Superchamp X2 or Monoprice 15W

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by stephenc498, Mar 18, 2019.

1. stephenc498

stephenc498 TDPRI Member

so, I’m looking for a decent tube amp. I play primarily clean tone, between country and Mayer-esque. I love a good clean tube and can pickup both of these under 300 bucks. Any opinions?

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

The Monoprice, being based on a Laney design, is much more 'british' voiced, and overdrives pretty easily... and well. But if cleans are what you're looking for, you might want to stick with the Fender.

howardlo likes this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I've been seeing champ 600s go for under $200 lately, and Blues/Pro jrs sit at $300 used.

Also, more importantly, Ibanez tsa15s sit around that price point used.

If you want headroom go fender or something with 6v6s, you want easy breakup, monoprice isn't easy to beat for that price and rating.
    I can't put my fi on on it, but something is kinda off putting for the superchamp x2s sound. Shop used and you suddenly have plenty of options.

4. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

A bit late here, but X2 for clean, hands down.

howardlo likes this.
  5. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

X2

howardlo and Doug B like this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the X2. I've got an XD (previous version of the X2). It's got great cleans; more classic Fendery than my friend's Blues Jr. I put an Eminence Legend 1058 in it and took it up another notch.

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

What do you think it was? I had one a few years back and kind of felt the same. I've been thinking of getting another one lately just for low volume playing though... Jazzy archtop and acoustic, not likin SS amps I've tried. (4)
    The only thing that bugged me playing rock and blues was "note fade". As a strong noted faded it seemed to crackle a bit or "bacon fry". I tried different power tubes and I think speaker...

8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

X2!

Doug B likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of the positives of the SCX2 is that it has a few different cleans to fit your situation.

RadioFM74 and Doug B like this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Monoprice.

Oh - clean ?

Who cares if it’s tube then ?

Get a used older Blues cube 30 or a Cube 60.

I don’t like any Fender with X in the name.

RodeoTex likes this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That's about been my experience with voX Amps.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

They aren’t apples to apples. I actually have an X2. I won’t be getting a Monoprice.

13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I have no idea. By all standard logic, a 15w amp powered by 2 6v6s with a typical 12ax7 pre tube thru a 10" speaker with "fender" on the front should just be an auto-win at $200 less msrp than the Jrs. I mean, specs put it being 2 12ax7s and a rectifier tube away from being a princeton with digital effects.

But its nowhere near that, obviously.
    Loudness was ok, breakup was ok, possibly more linear volume than a jr(or I imagined that). The digital effects weren't bad. I'm not analog snob enough to turn up my nose at digital that's usable, and while its nothing compared to good digital pedals, you aren't paying extra for than per se. The voicing was lackluster, like POD into a silverface champ but with the eq set to the least desirable settings .
    It just didn't sound like it had its own flavor, and I guess that more than anything kinda made me move past it. It wasn't terrible, I just couldn't make much of an argument. Its better than the small SS modeling stuff, because the digital effects sounded ok on it, but the fact that it has usb-B made it feel dated, like a 12 year old TomTom in 2019.(I just played it in shops, but still)

If I could get one for sub $200 I might pick it up to experiment and then flip it I couldn't figure out what I didn't like in a more tangible sense. But that's mostly to solve the mystery. :)

I'd reccomend trying BB15 and Ibanez tsa15 if you wanted something in that range for similar prices, mostly because I can't find either of those to play and want to know how they sound. Obviously Supro BK and PRRI exist in a higher range, similar wattage.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Aha. So it would seem you did not have the time to fiddle with the EQ very much. I do have a vintage BF amp and a nice clone of a tweed. With a bit of time investment, I’d say that the SCX2 can sound as good at home and has many very good voicings. The Deluxe Reverb, Tweed Deluxe and Vox stood out.

Its one limitation IME is that it’s not loud enough to play with a drummer, or just barely but at that point it sounds “strangled”. That’s why I eventually had to let it go. But in its 3+ years tenure as my home amp it never offered less than stellar performance.

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I dialed in my SCX2 to the point where I really liked it on the Fender and Vox voices. Good tubes and a better speaker were essential. I don't use the effects because I don't use effects much at all, but the spring reverb and delay do a good job for me.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i have an x2 head which i run through a 212 open back cab.awesome!

17. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

SCX2 Head and I play into a JBL K130. Excellent.

18. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar Artisean 10.

19. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

SCX2 head here, with different speakers and a little tweaking on mids through soft. GREAT!

Attached Files:

20. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

So I picked up a Monoprice 15 locally cheap. Speaker and tube upgrade in it too! It's the older version with the controls on top back like a tweed fender...
    Here's a question though: It has Bass-Mid-Treble controls, but it also has a "tone" knob.. what is that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.