Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Surf Green with mixol dried too dull.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Aariley5, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Hello,

My name is Aaron. I'm new to this forum but I have been reading threads on here for quite some time, mostly about finishing. I am not new to spraying lacquer or woodworking, I used to do it for a living. However, this is the first time I have used mixol to color clear behlens nitro lacquer. I am working on a kind of surf green if you want to call it that, I know its not as blue as most. When I sprayed it, it was beautiful and vibrant like I wanted, but when it dried it kind of turned into a dull green that I don't particularly like. The picture with the body hanging is right after I sprayed it. The picture with the pickgaurd is how it looks dried. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I might be able to get that vibrant color from the wet picture to show up when it dries? I used behlen clear, and colored it with mixol white, green, and yellow. The mixol green is actually quite blueish in light amounts when you start mixing it in with white.

Attached Files:

Loco85 likes this.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Didn't you apply the system on a test piece first? i was in the coatings & finishing business for decades and the normal method with a new mix was to test apply the entire system before coating a work piece - otherwise you can get stuck with results.

I'd normally suggest applying your clear coats to the test piece, which may give you exactly what you're looking for. Since the color coats are never left as the finish you still have a ways to go - so the only suggestion barring a test piece is to continue with the gloss coats - those will certainly look "wetter" than what you have now.

brbadg likes this.

3. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 5, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Next time, try mixing your color in vinyl sealer instead of lacquer. Then topcoat as normal. Maybe use a little less yellow in your mix to compensate for the slight amber of the clear lacquer too.

Bob

4. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Color and opacity look good. Pop some clear on there for depth and gloss. NBD.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    So have you done your clearcoats yet? I'm not sure if it has lost the "wet" look or actually changed colors on you. So where are you in the finish process when the picture with the pickguard was taken? If you have not yey done the clear topcoats of lacquer, or have done so but not polished them out, I'd keep going. If there's no clear on it now expect it to get just a bit yellower when the clearcoats go on, due to their slight amber tint. I did one that was this before the clearcoats:
    IMG_0529.JPG
    and this after:
    IMG_2755.JPG
    Still pretty but definitely not the same.

Good luck.

Rex

rich815 and Aariley5 like this.

6. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Thanks for the replies.
    Originally the plan was not to clear coat. I wanted an unprotected finish that would chip off fast and not have the issue of yellowing and changing the color. In those pictures there is no clear. Over the last week I have done some test pieces and decided I will be putting a very thin clear coat on, just enough to polish, and will also just stick to the color that it is.

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Please keep us posted it looks like you've done a great job so far. I would have suggested letting your test panels dry first before mixing up a whole batch to spray the body, but it's probably nothing to worry about and the color may indeed come back where you expected it with a little clear on top.

As for adjusting the color, I try to use a color wheel from an art supply store to see what direction you need to go in when mixing a color (add blue to tame orange on a cherry burst, Les Pauls were done that way and it makes no sense until you look at the wheel).

But again I have to say I really like the color of what you have showing up in those first few pictures.

8. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I understand the idea, but unfortunately it rarely works with a self-tinted opaque color. One problem is that the pigments used in tints of any kind do not have the same "grind rating" as pigments integrated into factory coatings so the gloss is inherently a bit lower to start with. they are more coarse and diffuse light, which lowers gloss. Also, the coarser pigments, when left exposed to air and even light abrasion, sometimes burnish and sometimes react with even perspiration, shifting color and gloss.

The other issue is that most color effects in lacquers require a clear coat to "kick" the color completely due to the ways light refracts; also the very slight amber of clear lacquer adds to the color saturation and depth.

9. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Thank you silverface thats good information to have.
    And I will post some more pictures soon. I put the final clear coats on it, now I'm going to let it cure for a few weeks and then sand and buff

10. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I really dig it. Just roll with it for a while it will probably grow on you

11. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Different tastes I guess. When I had my Tele painted surf green I specify requested it have a flat/mat finish, not gloss. I love the look of your strat with the pickguard.

And yes, I was absolutely no help, sorry

12. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Here's what it looks like with the clear. I can live with that. The color looks different in every light. Its kind of cool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

13. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Here's today's coatings trivia - that phenomenon is called "metamerism". If it changes TOO much it's actually a defect; using too many pigments to tint a color can really make it crazy. I used to take school kids on a paint factory tour - I'd mix a red paint in the lab right in front of them, then walk them outside...as it shifted to green!

My fingers never left my hands!

:lol:

Aariley5 likes this.

14. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1214.JPG IMG_1215.JPG

So here it is. Still back and forth on whether I'm happy with the color or not. I'll keep it this way for a while. If I decide to redo it down the road I'll mix the colors lighter so its not quite as dark. But all in all. Not half bad.

Bristlehound, awasson and Steve Holt like this.

15. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Whatever colour it was meant to be - it's a great colour now.

CoyotesGator, Aariley5 and rich815 like this.

16. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    That looks beautiful to me! Here's my strat (that started off in 1987 as Daphne Blue but turned this color as the clear coat yellowed:

my strat 2.jpg

Aariley5 likes this.

17. Aariley5

Aariley5 TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Thanks everyone. And that one is pretty jman72

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.