Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

"Supremely" modded Squier Standard

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by markcavus, May 13, 2017.

1. markcavus

markcavus TDPRI Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Austin, Tx
    I am looking for some opinions on the price of a guitar I am considering buying. Here's the description. He wants $250 for it. I can get a new Squier standard which in my opinion is a great guitar right out of the box. Having owned Strats, the belly cut and and forearm contour are mods I think I will like. Is it stupid to pay that much or is this a fair price? I don't think he is getting too many calls being it has been on Craig's list for 6 days. Used Tele's usually don't last that long if they are priced right. Then again this one is unusual and might be perfect for the right player. Thoughts?????

Thanks!!

2000 Squier standard telecaster

Upgrades:
    Pickups: Bill Lawrence Keystone bridge and neck
    Electronics: Wiring harness from Atlantic custom guitars (CTS Sprague +Treble Bleed)
    Output jack: Electrosocket style
    Nut: Brass
    String trees: Roller trees
    Replaced: Knobs, switch tip and pickguard

Other work:
    - Filed fret ends and a leveled a few high frets.
    -All electronics cavities are fully shielded and grounded
    - Sanded in forearm contour and belly cut (applied oil finish to open wood)
    - Rolled fretboard edges

The guitar is fully set up, and has elixir strings (10's). I've had it for a couple of years (and bought it used), but it has almost no visible fret wear (I just don't play very much). I installed a stewmac neck shim to get the action just right.

I love the guitar, but with my somewhat big and clumsy hands I find the 40mm nut width a little small for me, and that is why I'm selling. Otherwise, the neck is really comfortable with a satin finish on the back.

The body has some scuffs and scratches, mainly from me working on the guitar without doing anything to protect the wood - I wanted to invite accidental scars.

2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Seems like it'd be worth a look- if he's being truthful about the pickup changes and the updated electronics and nut I don't see why not.

Grux likes this.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's my issue too.

Plus, he's mentioning a hell of a lot of other questionable mods, like--were these mods done right?

With the pup changes alone if verifiable, of course it would damn well be worth $250. But if you do the math on this, minus the negative on possible bad mods, it's a hell of a crap shoot.

You don't just change a nut unless you really know what you're doing.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Sure you do. You just might not do it well.

Ira7 likes this.

5. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Nov 28, 2011
    New Jersey
    Sounds priced ok to me.

6. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    Too bad you don't have pics to post but the extra $50 is worth it for the pups alone.

Grux likes this.

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If it plays great and sounds great, $250 is a good price for a working man's guitar. The BL Keystones are good cheap pickups, they're not boutiques. You can't get a stock MIM tele in my neck of the woods under $300 so $250 for a well modded squier (sp?) seems reasonable. IF the nut is done right.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Price value is there if you don't do any of your own guitar mods deeper than pickguard swaps.

I would ask for pictures of the neck - some Squier Teles have chunky necks "C", some have Squier Strat style carves "D", so find out what it has and if you like that or not. Place to easily tell from pictures is the C will have flat fretboard edges (carve starts behind the glue line) while D will start the carve shape from the edge of the fretboard front face.

Ask the seller to fret the third fret and take a picture of the string gap to the first fret (or check it when you are there) to see how well the nut was cut. Should be around one or two pieces of regular photocopy paper.

Look into adding a 4-way switch.

9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2017
    USA
    I agree if all those mods were done right this is a steal, provided it's comfortable when you play it. I'm in the middle of modding a Squier Strat, and the cost of the guitar plus new nut, Tex Mex pickups, electronics overhaul, pickguard, and tuners should be about $400 just for parts, not including labor (I'm letting a tech do the wiring and maybe the nut, you just have to get that right). So if this really is in good shape for $250 I'd grab it. I'd just look real close at all those mods he did.

10. scooter_trasher

scooter_trasher Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2012
    UTOPIA
    Try it out if you like it and that's where your budget is at, get it, if you get tired of it in a few years or decide to upgrade ,what do you stand to loose a hundred bucks or maybe make that much or more depending on the market, after 30 years I have a Korean Kramer that's
    worth $250 less than I paid, so it cost me $8.33 per year to enjoy, not counting strings and it's still a good guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.