Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Suggestions Please...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DougieLove, May 28, 2010.

1. DougieLove

DougieLove Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,
    I'm in the Air Force and was just selected for promotion to E7 (Master Sergeant). I should be sweing on the new stripe in November. Since my birthday is 03 Nov, and Christmas is the next month, a new guitar has been cleared by CinC HOUSE (within reason, of course) to celebrate the promotion, birthday, and Christmas. Now the decision is what guitar should I get?

Here's what is on my short list:

- An original 1972 Tele Custom (I have a '71 Tele for my birthyear and guitars from the years of each of my kids, but I want one for my wife's birthyear as well).
    - A Strat 12-string
    - A resonator of some sort

So, what do you all suggest? Either from the short list above of something else? I already have a few Telecasters, so I really can't justify another "typical" Tele. Oh, the budget ceiling is $3K.

Thanks for your help,
    Doug

2. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

72 tele.

BTW, when I was in high school, the AF recruiters came around once a year and brought with them the AF stage band. The guys could rock out better than most radio heros.

3. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2009
    Nashville
    National Steel.

Then by the '72 for your wife....on her birthday....

4. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I'd pick the 72 for sure. (I'd like a guitar from my birth year, but anything from 1969 will be expensive.) Your wife will appreciate the sentiment, and you'll have a nice vintage guitar.

CC

5. Big John

Big John RIP

Feb 1, 2006
    Austin Tx.
    I'd go for the resonator and a good engraver could personalise it a bit for you ?

6. Nodremark

Nodremark Former Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Austell, GA.
    A martin DVM if you can find one. I would love to have one if my GAS budget was $3K
    Congrats on the promotion. Wife and I are both retired AF.

7. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Mar 4, 2009
    Singapore
    Its always good to have a nice gift the home could use that the Commandant herself could appreciate. 72' for her birthday as mentioned, and a resonator for yourself~

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Congratulations on the promotion and thank you for doing the important job that you do.

I don't understand the dynamics of your home life (do you live on base or move around a lot??)

The Reso might be nice because you don't need an amp to bring it to life. Works outside/inside/where ever.

$3000 is alot of money.

I have a Fender FR50 ($550 reso) that I bought on sale in the hight $300 range. It has a great resonator honk and every old tune that I play on it sounds fresh and new. The reso just ads a unique vibe.

Lots of fun.....

[​IMG]

John

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.