Summer NAMM 2019: What’s next for Fender?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ataylor, May 15, 2019.

1. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Seems just before the NAMM shows the past several years that Fender has refreshed a number of their main product lines — it started with the move from American Vintage to American Original, then American Standard to American Professional, and most recently, (Mexican) Standard to Player.

Seems the last remaining primary lineup to refresh is the venerable Classic series, right?

If I had to guess, that’s what I’d bet on — a consolidation of all the Classic, Classic Player, and Road Worn models into one series of guitars with vintage appointments, some worn finish options, and the same fretboard radius and fret type as the new Player series.

I’d love to see a double-bound MIM 60s Telecaster in a lineup like that, as well as a return of the 69 Thinline. They’d be smart to base their 50s Tele option around the Baja in terms of pickups and neck style.

Anyway, just thinking out loud as I’ve thought about the idea of a second Fender and wondering if their Classic series guitars seem ripe for what seems to be a slow and steady update across all Fender’s primary product lines.

Thoughts?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Will have to wait and see; fender has always been somewhat slow in knowing what players wanted for the Japanese and Mexican price ranges. They didn't need to be really on top of things, people would buy the lower range stuff anyway. It took them awhile to be more practical with the American "road worn" stuff, because it was pushed hard, but wasn't the end all be all finish, and they eventually toned it down. The issue seems to be they are finding out slowly what will sell vs what will sell more, and its taking a bit longer than it should have for this. They got thier Squire stuff in a good place, and I think its taught them some of what they ignored in the Fender lines: people will buy Fenders, but more people will buy Fenders that have X features in Y price range.

Ignoring an easy set of upgrades on the classic line would be bad.
    They may want to rebrand the classic separate from sounding similar to classic player stuff, and that may include something where they look hard at the alternate reality type lines and analyze what people like feature wise for the classic player side of things for "modern features "

Offering better electronics in the regular classics would be great, and a justification for price hike, especially if they started coming with something closer to Duncan's antiquity series.

Color options that fit current demand seems like an obvious thing, even if they do little else.

If you're waiting and buying new, I'm sure something is bound to come out, even if its FSR stuff. Where you looking at a tele?

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I think the Fender range needs some simplification.

I don't have any insights in sales figures from Fender, but for me the first focus should be on the MIM-type of Fenders (could also include other countries for my part). Also price levels should be similar
    • Modern player: experimental models (since the current models are now apparently no longer available).
    • Player series: modern version for regular players: S/S H/H S/S/S (Nashville), individual saddles, modern radius, ... (non experimental models, without gig bab)
    • Classic Player series: based on the 6 base models, some variations possible (like a Baja type neck) (but with a few extras, could a gig bag, ...)
    • Artist series
    The American series is not only above my playing level, but somehow I have some problems with the lineup.
    I can understand the division in an The American Performer, Professional, Original and Elite-series (more or less, for me this should be simpler, moving some model towards the Custom Shop), but then there are some oddballs in the lineup. I like more well defined series.

4. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Looks like a lot of Classic and Classic Player series models or colors are starting to disappear or list as being out of stock on the Fender website...

I think we’re getting a refresh, which I’m guessing will be a combination of the two series — Mexican-made guitars with vintage looks and a few modern touches.

Anyone heard or seen anything?

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think 1 5/8” wide nuts should abolished on all but the cheapest instruments .

I think on some mid level American Tele and Strat there should be a limited production 1 3/4” wide neck. Not an option but all of them have it and it’s in the name of the series like “Tele W—-I—D—-E Neck Gig-master”.

telestratosonic and BigDaddyLH like this.
  6. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I wish they'd bring back the original reissue series.

8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well, we got the answer. Vintera is it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.