Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Suggestions on How to Learn B-Bender Guitar

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Rockerfeller, Mar 15, 2018.

1. string pull

string pull Tele-Meister

Oct 29, 2011
    Fairfax,Va
    Im so old that I remember the stereo had a 16 rpm setting and i'd slow the record down and tune the guitar down. It was impossible but you could get a handle on a few things

asatfan and BB like this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I have a copy of the book (lost the cassette) I got when I bought a Hipshot back around 86 or so. If there is a legal way of sharing it, I'd be happy to.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    well think about what it actually does, it is PULLING the 2nd string UP.

So to pull UP to a final note that means you have to begin the pull from a LOWER note so we pull to a GOOD note. Left hand fingering is paramount. Different chord voicing s are mandatory to pull to a " nice "phrase.

lesson 1, the only one, to show the point

play a 3 finger D chord on the 2nd fret, pull the B string, it sounds awful.

play a 3 finger D7 at the 2nd fret, PULL the B string, Now it sounds good. Really simplistic but you get the point

we have to think about it before we do it. Using a B or a G bender requires a different mindset, if we are just playing licks from someone else we may miss the entire point and really get stuck in the " I only know 6 licks" rut.

we have to know WHY we are playing out of different fret board positions to yank the pull.

So, once we get to know why we are yanking the PULL, now we do just the opposite, start the phrase with the B already pulled and then release it to get to the home note. Benders work both directions !

I suspect there are a lot of B Benders in cases and closets ! It's a totally different study than a stock tuning with no bender.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    drlucky and Don Miller like this.
  4. ForrestLeeJr

ForrestLeeJr Tele-Meister

Nov 3, 2007
    Nashville
    I put out a B bender 101 video years ago. Since then, several bender installs later, Ive put a lot of bender videos on youtube. Most are test drives after Im done installing the bender. But there are a few where Im showing some cool useful bender licks.
    My you tube channel is Twangtown.
    Theres a ton of free stuff on the internet.

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.