Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Surprising great new amp

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by DougM, Dec 6, 2018.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd grown disappointed in my Mustang GT40 and Boss Katana 50's ability to sound bright, clear, and full at the very low volume that I play at, and I remembered how whenever I wanted to jam at the store where I worked, I'd always plug into one of the Vox VX series amps, because they had that ability in spades. And even though the VX II has a bigger speaker, I remembered that I actually thought the VX I sounded better to me. So, I looked on Ebay, and found SW selling them there, where they offered free shipping. If I order directly from their website they want to charge shipping to Hawaii, even though everyone else in the country gets free shipping from them. So I bought it from them on Ebay. I ordered it on Saturday night, they shipped it FedEx on Sunday morning, and it arrived on Tuesday. That's great service. Well, my memory was right. It sounds bright and clear, but also full and sweet at low volume, never thin or shrill. Of course, depending on which amp model you use, some tweaking of the tone controls is required to achieve that. The way that they've tuned the ported cab to the speaker to increase bass response, as in a stereo speaker or studio monitor really works, and is a lot better than just throwing a speaker in a cabinet, like most guitar amps which don't really use modern speaker cabinet technology as is used in all audio speakers. The Dumble clean, Dumble overdrive, Tweed Bassman, and Marshall JCM800 models all sound great, and the Dumble clean takes overdrive pedals well. The Deluxe Reverb model sounds a bit too shrill and edgy even with the treble turned down, and the Vox AC30 models, both TB and non-TB ones, aren't very good either. The high gain Marshall, Soldano, and MB Dual Recto models are good sounding too, although that's not my style really. The delay and reverb sounds are decent, but I really haven't tried the modulation effects, 'cause I really only tend to use delay or reverb anyway. It doesn't have USB like the VX II, so no computer tweaking is posssible, which isn't my thing anyway. I like simplicity, and don't like being tethered to a computer. Overall, the best amp I've found for my home use at any price, and certainly well worth the paltry $100 asking price. I'm quite satisfied with it for my purposes. Way to go Vox! preview.jpg preview1.jpg l3d08kulfpmbezzjv3kz.jpg

Nickadermis, teletimetx and Bluego1 like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Brother that's a steal, amp for the price of a cheap pedal,,, Bravo!

Nickadermis likes this.
  3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Washington
    I just got the VTX 40 yesterday. A bittersweet NAD. Wife hustled it to the wrapping paper room. Fml.

8barlouie likes this.
  4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I run a fishman amp with a zoom g5 into it with similar results.
    Great at any volume up to its 50 watts.
    More versitile, (vox/acoustic/electric) but that is a great all in one package there.
    Great for say a traveling businesman.
    Just an awsum grab and go.

5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Looks like a MicroCube on steroids. ;)

6. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Just listened to a youtube demo... it does sound good!

7. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Am I understanding properly that the "Boutique" settings are modeling Dumble amps?

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They're supposed to be, which is why I called them "Dumble" models, rather than boutique. I don't know how Dumble-like they are, but they sound great, and are my favorite models on this amp, and the main reason I bought it and love it so much.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Chicago Slim and joealso like this.
  9. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I toyed with the idea if getting a VT20 instead, but I didn't really need or want all the extra bells and whistles on it, although when the sounds are sorted out, it may have more to offer, and sound even better. But, I just wanted and liked the simplicity of the VX I, and its ability to dial in sounds I liked quickly and easily. The VT20 just seemed more like the Mustang and Katana, in having to scroll through a lot more sounds and settings to find tones that I like. And, the VT20 may also be like the Fender and Boss, in having to be louder to get the clarity I like, 'cause one of the main reasons (if not THE main reason) that I got the VX I is its ability to be clear at very low volume.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Bluego1 likes this.
  10. LBrewski

LBrewski TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Sep 30, 2008
    SoCAL
    I recently acquired a VX1 (for a real low price) and am really impressed. Such good sound out of light, compact package. Agree that the boutique settings are the best, but the others are decent (I don't mess with the high gain ones).
    I got rid of my other practice amp, and then found one of these used for my good friend because he loved mine so much.
    Also makes me want wonder if the bigger Vox modeling amps are as good as the VX1; maybe to replace my Mustang III.

Chicago Slim likes this.
  11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    I bought the VXII, because I liked the Boutique (Dumble) Clean channel, on my old AD50VT. I went through two of them, in less than two years. I had a Pathfinder 15R for six years, and the VX's are much better. I do like my Katana 50 better, with single coils. My main amp is a Vox TB18C1.

12. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    South Wales, UK
    I have a Mustang 3 v2 and a Vox VT100X and the Vox is so much simpler to use. No menus to scroll through the amp you select and see is the amp you get. I only plugged it into the PC when I first had it as there are extra amps models available to select from the app which are not built in. Once they are in that's it done. The actual effects are very basic to what is on a Fender or Katana, but the actual "amp" tones are better (to me) than what is available anywhere else in the price range. I seldom use my M3.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

Feb 2, 2015
    South Wales, UK
    Definitely they are, they don't get the recognition they deserve.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.