Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supro build .

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mkster, Jun 14, 2015.

1. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Wow , Thanks Guys !

@ Doug , you got me puzzled as to what it could be , but that is too kind of you i have to respectfully decline that is too much .

@all
    I found something that might be worth buying its doors from what seems to be mahogany the guy has 30 of them 35.5 x 102 x 1.750 and 30 x 87 x 1 7/8 , but the question remains is it mahogany at 75 bucks a door.

one small one should give about 10 bodys , big maybe 12 and maybe enough for necks , so around 7.5 a body already bone dry and planed.

What do you guys think should i go for it. Comes from the NHL office .

best regards

Mark

Attached Files:

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Is it solid or veneer? What kind of mahogany?... Those would be my questions.

3. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    They are solid but , they don't know much about it or even if it really is mahogany. I am not familiar enough with the grain to tell .

Mark

4. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

Have you checked the doors at the top? Even 100 year old doors are often made of solid fir, then veneered with mahog, oak or cherry. If in fact they're solid mahogany, yeah go for it. If you can risk $75., you could buy one and cut it up to be sure.

5. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I finally got my tuners and i am almost ready for paint the weather is nicer !

best regards

Mark

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2016

6. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    While i keep you waiting , i will try to keep you entertained my first try at playing country music i like it , i know most people here are experts i however never tried , i got inspired by the sounds of my childhood Summer Vacations at GrandPa's .

Best regards

Mark

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Well, i am back at it , i no longer have access to Elie's shop so i am missing many essential tools , i started making some of them and worked out how to make toners out of clear nitro and also some staining test on poplar .

best regards

Mark

Attached Files:

8. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I finally did some work on the supro project , i fixed the necks slots , i waited for the saw to get here .

Attached Files:

budgetbuild likes this.

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Well i lost two necks to Elie so i got to make some more since i have four bodies cut , so lets do it.

Attached Files:

10. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    Hey I was about 1800 in junior high...if you think visualization is high in chess. Give go a try. World's oldest board game.

11. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi guys i am back at it .

Attached Files:

Robert.II likes this.

12. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Let make some boards. I use a red pencil for rosewood the regular carbon is hard to see .

Attached Files:

Barncaster likes this.

13. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I decided not to make a fret zero.

Attached Files:

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    This African mahogany will be amazing.

Attached Files:

15. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I started using fish glue it take 12 to 24h to dry ...

Attached Files:

Barncaster and HairyChapter like this.

16. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I am getting ready to put some color on , i will go with faux bindings. Walnut color back and cadmium red purple for the top . Also planing on making my own toner , hopefully this dry pigment will mix well.

Best regards

Marc

Attached Files:

17. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Should i go relic ? That color is really hard to picture the color is closer to the first picture .

Attached Files:

Barncaster and guitarbuilder like this.

18. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi guys , despite being a little black sheep around here , i do hope you enjoy my work .

Best regards

Marc

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    fenderchamp, callasabra and Mase like this.

19. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey MK,
    Totally digging this build! I have a few examples of that Supro pickup assembly in my stash. One thing to look out for is on some of the student slide models they actually removed one of the magnets and replaced it with a piece of silver painted wood! For optimum tone, make sure you have the two magnet version. Replacement magnets are available, albeit at substantial cost, from Jason Lollar. The cost is however justified as they are an unusual size and have special feature ground into the shape. If you have to go this route and need the magnet charges balanced, I'd be happy to do it for you.

How are you going to intonate this little beast? I can't wait to hear it!
    Rob

mkster likes this.

20. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi Rob , i hope to finish it to soon i will do the back and the clear and dry time , as for the pickups i will listen to it first , because my style of playing works better on lower output pups , apparently flatwound strings is the best on those . I think i will add a variation to the build some fender style string trough ferrules i should cut a hole and install a tele bridge but i will try a wood bridge first , i still don't know .

best regards

Marc

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.