Suspended my Facebook account tonight

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, Jun 26, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I didn't totally delete my account, just suspended it, and for a time, can open it up again just as it was if I would choose to do so.

I doubt that I will though.

My best use of FB was to post new guitar designs on it for exposure and feedback, and also to direct those that may be interested in them to where they could be purchased, but I'm at a point where my guitar designing days are coming to a close and very few, if any, new ones will be created, so that part of it has lost its importance.

I'm becoming more and more of a social hermit, and don't cultivate close family associations either.

I'm still relatively active on several internet forums, two guitar-related and two motorcycle ones, but that's about it these days.

william tele likes this.
  2. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I keep it open for family, close friends/schoolmates, and to support some artist friends. I almost never post, and I've found that that cut waaaay down on crap in that "feed" (what a name, like we're all pigs at the trough).

teletimetx likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have no time for political cheerleaders or religious zealots, and I am certain that dog doesn't even know what social media is, much less care whether it's going to get a single share, or not. I have simply unfollowed all those that partake in those behaviors, and blocked those who feel the need to argue about it.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I miss a lot of my side of the family stuff because my wife is the only one on Facebook.

Rethinking my aversion to FB (because I don’t want people from ancient history contacting me) in light of my wife’s “forgetfulness”...o_O

william tele likes this.
  5. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

There's the rub. :(

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I was so worried we were going to end the week without a facebook rant.

I joined a national motorcycle club. They have a forum like this and a Facebook page. Guess what gets more traction?

That said, I greatly pruned back some of the people I'm "friends" with. If I know you from a music venue and all you post is political nonsense, I unfollow. If I miss your gig or an opportunity, oh well. But I will tell you to your face thats why.

7. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

The, true opiate of the masses. I had to bail as well. I cant stand the 'publishing' company politically.

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Social tedia.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

I do 1980s Facebook. If I want to talk to you, I bring beer to your house and we talk.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish my wife would get off of it. Even though she uses it just for family contacts, it seems like too much information and too many interruptions. I think she spends less time on her bass playing because of it.

She has one sister with some cheap a** phone carrier in Wisconsin, such that when my wife is sending a photo from her iPhone, she has to set is on a tuna can in the window facing the nearest cell tower about 15 miles away.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: She doesn't need to do this with people as far away as Europe.o_O

TDPRI is my sole social media ... and that is enough for me.

11. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Facebook: don't care to participate in the surveillance state. Who would want to willingly be a part of allowing personal information to be collected, collated, sold and used. It feels like Patrick McGoohan in The Prisoner "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Now of course there are facial recognition programs running in many public places, but who wants to help feed it? They can pull up your name, address, DL and SS numbers, but at least the particulars of your life could be your own, assuming it hasn't been given away to Facebook over the last so many years. Maybe.

12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

The other day when talking about this subject, the question that came up was "What's wrong with a freaking phone call?"

8trackmind likes this.
  13. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't post or have many friends on FB but I really like the Groups. There is one that has discussions of all the current crime in my area and it's unbelievable the stuff that never makes it to the news. There's a huge coverup going on.

william tele likes this.
  14. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Well, it's my first, and I wanted to use the coupon before it expired.

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Well played.

william tele likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I deleted it completely a year or so ago. I don't really miss it. It really went downhill into a terrible mess, and I feel like the company actively tried to turn it into a mess. Promoted stuff, ads, monkeying with what they show you in the feed to keep you addicted, etc... (they bump up that political stuff cause they know it pisses people off and gets them to fight with each other which means more time on FB getting ads blasted into their eyes.)

My wife is hopelessly addicted.. I had hoped it would help us connect a bit more when I got off. Nope. She's on FB all freaking day from the minute she wakes up to the minute she goes to bed.

The only time it annoys me is when bands, businesses, etc.. only put their updates on Facebook. I can usually see the stuff on facebook's website but it doesn't work real well when you're not a member. They won't let you see much and they pepper you with popups that you need to join.

I feel like I gained a lot of time when I quit. FB was mostly a thing I pulled out when I wasn't sure what to do with my time and it always felt like a time killer/time waster. I seem to always find something more productive to do with it.

And almost any other type of online community (e.x. TDPRI) seems to be more productive and less contentious. FB almost seems like it has anti-moderation.. the more stuff pisses people off the more they seem to like it.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My niece just went on two grand trips. One by plane and the other by Chevy Suburban. Facebook told a grand tale of a young couple and their four young children building memories that will last a lifetime. I was glad to be a part of it even in the small way of being an observer to it all. I ignore commercials on tv and Facebook with equal ease.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  18. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I deleted my account years ago. I came to realize that people, including myself, were spending too much time looking at other people’s lives and not living there own. Plus, I agree with the OP that the didactic memes and photos of food just got to be too much...all that time reading through posts and looking at profiles of people you’re only sort of acquainted with was wasted, especially when you consider you could have been practicing scales or arpeggios, or visiting with your real friends and family... I always thought it funny that Facebook is considered a social media website, but in all reality it diminishes real social behavior....of course this is just my opinion, and one could make the same claim about the time I just wasted writing this response....

Anyhow....how about a Tele pic...

6262714D-E6F4-4648-AFA8-01CF350FE308.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  19. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I report every sponsored ad as spam.

faulp likes this.
  20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Many of my real friends & family use FB so I stay one. I only spend about 10 minutes a day on it and like it for what it is.

I have no personal info on it, no notifications outside the FB platform and location services off. I was able to stop nearly all ads & other unwanted stuff from showing up with a few taps on my iPhone. Anything new that shows up that I don’t want is made gone for good in a similar manner, so no problem there for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.