Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super crazy find! 1966/67 rare color Tele. WTF is this??

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Parliament83, Oct 10, 2017.

1. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Holic

Feb 9, 2014
    NE US
    Great find, how does it play?

I've seen sealer coats in blue, that may be the blue you see in worn areas. In the standard color chart for '67 they have Foam green, Sherwood green, Surf green and Teal green. Could possibly be one of those or a custom color.

2. Tom-Australia

Tom-Australia Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2015
    South Australia
    Slightly silly question, but how the hell are people bending that much at the first fret?

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Seems to me there was a green...like Gibson's Inverness green.
    Definitely a '67 car color!

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana

6. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Wow, that's a beauty! And it's a good sign that it was played so much! I have no idea about the color but there are popping up a lot of guitars from this period. I used to own a 67 Blue Ice Metallic that was great.
    Is the black lacquer in the neck pocket is original? Never seen it like that.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

Very
    cool.

Put that twack twack back ! :lol:

8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN

9. Parliament83

Parliament83 TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Tele-Nation
    In the pictures it looks like black, but it's actually of the color of the blue-ish underneath. I strongly believe this finish is factory original. In fact, I don't know you guys, but I have no doubts in that aspect.

10. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Canada
    That is a sweet guitar and the finish looks right to me. Did you get it for a decent price?

11. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands

Hi Parliament, I was referring to the shape of the area in the neck pocket that wasn't lacquered. It looks like there are two instances that it was lacquered. First you sort of see the shape the way you mostly see them. The bare area in the length. And then you have the one in 90 degrees from that. I have never seen it like that. I attached an image from my 67 Blue Ice Metallic.
    I am not saying it is not original. But I would be interested to find out if there is a reason it is like this.

It's funny to see that in this period the trussrod nut is sticking out a bit. My 67 had that too.

7-1967 Fender Telecaster-3033.jpg tele1.jpg

12. rumblerdave

rumblerdave TDPRI Member

May 1, 2003
    Winter Haven, Fl
    Although it's really hard to see in pics, my black 1966 Jazz Bass has the same marks in the neck pocket. 100% factory. Some of the neck pocket paints were really sloppy in this era...others, neat as can be.

100_6490.JPG

100_6511.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    CoyotesGator and Danman like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.