Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Supro build .

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mkster, Jun 14, 2015.

1. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi , everyone a while back i started working on a Supro 60 project and made good use the tools available to me today , except i did not start my challenge build .

Here are some picks .

Attached Files:

2. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    More

I went with a traditional Supro wood Poplar .

Making one or four ,it take about the same time to do ...

Attached Files:

3. nnieman

nnieman TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2013
    ontario, canada
    Hey looking good!
    I'm working on one too
    I love those old supros

sub'd

Nathan

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Thanks , they are great indeed !

best regards

Mark

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2010
    Spain
    Hey Mkster,
    This is a great build! What are you going to do for pickups?
    Rob

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I have been testing pickups made by Roadhouse pickups , he make two valco reproduction pickups the vista-tone and the kingston , that are in current production there is another one he called super alnico , might be available now on custom order , i really hope he make a string trough version , i might have to build it myself , i know Lollar has one but based on pictures , it costly and looks put together carelessly , the pickup is big and i don't like the fact that the screws are not countersunk , its in the details , i hear the the winding is not the same .

here is the kingston

and the vista tone

I may go with both pickups since there will be lots of room for them i will use a 25.5 scale while it was originally 24.5 inch , that way i can get the fat sound of the short scale by using a capo at the first fret and tuning to pitch . I will make a 19 fret neck joining the body at the 14th fret , like the real one and acoustic guitars . I have been playing for years and never really needed the upper frets . But i really like the cut of the pickguard ...

best regards

Mark

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

8. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I started the day bandsaw traning ...

Attached Files:

9. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    The first and the forth.

Attached Files:

10. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Making a work template.

Attached Files:

11. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    ... its not all clean.

Attached Files:

12. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Two down ! two more to go !

Attached Files:

13. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi everyone , i did not have much time to work on the build or my challenge build , but i got pearl dots for the neck and will use this rosewood for the necks .

Attached Files:

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I have to say that a spiral bit is merciless , you have to be on it 110 % thank god for Timbermate and i wasn't planing on a clear finish .

I prefer testing things on those build then on the challenge build , i fell like i am taking a accelerated guitar building courses .

The spiral bit is not for me , i may try again one day but it will have to be a upcut.

Mark

Attached Files:

15. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    So i went back to the old ways of doing it in multiple passes , i tried to use new bits , but i forgot the buy one with the bearing at the tip and use a old one i should not have done it but its not that bad.

My cell phone cam cant handle florescent lighting , sorry for the picture quality .

Best regards

Mark

Attached Files:

16. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2003
    Seattle WA
    " it costly and looks put together carelessly , the pickup is big and i don't like the fact that the screws are not countersunk , its in the details , i hear the the winding is not the same"

Hi- all the parts are custom made in the USA and its built better and more solidly than the originals and performs better- definatley not a slap shod build, I dont think anyone else in the world is making one and nothing I make is sloppy and it is certainly wound the same as the originals- just a heads up. It is a unique design that has a particular sound and performance you wont match using any other method of construction. Gopod luck with the build- its an interesting guitar design too.

17. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Ok , i don't like the screw heads sticking out on top , you could have done it like the originals , i know you are the pickup guy i have some blondes and a vintage T i might use in this year challenge they are sitting in a drawer after being removed from my number one guitar , At first i was thinking about buying your Supro pickup because like you said you are the only one that makes them so they have to be the best , but its way to costly for me anyway , like you said the original was cheaply made and yours by your own words perform better so you admit they are not the same ... do you use cardboard coils ?

I like you and your pickups you make your own recipes to get the classic sounds with a twist , but none the less amazing but i am not in using them ...

I should have been more careful i didn't mean it as a insult but as a hint sink the screws ...

I will however accept a free sample if you stand behind your product let me have look at it , if i like it i will get more and make videos so free publicity , i have been told i am not that bad at the guitar thing .

But right now i leaning towards using Vista tone , Form Ken at Roadhouse pickups , he makes them the way i like them he even added a tap at my request free of charge , i got to sample the kingston a really great pickup . Both of those are modded but only to get them to fit into more instruments . I can however get a cardboard coil form Ken if i want real vintage construction .

Respectfully

Mark

18. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I got the tail pieces today , ordered on the 8th that was fast ...

Attached Files:

19. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    I am very busy with the challenge build , but will resume the supro build while the paint dries .

Intermission

20. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi everyone , i am excited to show you this Super alnico Prototype , its not a p90 but a replica of one of Supro s best pickup , Made by Ken Clavet from Roadhouse pickups.

Attached Files:

21. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    You are correct - you want an upcut spiral bit for use on a router table. IOW, since the router is upside down, the upcut orientation tends to pull the work flat against the table. The downcut pushes the work up and leads to all kind of problems. Even with the upcut, you want to only remove tiny bits of wood at a time, not take a big bite!

I like your builds, and have to ask - why four at once? Are these for part of a group gift or commission? Or will they get split up when it's all over?

Rex

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.