Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super Reverb vs Head and 4x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ash Telecaster, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Hi all,

The local GC had a vintage Super Reverb. Thats as rare as big foot sightings around here! So I had to take it for a test drive. Pulled a used AM Std Strat off the wall and fired it up.

It sounded absolutely spectacular. I couldn't stop playing. It almost became a hostage situation. "Sir, put down the guitar...", "We have your wife here, she wants to talk...", "Sir, you dont have to do this, we offer credit and layaway options..."

It got me wondering how much difference the 4x10 cab makes. I have a Brunetti head that is very much in the Fender camp. Dials at noon, Plugging it into a 1x12 cab and doing a side by side comparison with my DR sounds very similar only more bass.

Im wondering if a 4x10 cab will make that big of a difference or is it just the magical combination of components, speakers, cab, and Leo dust, and only the real thing will do it.

While we are on the subject, does a '65 RI actually sound like a real '65 Super? What about the Silver faced ones? Used they are butt ugly but affordable. I wonder if the stock speakers in those are junk. Looks like they were some rebranded Fender ceramic speakers. I heard the new Jensen alnicos in the '65 RI dont sound like the original Jensen's.

So I guess thats a lot of "stuff." Sorry, it just kind of spilled out of my brain.

I would really appreciate the thoughts of my fellow gear addicts.

Thanks!

chemobrain likes this.
  2. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Why didn't you buy it?

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  3. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    Go get a quality clone with good speakers. The Reissues use the same bargain basement components as most other new Fender amps, and those speakers leave me flat. Mojotone makes a nice kit; take that, add a set of Eminence or WGS speakers, and you're pretty close.

I'm of the opinion it's the whole package. The SR is an odd beast in that era. Dual 6L6, tube rectified, 4x10 array, huge transformers. And tone for days, it's a perennial favorite around this forum.

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a silverface '72 that has been blackfaced. It has the original CTS Alnicos and really sounds like heaven. An amazing amp. Heavy and awkward, though. But I still use it a lot
    because it sounds SO good. I don't know about your Brunetti head, but I do think that the right 4x10 cabinet with the right speakers could noticeably improve the sound
    you get out of the Brunetti (at least for your personal taste) vs. a 1x12 cab with different speaker in it. Would it sound the same as the SR? Probably not.

5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2005
    North Texas
    Dunno about a Brunetti Head, totally unfamiliar with them. Might sound great with a 4x10 cab. That said, there is something special about big iron Fenders, when you can use them that is.

One of the best SR’s I ever played through was a cosmetically trashed Silverface. They’re great amps too when you find a good one, imho.

I never liked the new P12Rs, especially in a SR, too bright for my taste. But maybe that’s just me.

The CTS alnicos are THE Super Reverb speaker in a lot of people’s minds, and there are tons of Silverfaces out there with them. The old oxfords and later CTS ceramics can sound great too.

They are special amps. I’ve had my ‘66 longer than any other piece of gear I own, almost 30 years, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything, even as little as I get to use it.

Good luck!

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I’ve owned two vintage Super Reverbs, a BF ‘67 and a SF ‘69 drip-edge with original CTS’s that was BF’d. The BF amp had Jensen RI’s inside but I sill have its original CTS’s. I was always just too lazy to get them reconed.

The ‘69 had the tone edge since it still had original CTS’s inside VS the BF amp’s Jensen RI’s.

I think that half the vibe of the Super Reverb is its big open back cab.

I’ve never played a SRRI, but I suspect it sounds pretty good but why buy SRRI when you can buy a vintage Super Reverb from $500 and up?

If the GC Super is in decent-original condition, sounds good and is a good price, it might be worth a buy.

Both Supers are recently gone and repaced with a BF Twin Reverb.

4306EA2B-1E1B-49FC-AC6E-EB650144444E.jpeg 48F03116-F669-4F07-BDA6-44936EF9DA21.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    chemobrain and Ash Telecaster like this.
  7. Ash Telecaster

It was 1600 big ones! I didnt have that much lunch money!

8. Ash Telecaster

Those look spectacular! They must have been hard to give up.

gridlock likes this.
  9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I've owned three SR's: a pre-CBS 1965, a 'drip-edge' 1968, and a 1969 with JBL/D110F's, which I still own. In between, there were other amps, but I've always returned to the SR.

10. Ash Telecaster

I had one of the newer Jensens in my DR. I replaced it with a lil Texas. I heard they didnt live up and while I couldnt compare I didnt care for that one.

11. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    Huh? :confused: I dunno-dunno... my old super with 4 x 10's loved the humbucking pickups in my (suit-years) Tokai Flying V and the sweet spot would just sing the combination of the 2 was magic....:D until the county sheriff arrived :cry:as it was conservatively rated regarding watts etc. They said it was load, very load.

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    the first image , the black face makes feel .... makes me feel like....:rolleyes: I have to remember:twisted: this is a family friendly site. makes me feel happy.:D

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    The only problem with testing the theory is that there aren't a superfluity of 4x10" open backed cabs with lower wattage AlNiCo speakers floating around Craigslist for lunch money. In fact, I am not sure I am aware of any commercially produced open back 4x10" cabs that aren't combo amps. So just getting 4 speakers and putting them in a cheap cabinet is going to set you back $500 or so. Admittedly, $500<$1500.

https://reverb.com/item/2672290-generic-4x10-open-back-speaker-cabinet-black

And some speakers from Weber or Eminence or Warehouse, that's closer to $600..

Dang, it makes a Super Reverb seem downright affordable...

https://reverb.com/item/13856833-vintage-1967-fender-super-reverb-amp-w-footswitch-good-cond

14. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    WGS Vet 10s are a lot cheaper than most, and sound killer with a Super Reverb.

Ash Telecaster and dannyh like this.
  15. Ash Telecaster

Thats a very valid point!

16. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Too much unless it’s a very nice BFSR.

17. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Yes, but I have a nice Twin to take away some of the pain.

66480EAC-0844-4CBA-B3E5-596B365215D3.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Ash Telecaster and FenderLover like this.
  18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    More happiness...

77C606A7-7433-4B33-ADDA-1329D151538C.jpeg

bftfender and Ash Telecaster like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah $1600 is too high. Maybe $1200 for a really good one that has been serviced. Throw another $200 for it being a store sale rather than private party and $1400 is possible if it’s perfect. But an ok one that needs service and is a bit scuffed up would go for maybe $1000 to $1200

chemobrain and Ash Telecaster like this.
  20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The 4x10’s make a difference.. sounds different with less speaker surface area. I tried it.

The SRRI sounds good but noticeably not as good as a real 1965 Super Reverb. I owned both at the same time, ok I actually had 5 Super Reverbs (65, 2 66’s, 68 and a RI) at the same time and the one that sounded the best was the original 65, one of the 66’s was a close second and third was the 68. I sold the RI and the other 66 and sold the 68 to a band mate at the time. I still have the original 65 and a 66 in a 2x10 Newell cabinet. The 2x10 sounds good but the 4x10 sounds way better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.