Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Svee Wheeler and a relief from bad soldering

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by kencrottyclear, Feb 14, 2017.

1. kencrottyclear

kencrottyclear Former Member

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi all, I haven't really posted before so don't shoot me if I get it wrong. I was recently checking out a guy on youtube (Svee Wheeler) who didn't remove the pickups from a telecaster that he was painting a G & R album cover onto. He simply wrapped them in very small plastice sealer bags and then closed them off.
    I'm going to be refinishing my telecaster soon and I was just wondering what you guys think as I am fairly terrble at soldering and I really do not want to mess with the single pup that I have in my Esquire.

Any comments?

2. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    Won't the pickup come out when you remove the bridgeplate?

3. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2011
    Baltimore
    I guess you could leave it dangling but soldering back a single pup is something anyone willing to repaint their guitar should be able to do.

cmclayton101 and Piggy Stu like this.

4. kencrottyclear

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    You don't need to leave it dangling, you can just tape it down and unfortunately I do not have staedy hands, but thanks for the reply.

5. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    Doing a new finish is more demanding than soldering.

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Painting a finish on top of a guitar and refinishing a guitar are two different things. Remove the electronics and neck. Have someone help re-attach when you are done - and label your wires!

$0.02.

7. kencrottyclear

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Unixfish,

I stripped the body and took the neck off last night & I've most of the sanding done now and I'll post a pic when it's complete. I've also cut the control plate to a shape I prefer and I've left the electronics in but they are wrapped so if it works, it works.

The idea is to use decoupage to recover the body and then chalk paint and lacquer over that to get a matte finish. Stripped body.jpg I'm trying not to use any environmentally unfriendly products & my tool selcetion is quite small, but here's hoping.

Attached Files:

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the forum!

String_____________:::]

9. kencrottyclear

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Stringbanger,

The eco build goes on...

K

10. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Looks like you have a nice start to that process.

I don't do well with wood or finishes - not my forte - but the wiring and the soldering would not bother me. Then again, I work in IT and when I was younger I used to solder RS232 connectors for the data center in school. If I label wires and take pictures so I remember where stuff goes, and I would be OK - even though I have not done wiring on a guitar before.

So, I think I would not be bothered by soldering, but I would really hesitate to do the refinish part. Funny how that works!

Post your results in the main Tele forum when you are finished - or chronicle your work at each phase. We love pics!

11. kencrottyclear

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks Unixfish, I was never great with electronics but at this stage I have fairly bad arthritis in my hands so soldering just ends up being a disaster....let's hope the finish doesn't end up the same lol!

The body is totally sanded now so I've used a sheet of glass and some tracing paper to get a good outline of the body with gaps for the bridge and the controls rout.

Unfortunately after all of my effort I've had to take out the electronics after all, but I klnow a good guitar tech for a long time so he's said that he'll put it back together for very little.

Next step is to put supports in the swimming pool rout and decoupage the body. I've attached more pics. Like I said, the idea is to use all eco frienly products but see can I still get a good result.

The idea was also based on two reults I saw on TDPRI as well so I've out there pictures up as well and body.jpg cut out 3.jpg Musikraft Paisley.jpg Cabronita.jpg Tracing Paper.jpg thanks to the guys who posted them.

12. kencrottyclear

May 6, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland
    Howdy,

I've been busy but here's an update for anyone who is interested. I've got a chalk paint undercoat on the body and I've attached some predrilled dowels as of today. I'm using a product called Sugru which is biodegradeable and stopped me from having to use wood glue.

So far so good, tomorrow hopefully I'll be covering up the rout hole and control cavity gap and after that it's decoupage glue time.

I'm still not sure that this is going to work but ionward and upeward.

Cheers,

K IMG_20170227_133326033_HDR.jpg IMG_20170227_142903702.jpg IMG_20170227_133339952.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.