Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super Champ X2 Head reliability?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by brobar, Aug 22, 2017.

1. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'm looking for another amp that I can leave in the flex room so I don't have to move my MIIIv2 from the bedroom to the flex room every time I want to play in there. Obviously I could get another MIIIv2, but I was thinking about the Super Champ X2. If I get one, I would like to get the head/cab version. My only reservation though is the dependability and reliability. I've read numerous places that these are not serviceable/repairable so is you run into an issue with them it tends to be a warranty replacement if under warranty, or SOL if not. The thought of getting one, it going south under warranty but Fender has stopped making them and no longer has replacements, or it craps out 5 days after warranty and is not reparable is a little unnerving.

For those who have owned it... how reliable is it? How many years have you owned yours without issue requiring replacement?

2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I own two SCX2's. A combo and a head. I've owned them about 4 years now.

Last year the combo started spontaneously changing channels on it's own. It turned out the jack for the foot switch had come loose. I guess it would have been covered under warranty, but my amp guy just resoldered it for cheap, and it hasn't given me any more trouble (knock on wood!)

I had not heard anything about them being "unrepairable"... I imagine its mostly a printed circuit board so the DIY tube amp crowd will dislike them on principle.

I don't do my own repairs, and my preferred amp tech is comfortable working on solid state or tubes.

The only problem that you might face is if there are proprietary parts that are no longer available. Yamaha and Roland are famous for this... I have not experienced this with Fender, but it could happen... Usually 20-30 years after a production run.

I wouldn't worry about it. They were designed to provide 5 or more years of trouble free service.

I think these are great practice amps. I also have a Yamaha THR 5 that I like, but I prefer the SCX2 most of the time. It just sounds more real, because it is.

I didn't realize the SCX2 had been discontinued, but they made them for at least 5 years... You could probably find one used for cheap.

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Yeah... I've seen them lots of places on the cheap, but grabbing one with a warranty seems like it might not be a bad idea. They can still be had new from a few places like Sweetwater. Fender can't NOT honor their warranty, so if I got a new one and it did go south under warranty, I should be able to expect a replacement (if they don't repair), a replacement with an amp of greater or equal value, or a refund I would imagine. I've been tempted by the used ones, but many of them are right at the end of their warranty cycle so I'm not sure if the $100 savings is worth it with no warranty on a seemingly unrepairable amp. Would 2-3 years problem free get me my money's worth on a used X2 head? Maybe... but I'm not known to be one to purchase disposable music gear.

What cab do you run your head through?

Cliffyg62 likes this.

4. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Peavey 112 SX cab loaded with an Eminence Legend.

5. pictacado

pictacado TDPRI Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Discontinued?
    According to whom?

They're still available for purchase on the Fender website as far as I can tell.

I've had my combo X2 for 4 years with zero problems.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017

6. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    They're still for sale on the Fender site.

Fender doesn't repair them, just replaces them. If mine ever gives up I'll find another dead one, swap the brains from mine into that one, and have that replaced. I don't want to lose my FSE blonde/oxblood cab.

Although people have had occasional trouble with them, that's the exception rather than the rule. Mine is 3-4 years old, never gigged, and reliable. It's a tremendous bang for the buck and an excellent home/practice amp.

7. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I've had one for 4 years. Zero issues. Been a great amp. I am not sure how repairable it is. I'll say it is very cheaply made...

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Got the head about 6 months, new. So not much use yet.

99% using channel one--awesome Fender clean. Plan on replacing 12AX7 with 12AT7 for even more clean headroom, and I run it through Fender's matching 112 cab with Celestion.

Fusion still frightens me, but I've played around with it a little.

This is a very reasonably priced amp, and I'm a sucker for most things Fender anyway. But at this price, I really don't worry about it crapping out.

9. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2012
    Bucharest
    Mine since 5 years. Head. No problems yet. Happy with!!!

10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Holic

Oct 24, 2012
    southern California
    I own a Fender SCX2 head that I play through a JBL K130. I only use channel 1 for the exquisite blackface clean tone. I use pedals for all my dirt and I must say that this amp takes pedals very well. Never have had any problems. I am running NOS tubes and everything sounds excellent.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    My SCXD combo is still going strong. Never a problem. Have you heard something about reliability issues with the SCX2?

12. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    athens ga
    My SCXD combo is still going strong, too.

I had a stock E-H 6v6 tube go bad a few years ago, which I replaced (along with the other stock 6v6 as well) with the more robust and fuller sounding JJ 6v6s, and the amp has performed flawlessly since then.

13. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    To clarify. Other than warranty replacement by Fender, they absolutely are repairable by you or your amp tech.

14. DougM

DougM Tele-Meister

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I have read about the older XD dying and not being repairable since it's no longer in production, but nothing about the current X2.

15. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I had the XD for about 4 years before it crapped out but got it replaced thru the Fender warranty. I later got an X2 head when they first came out but it crapped out after 3 years. This is with very minimal stress conditions (in my studio for short periods of time, usually).
    They wouldn't replace the head, not sure why but I still love those little amps. Great modelling.
    I have since gone tubular.
    Good luck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.