Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Super Bowl Halftime Show= Justin Timberlake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Oct 22, 2017.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I think of the halftime show as something fun for the billions of people that maybe don't watch or care about football but have friends or family who are football fans. So it's like a reward for maybe pretending to have fun at a party they're not 100% into, but it's something a lot of the country seems to be into and their S.O. or college buddies or Mom and Dad or whomever seem to be having a blast. Something both sports fans and non-sports fans can have a conversation about without having to know things like "illegal formation," "block in the back," etc.

I usually take the opportunity to get a second helping of chili and more beer or something.

P Thought, 8barlouie and xafinity like this.

2. Ash

Ash Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    There's a certain amount of social engineering in a lot of entertainment and sports designed to expand the audience. While that makes sense from a financial perspective (bigger audience equals more money), it often doesn't work.

The fact is most NFL fans are middle-aged working class white men. These guys have zero interest in Lady Gaga, in rap music, in pop stars. Will Justin Timberlake at halftime convince a bunch of pop music teens to tune into a sport that have little interest in and suddenly become fans of the game? I doubt it.

3. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

May 18, 2006

I'm not sure what your point is. I love the guy.

4. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    You're right, it's definitely not going to get people to tune in who would otherwise not be watching, but for families, parties, and get-togethers with a mix of fans/non-fans, it kind of sets a tone for the game that is more inclusive. I think the powers that be know their NFL fanbase will stick around no matter what the halftime show is, so it's an opportunity for them to target other people in the room.

So when people are like "why would they have a pop star do halftime for a bunch of older white guys?" it maybe misses the point.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Soup; There it is. I hope he pimps soup.

blowtorch likes this.

6. BobRob

BobRob Tele-Meister

Apr 10, 2003
    Are you his dad? Sounds like it.

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.

7. They shoulda had Chuck Berry when they had the chance.

blowtorch likes this.

8. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Alright. You got me. I no longer have to hide my true identity:

Terry Timberlake. (ROFL)

9. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    Exactly

Not my cup of tea but he'll do what he does- put on a well done flashy show that a lot of people will enjoy

It's the super bowl halftime show, what do people expect? A world class jazz combo ripping through "Giant Steps"?

ROADMAN likes this.

10. If I miss this Super Bow(e)l that will mean I missed 52 in a row.

11. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Prince....I don't own any of their music but I sure love to watch them perform. Still sad about Prince. Yeah I'll enjoy the show!!!! He's classic shower biz..... Kinda like all of us here but without the classic....lol

william tele likes this.

12. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Again with my OP I have not seen any tv program with him. I have not knowingly heard his music, even the examples you all gave. But I hear he is the hardest guy working and he has talent. I didn't know much about Bruno Mars until the halftime show and then I was real interested. I was entertained. I expect that to be the case with Timberlake.

blowtorch likes this.

13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Now, of course there'll be special guests but my choice - Rihanna - would upstage the hell outta him and he's, I'm sure, well aware of that so - probably not.

After the ballots were in (mine) she topped my best record of 2016 list. And for who I am and what I like - that's impressive.

JT ? He'll be great anyhow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.