Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SuperChamp x2/XD Speaker swap ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Whoa Tele, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    I might pick one of these up for home use and my duo gig. What speaker would yield more clean headroom while retaining that Blackface sparkle? Thanks

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Tons of speaker info when you jump into these rabbit holes...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/super-champ-x2-club-tubes-with-benefits.317007/
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-super-champ-xd-club.167992/

Have you played through one, yet? Sparkle and chime depend a lot on how far you're twisting the volume knob on the SCX2. At lower volumes, some folks find the stock speaker sparkley enough when it's well broken in.

Here's the 60-second summary according to various people with opinions.

= Retains Fender sparkle, uncolored clean tone

Eminence Legend Alnico
    Eminence Swamp Thang
    Jensen (Italian) P10R
    Jensen (Italian) P10Q
    Weber 10A100
    Weber 10A125

= Doesn't retain Fender sparkle, adds something else when played loud

Almost anything with a British tone
    Almost anything with a hemp cone
    Eminence LiL Buddy
    Eminence Ragin Cajun
    Eminence Red Fang
    Tone Tubby
    Weber Signature 10 and 10S alnico, not sparkley past 4 or 5

Various people with other opinions will think just the opposite of this list. You're going to have to search on "speaker" in each of the above threads and slog through all the results, as this has been discussed since before Eisenhower was president.

Recipe for maximum clean sparkle...

"Twin Reverb" voice on Channel 2
    Gain turned way down
    Volume turned way up
    Volume turned down on the guitar
    Adjust amp treble
    Adjust amp midrange with Fuse software (as it's too damn high by default)
    A different 12nnn series tube to lower the drive from that triode (5751 or 12AY7)
    JJ 6V6S power tubes, biased properly, which have an almost 6L6-GCish brightness

And...

A clean, articulate speaker that will fit into an SCX2 combo. Pay attention to dimensions and know that you might have to remove the tube cage or the speaker's bell cover. Being partial to Weber speakers, I'd ask C.J. Sutton C.J. Sutton cj@tedweber.com for a recommendation. Personally I'd be browsing through these and asking what sounds cleanest in a Princeton, since everything after the preamp is basically Princeton in an SCX2:

https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/vintage-series/10-models/alnico
    https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/vintage-series/10-models/ceramic

If you're looking for the nth degree of clean, an output transformer change is in order. A Heyboer T020 will give you a cleaner output, plus an extended low end, and is available from Mojotone and others.

YMMV. No warranty expressed or implied. All information provided as-is with no guarantee as to suitability or fitness for any particular purpose. And, by the way, whatever you do will likely void your Fender warranty.

3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2009
    Smyrna Ga.
    Thanks Archtype. I had an original SCXD which I liked but stupidly sold. I never got around to swapping speakers but felt the stock speaker lacked body or fullness if that make sense. I wonder how that Emincence Allesandro GA64 would sound?

4. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    It would likely sound fine, but you should make sure it would fit.

I wouldn’t decide in a hurry. There are several good possibilities.

5. tapollok

tapollok Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2010
    pgh pa usa
    Comprehensive breakdown from archetype.

Quick story...

I have a 2012 blonde tolex SCXD in mint condition which, 3 months ago, I pulled out to sell along with two other amps getting no playing time from me.
    I have always loved it, but came across two stupid amp deals in 2013...and since I was doing a lot of outdoor festivals then, they were more horsepower
    that I thought I needed.
    I bought a Genz Benz Black Pearl for $420 and a VERY, VERY suped-up boutique Tweed Deluxe clone for $375. That Tweed is my desert-island amp.

The Pearl and the XD have only seen daylight from their covers long enough to keep them in shape - since the Tweed came home.
    Since the only 6v6's I had were in the Tweed...I pulled them to power up the XD.

Since that day, the tweed has sat under ITs cover...in deference to the XD.
    I couldn't imagine ANYONE critiquing the Blackface tones in the XD.

So I ran into the husband of my former band's singer. He has a 1964 Princeton which he bought new.
    I joked that I wanted to do a head-to-head with the XD...and he said bring it over.

I have a very good ear...but I could not find a difference in the tones I prefer to hear from these two.

I had altered a Peavey combo and installed an Eminence Wizard as an extension cab for the XD before acquiring the other amps.
    I prefer 12's to 10's.

BUT, now, the stock XD speaker has a great appeal to me....over the Wizard, the Red Fang in the Pearl, and the Weber 12a125a in my Tweed Deluxe.

Just my $.02

I'm still gonna part with the Pearl and the XD...just not playing much in the foreseeable future.

I you're interested in my XD before I list it on Reverb....feel free to p.m. me.

6. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    I run my SCX2 head through a JBL K130 and the amp sounds huge. I would recommend a Weber Alnico California.

7. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    The stock speaker, per Fender support, is 10", 40 Watt, ceramic magnet, imported, with no other specs available. It's identical to the one in the SCXD, so it's an MIC part. At lower volumes it ain't bad.

Here's my rig. In the combo, a Weber Signature 10A-S. A warm, clean below 5 and progressively fatter above that. Sometimes plugged into a repro Fender Tremolux cab with a Weber 10A125 and a Blue Pup. Far more low end than one would expect from a 2 x 10, yet very Fenderish.

RodeoTex and knockeduptele like this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh, it's pretty much the consensus that the XD and X2 are exactly like a Princeton in the clean channel. Same circuit, too.

9. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2012
    Central Florida
    I have run my XD in to a 12" Jensen Mod since day one. I picked that speaker because it would (does not) not color the sound and it has worked perfectly. I have somehow migrated my interest and preferences to Vox but the XD sounds great through a Jenesn MOD.

10. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina

on any sort of equipment, doing anything worthwhile or fun will automatically void your warranty.

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I rocked the SCXD for years (gigged pushing half a stereo 4x12). Replaced stock with a MOD 10”, sounded amazing.

MarkWW likes this.

12. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    I put a JBL E110 in mine - loud and clean but heavy to carry!

13. archetype

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I'm surprised that it didn't physically interfere with the power tubes. Obviously it fit.

14. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    it was very tight!

15. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2003
    Sparks, NV
    Tried a bunch in my XD. Kept the Jensen MOD 10-35. Sounds bigger than the stock speaker.

richey88 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.