Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Supernova: My Take on a Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Full disclosure, I like tele's just fine. However, I also love trying new stuff. I've looked at ergonomic guitars over the years and none of them seemed to really work for me. Then I saw a picture of an ergonomic guitar loosely based on a tele. I thought it was a cool idea, but there were a few things with the shape that I didn't like, so I set out to design my own. I chose the name Supernova because it fits with my cosmological naming scheme and because it is a very new take on a very old classic.

This will be a slow build. I've got several non-guitar projects I have going concurrently, but figured I would start this now. Basic specs:

- Alder body
    - Roasted maple neck
    - Roasted birdseye fretboard
    - 25.5" scale length
    - black hardware
    - Blonde/off white finish, black pickguard

Here is the design drawing. Yes I know the string ferrules don't agree with the bridge. I originally designed this as a multiscale but decided I would prototype it with a standard bridge so I don't have to make the bridge pieces. I started on templates yesterday. Should be a fun one once it's all done!

[​IMG]

src9000, Dunkerhook, CraigB and 12 others like this.

2. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    I love the design. It looks like a fun project.

3. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I like it.

Are you sure about the location of the knobs & switch?

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Mete, the short answer is no, I'm not. I figure I will mock some things up before I go with anything. This is mostly just a concept drawing, since it will be new. The control plate will be shorter than a standard tele, so layout and spacing are a task yet to perform.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! Another Austin resident, eh?

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Since 1966!
    The good ol' days.:rolleyes:

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Certainly looks cool, nice lines and probably balanced and comfortable.
    Why is the guard so short and the pickups closer together than on a Tele?
    OK I guess that's for more frets, which would be nice, but I agree with @metecem that maybe the control plate needs to move back a bit.
    Could angle the straight part of the guard, or just lose the connection there.

Last criticism: Two of the three neck screws are where the string tension presses the heel into the pocket, leaving only one screw against string tension. I would want to move the lower heel screw a little toward the headstock to help hold that neck securely. I suppose an insert and beefy machine screw could suffice and keep the extra sleek heel design though.
    Output jack on the butt?

9. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, this design is definitely a little different for me so I appreciate all comments. Until I have made the decision on the bridge, some of the other things will be left up in the air. I will likely move the bridge pickup towards the bridge more (use whatever the standard tele spacing is). I am also thinking I might just go 22 frets.

As for the pickguard, I am thinking of direct mounting it, thus the pickguard shortness, but perhaps I will see if I can move it back to make the control layout more friendly.

With the neck screws, I always do threaded inserts and many of the very progressive guitars do weird things with the neck screws, but I will do final layout when I have the neck and body ready for attachment. This is all just one big experiment for me, so some of it will definitely be by ear. Also, I have plenty of time to let the ideas stew and continue refining, but part of that was to post here and get feedback. Keep it coming, guys!

EDIT: I'm thinking output jack would be a barrel jack on the bottom of the "scallop" at the body rear, so the cable angles up towards the strap button a little. I always loop my cable, so it would work.

fenderchamp and telemnemonics like this.

10. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Whatever you do and however you loop your cable, I am expecting a great tidy fetish wiring this time :D

11. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I can see why and where you would tweak it, as others have said; but the basic idea is very cool

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    It should be champagne coloured ;)

2blue2 likes this.

13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    When searching around to see if the name was already taken, that was all I could find references to :)

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    How about a spin pain job?
    Put it on a lazy susan, hit it with some Jackson Pollack, and spin!

15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I've thought about swirl paint jobs, but not for this one. I want the finish to be closer to typical with everything else not being. I think the juxtoposition would be cool.

16. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Concur.
    Rex

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I think it's a cool looking design!

18. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2014
    Burbank, CA
    Cool design! Did you consider curving the control plate to follow the lower bout?

19. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Did not consider curving it, but I might look at it in my drawing software and see what it looks like.

mPacT likes this.

20. Steveinthesticks

Steveinthesticks Tele-Meister

May 11, 2006
    Austin

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.