Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supro guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Dec 7, 2017.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

2. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I just had a Sahara delivered!! I'm sure it's been freezing in a truck for the last couple of days....glad I am at work and can't get to it for a bit. Got it at SMash for 299 24 mos no interest. EXCITED!!

3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    IMG_0320.JPG

Here she is, sounds amazing through the AC10!! Volume knob is very sensitive, roll back for clean, crank for dirty...

4. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Detuned for shipping, but a D’DADDARIO tag and I didn’t feel the need to immediately restring. That Vistatone pickup sounds lovely, Tuned right up. Wide hips, going to have to get a proper gig bag...

5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    ^ found a gig bag to fit, new 10’s and Dunlop fretboard oil, YEAH!

ThirdMountain likes this.

6. ThirdMountain

ThirdMountain TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    I dig your avatar pic richey88. I've been messing around with convolution reverb and I found an impulse response from the original batcave.

http://www.echothief.com/batcave/

Also that sahara is gorgeous. The color is way cooler than my sparkle white belmont.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I want one of them $299 ones with the liddo coconut tree on it, BAD.
    Here's mine.
    Got it for nickles around 1990.
    It and my tweed Deluxe are the only pieces of gear I've never flipped.
    The Supro has the slide sound of GOD.
    If you put it on the bridge pickup and keep rolling off the tone, it does what you'd expect...until the tone is right off.
    Then something happens...BWWWWWAAAAAAAAA......awesome.
    I've never heard anything like it.
    But...as far as playing it regular...forget it.
    The neck is held on with ONE SCREW (the other is a tilt adjust) and it stays in tune for about 2 songs.
    There is virtually no angle to the headstock, so even with deep nut slots and winding the string all the way down the post, the G jumps out now and then.
    Every once in awhile I think of what a piece of crap it is and consider selling it, then I plug in 5 or 6 guitars think, "Certainly one of THESE could be my open-tuned slide gigger."
    Nope.

002.JPG

8. ThirdMountain

ThirdMountain TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    Anyone try the supro drive pedal or the jhs superbolt or any of the other supro 'amp in a box' pedals?

9. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Been working on a new pickguard on my Jamesport to relocate the control knobs and spruce the guitar up a bit. I am digging the look so far:

47B03018-13DB-4EA2-986D-105C43DAA8B2.jpeg

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Nice! The new one has 2 screws.... nice amps too!

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Just the iPad mic and crap lighting, still....I think it sounds cool, love the range of the volume knob.

13. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    How does the pickup being a bit farther from the bridge affect the tone? Your volume knob as effective as the Sahara?

14. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    The pickup location makes this my favorite single pickup guitar I’ve ever owned. Great tone, more versatile. It’s a little warmer, more midrange. Tone is less bridge treble fixated than a Jr.

Not sure what you mean about the Sarah and volume knob. I do recall your post about it being sensitive. How so?

The volume on the Jamesport seems to work the same as my other guitars. I used to have a Hampton, and it was the same, too. I considered putting in full sized pots, but these work fine.

I do wish the control cavity was routed from the back. It’s not particularly big or deep, which is probably why they are using mini pots.

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    The Sahara volume knob is WAY more sensitive and useful than my other MIC guitars. Extremely friendly to pick attack and cleans up so nice with dirt...I wondered if there was more bass or mids with the pickup further from the bridge, COOL. I love these guitars....

16. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, extremely well matched volume and tone pots. Useful tones from 0-10 in both.

17. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Absolutely more bass and mids. The Jamesport pickup (same as the Westbury bridge pickup) is dirty at full volume, but it you roll off the volume it cleans up nicely. I like that tonal range.

When making my new pickguard, I considered adding another pot for bass roll-off, as found in Reverend guitars. I had a Sensei Jr. and found it quite useful for extending the available tonal spectrum. I opted to skip it, however. The '50s wiring preserves some high frequencies when rolling down the volume, so it seems really good as is.

I too love these guitars, especially at their price point. I keep eyeing mint condition or like new Westbury(s), which seems to sell quickly for about $400. Over that price they linger for a long time. If I didn't have a LP Special with goldfoils, I would pull the trigger.

I am very interested to see what the 2018 lineup looks like and how they are priced.

18. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Yeah, 250K volume, 500K tone minipots. They look like alphas. All shielded wiring between connections. I am curious why they went with mini pots. The control cavity is a little over 1 1/8" deep, so that may be a factor. The control cavity could stand to be deeper and larger, but the mini pots work to crowd it and the wiring is very neatly done.

I've got a client that wants to do a 7-position mod on a Hampton, which I like doing with a push/pull pot rather than toggle or slide switch. This will require routing the cavity deeper. That is stage one. Stage two will be replacing the pickups with Lollar mini buckers. That has me thinking about going back to mini pots, mounted sideways like Jazzmaster roller knobs.

19. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I really dig the look of the pickguard and layout on these. I assume the knobs are 2 volume, 2 tone. How do you find them in terms of ergonomics? Are they too close together? Do they get in the way of playing? Is the selector switch easy to get to?

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I've played this guitar for 10 or 15 minutes at just about every gig I've had since I bought it.
    It's a piece of crap, but has some cool tones.
    I only use the bridge pickup and I set it and forget it. The knobs are too close together and are fiddly. Volume and tone variations come from the pick.
    The switch position is not terrible and I bump it less than I do a Tele or Strat.
    Someone mentioned that the reissues have the neck held on with TWO screws (oh, joy!). I modded mine to do that...it was so long ago I can't remember how for sure. I think the tilt screw pushes on a brass insert that I drilled/tapped for a screw. It helped a little.
    I'm not one to relegate a guitar to slide just because it's weird; I play my 55 Kay and 60-something Dano regular style, but this Supro needs to be played with the ability to adjust intonation on the fly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.