Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supro guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Dec 7, 2017.

1. It must be ending soon! I think luck was on your side selling when you did, crazy times.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah. Didn't want to advertise just WHY I had interest, if you catch my drift. But the cat's out of the bag now, so, to mix the metaphor, a little birdie did inform me about this

3. ThirdMountain

ThirdMountain TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    So, what's the deal? Why are these guitars so heavily discounted? I ended up ordering a Belmont, gets here on Thursday. Hopefully it sounds good enough to keep me occupied while I'm working on my Nashville tele.

4. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    Back in the 80's I had a Duo Tone (I think thats what it was called). The white single cutaway that Link Wray played. It didn't play in tune, but the pickups had a really cool sound... very low output, but not trebley at all... very midrangey. I sounded like Link Wray through a cranked Fender amp, that's for sure.

Are the pickups on the new ones the same? I'd imagine not... but it would be cool if they were. If you put those old pickups on a well-built guitar, I think it would be awesome.

5. ThirdMountain

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    The pickups sound awesome in the videos here's what they are saying about em...
    The Vistatone pickup found in the Supro Belmont is a reproduction of the groundbreaking, single-coil design developed for Valco by Ralph Keller in the early 1950s. The Vistatone pickup is cited as prior art in Seth Lover’s PAF patent and is found in many of the most desirable vintage Supro models.

6. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've got a Hampton, the three-pickup model, and I'm really liking it

Zepfan likes this.
  7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    Also wanted to note that the pickups on the old ones looked like humbuckers but were not... and again, super low output

8. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2016
    Phoenix AZ
    Other guit player in the band got one from Sam, showed up with it at last weekend's gigs, sounded great thru his Hot Rod Deville.

ThirdMountain likes this.
  9. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    When these first came out I think many of us were immediately turned off by the high prices they were asking -- especially considering they're made in Indonesia and China. I mean, $1200 for a Chinese guitar? I don't think so.

To make matters worse many folks were finding quality issues with them, especially the Chinese-made ones.

And, you have to admit, they're just quirky guitars that most people won't want and the folks that do want a quirky guitar probably want it as a 3rd or 4th guitar, but not a main guitar.

I can't say I'm shocked that they were such a flop and are getting blown out.

10. ThirdMountain

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    Fair enough. I'm excited for something a little quirky. Sometimes my best ideas are inspired by gear that is a little bizarre or even downright oddball. I know a couple of people that would pay full price for one of these, but it is understandable that (in the case of the resoglass ones) a partially plastic import is not as drool worthy as an American handcrafted guit built from locally harvested tonewoods.

11. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I’ve been digging the Jamesport after taking advantage of that great blowout deal. I think Alto Music and Sam Ash moved a lot over Supros since November. I am curious to see what happens next.

After playing the Jamesport, and having owned a Hampton, I still don’t like the knobs or their placement. I cut out a pickguard prototype yesterday to relocate the controls. Total experiment, not perfect. I changed the shape a bit to be a little more like the original model the Jamesport is based on. I may go back to the original shape and just relocate the controls. I need to get a CNC machine to speed this process up. Pics below:

Original

B260A777-BE48-40AE-B819-BE68A344F29F.jpeg

Protoype pickguard installed:

C2F3880C-71A9-4BA8-B071-90D9D0B406A6.jpeg

Naked:

BFFA5772-7B48-4610-A2D3-118D2A63526E.jpeg

FYI: the volume pot is 250K, tone pot is 500K and the capacitor is .022

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    grolan1 likes this.
  12. Now I need one too!

13. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Nov 17, 2006
    MA
    I'd like to get my hands on some of those pickups to put in another guitar since they don't make lefties. Eastwood makes repros of those old single coils that look like HB's too. They call them VVSC's. Anybody have any experience with those?

14. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I picked up one of the hamptoms on blowout pricing and really really like it. None of the QC issues i heard about in the initial release.

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Well, looking like I may sell mine. I still absolutely LOVE it, but I ended up finding one of the CME blowout 335s that was EXACTLY what I’m looking for at a price I couldn’t resist. It’s my absolute dream guitar (well, short of finding a 63 335 that’s the same basic thing for 10-15X as much) Have to offload some gear to make it work.

I’m selling an Ibanez artcore (which I also love, but is somewhat redundant after the 335) and the Supro.

The supro will be going to a close friend who is a huge supro fanatic and missed out on the sale. He’s giving me exactly what I paid for it. I also have first option if he ever sells it.

I’m bummed. I loved this guitar. But flame top sunburst 335s, brand new, for $1600 don’t come along often. That’s my dream guitar, so I guess you do what you have to to make it work.

Hopefully my friend decides to sell it in a year or two and I’ll buy it back.

After this I’ll be 100% Gibson or telecaster, lol.

16. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2005
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    I have an old '62 Supro Lapsteel. It's an 8 string model with three telescopic legs on it so you can either play sitting or standing. It has a single coil pickup onboard and sounds very good and clear. I keep it tuned in a combination tuning which is an E9th but by retuning two of the 3 E strings it becomes a B6th. the tuning low to high is E G# B E F# G# B E so just retune the 1st and 5th strings to D#(#b) and you've got the B6th.......... Here's an action shot of the guitar which is in mint condition!.............JH in Va. Me and Moffy with EC Strat and Lap Steel.jpg

bender66, P Thought and Peckhammer like this.
  17. ThirdMountain

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    So I have had my Supro Belmont for like a week or two and i absolutely love it. Out of the box it played ok but with a few issues addressed it is now a spectacular guitar. I oiled the fretboard, dressed the fret ends, put on fresh strings (d'addario nyxl), and adjusted the bridge a bit. I love the sound out if the pickup especially going into fuzz pedals it goes from sweet and singing to gnarly in a really smooth and responsive way.

My only concern or critique is that when peeling off some of the tape from the neck (when i was dressing the fret ends) some of the top coat of paint came off with the tape. Its no big deal as its super far up on the neck (toward the body of the guitar), and I will eventually take the finish down to a more matte finish everywhere on the neck anyway. Still a great guitar and well worth the discounted price.

18. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yes. I believe I have those in my Eastwood Airline.

Not a fan, I find them shrill. I've tried replacing the bridge one with a GFS goldcoil, still kinda shrill. I may try a Mean90 in there. Maybe a diff value pot would help, not sure.
    Obviously adjusting at the amp helps, but then I've lost top-end for my other guits, so, still working on a solution

19. ThirdMountain

Dec 19, 2017
    Clinton, MA
    I tried and liked a GFS surf 90 in a single pickup cheap epiphone SG. And then in a squire cyclone. Neither of those guitars lasted long in my collection though but the pickup was a substantial improvement. It had a similar gutsy clarity that the supro pickup has.

20. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I like those Surf90s as well, I have a set in a hollowbody archtop, it's a nice clean dearmond sound.

ThirdMountain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.