Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supro build .

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mkster, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Marc,
    I bet a plain but intonated wood bridge would work fine. It may cause problems with she scale length however. I'd like to see how this works out. I love this project.
    Rob

2. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    It getting there !

Attached Files:

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    The color is way off , its the supro red.

Attached Files:

4. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I started doing the back with shellac to lock the color in .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Zepfan and Barncaster like this.

5. Barncaster

Can't wait to hear it!

mkster likes this.

6. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I spent part of the night learning french polish ,and started over this morning .

here is a video i found useful

Attached Files:

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    This is today , its still not good enough ... but its amazing for a piece of poplar .

Attached Files:

guitarbuilder likes this.

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks great!!

mkster likes this.

9. Barncaster

Looks great! French polishing a Supro just sounds funny to me.

mkster likes this.

10. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Thanks guys !

@ Barncaster now that you mention it i guess you are right , its pretty funny .

I leave you with a song Merle's Mama Tried .

best regards

Marc

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Zepfan and Barncaster like this.

11. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    After several days of trying to french polish , i have learned so much , i now know how little is really needed , i used to put on way more stuff . Its important to use some oil as well.

Now i am wandering what to do with the neck , should i leave it maple or black or or try to match the back of the guitar.

Any suggestion welcomed.

Best regards

Marc

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I never saw a factory finished supro or variant with a natural neck. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

13. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    About 6 years ago, I started to do woodturning. The first large bowl I turned was a 12" diameter spalted silver maple salad bowl. I used French Polish technique with super blonde flake shellac and DNA. It took me a few hours to finish, but I did about 10 coats, the last 2 coats were the same but a few drops of virgin olive oil on the dauber. I was told the finish would not hold up, but all these years later, and many hot water rinsings with soap, and it is undamaged and brilliant. I wanted to learn that technique for burst guitar finishes with out use of air compressor. It's a great surface and very controllable. Keep up the great build thread, and we are all waiting to see it to completion.

mkster likes this.

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Its blonde but close enough , to get the picture. If i am correct the neck in those days was made of poplar as well , so color would make sense to hide imperfections .

Thanks for your input.

Best regards

Mark

Attached Files:

fenderchamp and Barncaster like this.

15. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    My plan was to do several coats like you but after reading a little there and checking some videos here , is that there is only on coat since applying a new coat melts the one under it so , if you do a coat and don't let it dry enough and trap it under it can't dry (like DRasat in the 2015 challenge now i know he should have wiped it off and start over in 5 minutes ).

So i figured if the wood nice and i don't need to build up to hide imperfections i can go really light its only to seal it anyway , i will do a nitro on it .

As soon as it looks half decent i use a pad with alcohol only and oil and spread it around and in no time shiny as hell , you just wipe the oil off a the end .

I did it several time to get better its nice to know when you cant gaz the neighbours.

best regards

Mark

16. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN

As for melting the previous coat - YES; but if the previous coat has dried, the next coat melts the surface and flattens, but still continues to build. Ripples and drips don't occur, and the finish layer grows in sheen and thickness. The demo shown in that video above proves that point. The added beauty is the first few coats fill the pores and seal the surface. The DNA volatilizes so do this in well ventilated area. There is a demo available that I have cited in the past, where the finisher creates a fantastic flamey burst with all hand applications of French Polish technique. I do have an air compressor (actually 2 of them), but have yet to use them for spray finishes. If I ever get to finishing a guitar, maybe I will break out the Binks gun and give it a whirl..

17. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Thanks for the comments , i am still learning so much.

Best regards

Mark

18. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi guys , i went shopping today to buy strings , i use exclusively Fender pure nickel .010-0.46 , so i got to the nearest Fender dealer to find no fender strings ? I was i bit upset but what can you do , then the Guy told me Addario made them anyway , anyway by that time he was already looking at me like a moron , I told him i never was going to believe it . He was exasperated by my resistance to other brands . I think strings have a huge affect on the sound of the guitar especially when there is no effect i don't even use the reverb and yes i could dial it on the amp but its never the same.

I guess i am picky , but that guy was a piece , he tried to make me feel stupid to make his sale , i left ...

Is it me or what ?

Best regards

Marc

fenderchamp likes this.

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    D'Addario probably does make them, I believe they offer a pure nickel set of their own.

Use the strings that make you happy. Buy your strings from Sweetwater. That's where I get mine, I can get 2 sets for the same price the local store charges. And if I get 3 sets(what the local store charges for 1 set plus the gas to get there), I get free shipping.

mkster likes this.

20. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec

I think everyone assume that , because they use colored coded ball-end like Daddario and use them on some low budget series , i can tell because i cant play them ,my fingers wont slide on them , was in a contest in college i tried to play stevie ray vaughan scuttle buttin that was painful wrong time , i looked like a fool . Also they have there own string making factory ,it a lucrative side business .

Also my sound is strings to guitar to amp , i had a set of the same string by fender but .011 i but them on to only remove them and got my .010 , i use to like other strings ghs to sound like Srv , i use to like the Hendrix nickel set by Dean Markley , i get used to the sound then its really hard to change it .

Call , me picky i will assume !

Best regards

Marc

Zepfan likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.