Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Surf Burst Finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Lake Placid Green, Jun 20, 2017.

1. svaughan1

svaughan1 TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Brampton, ON, Canada

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA

3. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I was gonna comment on the too blue/green thing, but then I'm colour blind, do what the hell do I know?

But I do l like the blue bursts. Or are they green?

4. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I did an experiment once that worked the first time, and didn't the second. I used the Krylon Glitterblast paint, with the darker green on the outside, and the lighter on the inside. Thought about doing a Jaguar and/or Bass VI this way. The first time was just a board I painted. The second was a chunk of MDF in surfboard shape to hang in my son's room. I think I could get it to work, but it seems every can sprays a bit differently.

The lighter color is more chartreuse than the picture appears, and the dark green is a bit lighter. Not quite Bucko-level sparkles, but more than just a metallic or pearl.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    because it turns out - mostly - like the ones not liked.

I've done it on request, but not for myself or on a "spec" guitar. IMO opaque colors that include blue as a primary color - i.e blues and greens - do not "fade in/out" as nicely as the deep brown, reds, oranges and yellows used in sunbursts (there isn't any black in a traditional sunburst).

OTOH semi-transparent blues and greens seem to work well. I was in the coatings business for 35+ years and saw variations of all this in lacquers, polyurethanes, polyesters and other coatings. It's been pretty consistent over the years that you *don't* see opaque blue/green bursts that often. I only do them on request - never for myself or on a "spec" guitar - as I just don't like the look that much.

6. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I bought 2 cans of Krylon Glitterblast Green for a CBG build. I wanted to do a test, so I pushed down the button and it stuck wide open emptying the entire can. Then I waited for the time to paint and used the other can. It turned out okay, but it was thin in some areas since I didn't have another can. So yes you say that each can is different when it come to spraying those paints.
    Krylon makes some other glitter color paints in bigger cans now, but the choices are Red, Blue, Gold and Silver. That's it. However, they do offer a large can of clear with glitter in it and that could be the winning ticket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.