Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supro amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by klasher, Jul 21, 2017.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Meister

Apr 26, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA
    Can someone give me a quick idea as to what Supro amps sound like with a tele? What other famous amp is it close to? Is it close to a tweed deluxe type of sound, a blackface kind of sound? Maybe something like an ampeg jet? Is there anything out there that's in the same type of tonal universe?

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    It's similar to a supro. Supros sound like supros the way fenders sound like fenders, Vox sounds like Vox etc. it's it's own flavor. It's also delicious. My favorite clean sound is the supro clean.

savofenno and puddin like this.

3. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Supros ala Valco, Gretsch, National, etc...... Do indeed have their own thing going on. Though like any other maker they vary by model but many are great sounding amps.

4. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2015
    Somerset, Europe
    Wasn't Led Zeppelin 1 mostly played on a small Supro?

5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    That's my understanding. A low wattage one too if memory serves 10-15 watts.

6. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    Hello..Klasher..check out this video. a supro and a tele.

7. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    The old ones are a whole different beasts than what other companies made for the most part. I think they had some amps that were similar to early 5 watt fenders. They were still different. The other ones sound freaking great. They just don't sound like any other amp though.

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    Are you asking about the new reissues or the 50 year old original designs?

9. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

I'm not expert on Supros but most manufacturers tend to use one of four different output tubes, usually 6V6, 6L6, EL84, EL34. Whilst this is obviously a sweeping generalisation without doubt these four are the main ones for output tubes.

Many Supro models (not all by any means, but quite a few) use 6973 tubes which obviously gives them a slightly different sonic character and something a bit unique.

I'm sure other people can offer some more insightful observations but that one is one that sticks out, as far as i know they are the only large manufacturer using 6973s, unless someone else knows otherwise.

10. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Minneapolis
    They sound good <see above video link>.

The new ones do have a "fuller" character - Bass-y and Mid Range-y unless you max the tone knob to all the way bright. GREAT reverb and tremelo.

11. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    I had both a Black Magick and Tremoverb which both used the 6973 power tubes. The Black Magick had a terrible hum that I just couldn't live with. Tried new power tubes which didn't help at all. Finally bit the bullet and traded it in. The Tremoverb, on the other hand, is dead quiet. Still have it. To me, the best way to describe it's sound, especially with a Tele, is that it's much darker than, say, a Fender. Have to crank the treble to get any kind of a bright sound. Quite a bit different than any Fender amp. Nice to have both.

Be warned, even the little Tremoverb is HEAVY, compared to even a PRRI...

12. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2011
    Jersey City
    A place I play at often has a Supro amp backline, can't remember the model but it's a 112, reverb, bass-treble tone stack... Anyways, I'll echo what others have been saying in a) it has it's own sound and b) ALOT of low end bass response, almost too much IMO. Anytime I play there I crank the volume and treble and cut the bass, sounds pretty good, very vintage-y for lack of a better word. They sound gritty, dirty, but in a good way, I suppose somewhat like a tweed but still very different. Thought about getting one but never took the dive, I need a little more top and chime. Tele user for the record.

13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    When I was a kid, we had a guy in our neighborhood who'd survived the Bataan Death March. He grew beautiful roses in our scabby NJ industrial town, gardening with a menacing silence. If your whiffleball landed near his roses, though, he'd growl-grin, "Hey, kid: those big thorns are watching you."

That's what a strong Supro is like to me. That, and like the Filter'Tron of amps. Evocative of hard-worn graces. And it can throw the gravel it's skimming over, too.

14. Mase

Mase TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Australia
    Excuse me Mr Elegante but, ........" evocative of hard worn graces" , Ellroy owes you are beer;)

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Supros are like gardeners and gravel… I can dig it. Notes will bloom.

I really think the Comet would be a perfect fit for me; such an interesting mix of features, and class A 6L6. Yummy.

puddin likes this.

16. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    last i heard muchxs still has one of the discontinued watts audio supro 6424T chassis in captivity. they had to drop the offering when pignose bought the supro name from bruce zinky.

features silk screened polished stainless steel chassis and built to original spec trannies. not sure of #2's current status, but contact him at tgp if you wanna have him build you one. i have numero uno of this line and love it. he did tweak the trem for a slower cycle rate.

if you get the second, it'll be the last...

mitchfit

17. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Aug 14, 2011
    north east texas
    ^^^

PS---all hand wired, old school tube sockets screwed to chassis, top notch NOS pots, tag board wired.

NOT PCB LIKE YOU SEE AT THE STORE!

mitchfit

18. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    I love supro's. I've had a couple of them along with similar amps of its day. I will say that if you're looking for something original you could stand to save a couple bucks getting one of the less desired brand names that have a similar sound. I've had several univox's and love them. There's a guy here in Maine that's selling a fully restored and upgraded 1960's U45B on Craigslist. I want it... Badly. That model is one of my favorites but I already have one. Just thought I'd add a seconds avenue for possibly achieving the tone you're after. There's a few brands considering.

asnarski likes this.

19. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You have to name a specific amp. There is no "Supro tone" - many of the models are significanty different from others.

20. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I own a Supro Dual Tone (RI) that I got in a multi-gear trade. I did not expect much when I got the Supro, but I love this amp.

Great low end, good overdrive at band volumes and takes pedals really well.

Think early Led Zeppelin with a Tele at band volumes and add an OD pedal for lower volumes. Very impressed.

Check out "Dirty Girl" amps for a more vintage made new Supro style amp (no affiliation, have not owned one but they look cool).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.