Super Champ X2

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strat Jacket, May 16, 2019.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Anybody else really digging their SC?
    I did the due diligence before buying; Read all the reviews, both positive and negative. I played it in-store and compared to several other tube amps as well as a number of solid state amps, but bottom line was this; no matter how good the reviews of the solid state amps were, they weren't quite 'there'. And no matter how sweet the sound of the tubers, I couldn't quite get it at practice volumes.
    Not so with the SC. With the gain kicked up using the dirty channel, this thing really starts to bark around 3 on the volume knob and gets better as it gets louder. Clean is clean and sparkling from the get-go, especially with the Tele. In fact, I would say this amp was made for the Tele. And while I have the DSP effects package on my Deluxe 90, this one is actually better.
    No complaints so far after nearly a year, and I don't agree with any of the negative reviews this amp gets online, at least for my purposes. It might be a bit too small for gigging, but it meets my needs perfectly.

guitarmikey and howardlo like this.
  2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A grab-and-go amp that has a lot of great tones in it. The Fender and Vox voices tend to respond like their real-life counterparts. Be sure to use the Fuse software to tweak the voices: most of the Fenders have the midrange set on 8 by default, and that can be reduced if the voices are harsh. NOS tubes and a Weber Signature 10AS speaker improved mine.

SCX2 Amp Club
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/super-champ-x2-club-tubes-with-benefits.317007/

SCXD Amp Club, which also has relevant info
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-super-champ-xd-club.167992/

joealso, guitarmikey and Strat Jacket like this.
  3. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have had one for a couple of years and it's a great amp. I thought the only weak link was the speaker. I found a guy who made me a 12" combo cab and but a 1258 legend in it. That made that amp really sing. I play regularly with a guy who has a PRRI and the SCx2 sounds just as good. The delay/reverb preset is really cool.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

I registered for the FUSE site but it won't let my home computer (Windows XP) run it.

5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

just got nib head for 250 out the door

works great w/vert 2x12, 100db efficiency with band...no problem

GREAT deal at 250 new, sweetwater or alto will do...

hype is real; have crapload of fender and dr z, ampeg j120, 5E3-- this little box works

Strat Jacket likes this.
  6. archetype

Get off of XP right NOW. Just pay the money and do it. Microsoft just released a security patch for XP. They sunsetted XP and haven’t released a patch in two years: this patch fixes a security hole that’s THAT BAD. :eek::eek::eek:

Then install Fuse. :D

v__k likes this.
  7. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

FUSE needs to be installed. Maybe on someone else's computer if not yours. After digging the Mids you will get best sounds than you think!
    I have the head so I can pair it with different cabs/speakers, works better for me. And yes, love this amp! His pair is the Pro Jr. X2 is the clean style amp for me (but often use it on Tweed Deluxe setting...)

8. archetype

The SCX2 sounds just as good because... after the preamp, the SCX2 is a PRRI. After the SS front end the rest of the circuit is 99% Princeton.

Bob M and FredAU like this.
  9. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

It's hard to beat this amp. Just a great value and perfect for practicing - at least for my needs. I am sure it would do ok for some small gigs as well. I think it looks sexy to...but I am shallow that way.

10. FredAU

FredAU TDPRI Member

Wasn't aware of that, goes a long way to explain why they are such a fantastic little amp. Fender nailed it.
    The X2 is the only amp I have owned that is still stock after a few years, just happy with how it is with no intent of changing a thing.

11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Meister

i have the head.run it through a 212.nice amp,very pleased after 2 years with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.