitro or Tru Oil, single ply black pickguard.

Milspec likes this.

10. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I used the oil-based grain filler (natural) from Reranch. They don't offer tinted filler any more, or I might have tried dark walnut to accentuate the grain. As it is, the grain is pretty nice on mine without the contrast.

You can also order oil-based filler direct from Mohawk. They have the light (natural), mahogany, and walnut. Their price isn't bad either, but if memory serves, it's only in quarts. That's a LOT of grain filler.

Oh, and to amend my earlier post, the Reranch BSB took less than TWO coats (three passes each). Three coats would have yielded a monstrosity.

11. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I grain fill with lacquer.

12. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    Definitely something that doesn't hide the grain. That thing is purdy! The grain has a delicate look to it in a way or like flowing water or something. I like it!

El Tele Lobo likes this.

13. NICQ

NICQ TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    With such beautiful grain I would apply a dark grainfiller on the whole thing - sand back that filler only is left in the pores - then apply some stain - then Tru Oil finish... definately pop the grain and don't hide it under a semi transparent finish!

I used a dark mahagony porefiller and mahagony stain : http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ash-partscaster-with-truoil-finish.738650/#post-7684346

I'm currently finishing an Ash Tele with black grainfiller :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Tommyd55, Milspec and El Tele Lobo like this.

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Wow. Gorgeous!

15. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free + Supporter

Jul 12, 2005
    east of East St Louis
    I would go with a Mary Kaye white to a very lightly tinted butterscotch.

Flakey and sfcmark like this.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I like natural on that baby

brookdalebill likes this.

17. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Peckhammer,
    I like to let the natural beauty of the wood show itself; and that's a nice looking piece of wood you've got there.

I'm finishing up a similar one now (roasted ash), with a simple, easy finish. A couple coats of shellac to seal, Aqua Coat grain filler, a couple more coats of shellac, then multiple coats of Tru Oil followed by a "polish" with a broken down piece of tan Scotch Brite (ultra-fine) and Johnson's paste wax. Done, and looks pretty good. No spray rig needed and no brain cell killing fumes. I've probably already killed off more of my brain cells than the average bear, so I'm trying to hang onto the few I've got left ;)!!

edit: I just noticed the West Systems epoxy lurking in your photo. What are your plans for that stuff? I've used it with wooden boat construction and liked it pretty well for that purpose.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Peckhammer and El Tele Lobo like this.

18. McCart

McCart TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2016
    California

I use Old Masters oil based filler. It can be tinted with transtints. It works down into the small pores better than anything else I have used. It doesn't shrink real bad either.

Flakey likes this.

19. erickrehemker

erickrehemker TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2017
    US
    The grain is beautiful so I would want that to show through. MAybe a natural sunburst finish. Thats the way I would go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.