Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super champ x2 repair/mod

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vaquerolisergico, May 17, 2018.

1. vaquerolisergico

vaquerolisergico NEW MEMBER!

May 17, 2018
    San Diego
    Hello there. First time posting on this site, but have been visiting for some time now.
    I have a Fender Super Champ X2 that stopped working. From what I have read online, the problem is a bad DSP board and it can't be fixed/replaced.
    So I have the following questions:
    1. The amp has a clean all tube channel (ch1) and a digital effects and amp moddeling channel (ch2). Could it be possible to bypass the digital components and keep the clean channel with simple tone and volume control?
    2. Can it be modded into something else? Say maybe a Princeton?
    3. I also own a 90s Peavey Minx 110, a Frontman 25r, and an old Fisher 600-t receiver from the 60s. Could I use parts from all these amps to build at least one good tube amp?
    Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Thank you.

2. cbh5150

cbh5150 Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2009
    The outer banks of Chicagoland
    Well, for starters, IIRC the clean channel is still processed through the DSP board, so it may not be as simple as just bypassing the board; however, there are other minds here at TDPRI who can probably provide more detailed info :).

3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Welcome to the fun house!

Someone needs to troubleshoot the amp. Online research can't determine what's rong with it. If it's under warranty (older ones are 5 years, newest ones are 2 years) Fender will replace it instead of servicing it. If it's not under warranty, a tech who's good with SS amps can likely fix it: other than the PROM that holds the voices and other data, it's mostly commodity components that are readily available. Sometimes the best option is to buy another used SCX2, although they are seldom dirt cheap. The head will be cheapest and you can just swap its 'brains' into your combo, if that's what you have.

@cbh5150 is correct. Channel 1 is a voice, just like the other 16 voices on Channel 2. There's no tube preamp. There's only one SS preamp and DSP stage.

The SCX2 is 99% Princeton circuit after the SS preamp, but for all practical purposes it can't be converted to all-tube. There isn't room and there isn't chassis space available to do that. Far, far more trouble that it's worth to attempt. I suppose you could craft something out of your other amps, but that's not a path to success unless you're an experienced amp builder.

If you want to build, kits are available for the 5F1 (Fender Champ) circuit. That's a good place to start. Search the amplifier discussion forums, here. TDPRI is a deep resource for amp tech and kit building.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.