Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sunbursts on late 60s teles?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by stevehollx, Jun 21, 2017.

1. stevehollx

stevehollx TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2015
    durham nc
    Anyone know if they did sunbursts on late 60s teles that don't have binding (which I guess was the 'custom' model)? I don't like the way the bound teles look and really am shooting to score a vintage tele in sunburst that has significant wear (love the aesthetic of a reliced sunburst tele), a la Mateus Asato's relic Suhr T). Or, should I be holding out for a refin that was done into sunburst?

I think I'm probably targeting a 1967 based on balancing price point with not drifting too far into CBS land, but may entertain 68/89.

2. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Sure Fender did. If you image-google 1967 sunburst Telecaster there is a couple that come up. I dig that look as well!

3. bbjonz

bbjonz TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2003
    You mean like this '66 for sale on Gbase?

[​IMG]

Damn sexy guitar. I'm sending my '66 to Gord Miller to be restored to blonde (it's a crappy red refin now). I wish I could have him do it in burst but it would look wrong over ash.

BTW, I own a burst '72, pic below. Not nearly as cool as the '66 but a pretty good guitar, even with that Gibson HB in the neck.
    IMG_0486.JPG

Joe

ecosse and rze99 like this.

4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    I like that humbucker there. Gives a superb in between sound with that bridge PU. Nice guitar as well

5. Togman

Togman Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgshire, UK
    Here's my '68. I've owned it since '74. It's all original, and as you can see, very well looked after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rze99 likes this.

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Not a big fan of the tobacco burst.. but the target burst very nice indeed

7. GuyR

GuyR TDPRI Member

Apr 22, 2017
    London
    I had a 66 Tele in sunburst in about 1983, quite battered, 100% original. They are definitely out there....

8. fernandomp

fernandomp TDPRI Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Spain

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.