Suggestions for Latin style/sounding chords?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by KCKC, Jun 15, 2009.

1. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,

Looking to enter a monthly challenge with a South American style theme. I like the latin style music, what I've heard, but never wrote or played it.

Does anyone know if there are there certain chord types or voicings that are used? Are certain keys more popular to write in than others; time sigs etc.?

Any input would be appreciated!

tx,

KC

2. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

"latin" music is so broad, your question is a bit like asking about "rock." cuban jazz music doesn't sound cuban folk music, which doesn't sound like like mexican soneros, which don't sound like tejano which doesn't sound like central american flute music, which doesn't sound like--well, you get the idea...

south american music offers plenty of styles in and of itself, but i like brazillian bossa and samba a lot. here, the rhythm is crucial, the chords are often typical jazz chords, harmonized at least to the seventh, if not further. there's few things nicer than hearing a bossa rhythm on a nylon string guitar. if you're not familiar with this style, check out some joao gilberto, jobim, charlie byrd, or bola sete. beautiful stuff.

one thing i definitely wouldn't do is use the "modern santana latin cliche chord progression," Am, G, F, E7.

3. Xanderbeanz

Xanderbeanz TDPRI Member

Em7 to C7 is pretty latin sounding played in a bossanova style beat....for an example of the picking rhythms (largely off beat), try "tropicalia" by beck..

Am, F, E, E...doesn't fail, EVER :)

and that old cuban/samba style chord progression: Am, Dm, E7, Am, and make sure you whack at least one Edim6 in there at the end of a bar :)

heres a 4/4 rhythm, these are all semiquavers, the "T"s are played notes and the "-"s are silent:

T - T - T T - T - T - T T - T -

4. DavyA

DavyA Tele-Meister

If you want some easy latin sounding things you could play a Dorian vamp say A-7/D9 or A-7/E7 etc. You can throw in an A minor harmonic scale in and bingo you got some latin!

Have Fun!

5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Joao Gilberto... 'Nuff said.

6. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input guys!

Should put me in the ball park! (or the bull ring!)

KC

7. Budda

Budda Tele-Holic

If you dig the Gilberto type stuff, maybe check out "Girl From Impanema" and the famous version of it. Maybe somebody here has those Changes and Voicings to share?

Classic Tune and playing! Not too hard to play. And even though many musicians think it's old-hat, every non-musician will respond pretty favorably to it. Highly recommended.

8. Budda

Budda Tele-Holic

9. DavyA

DavyA Tele-Meister

Bossa Nova Rocks!!

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I'm no authority on the subject, but I've played a few Jobim and Loius Bonfi tunes. For ii-V's, I seem to like a common tone on top, with the movement happening underneath. For major chord resolution, I like ii minor chords with an 11, a b5 sub for V7, and a fairly stock resolution to the I. Bossas and sambas also contain lots of minor ii-V's (typically, the ii chord is m7b5, and the V loves altered 9's)... but here's a few personal fave ii-V grabs for F major:

-x--x--x-
    -1--1--1-
    -3--3--2-
    -3--2--2-
    -x--x--x-
    -3--2--1-

-8---8--8-
    -10--9--8-
    -10--9--7-
    -8---8--7-
    -10--9--8-
    -x---x--x-

I understand that Iggy Pop's latest record contains a cover of Jobim's "How Insensitive". That should be an interesting listen, to say the least.

11. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

No matter how many times I ride in an elevator or watch The Blues Brothers film, I will always love "The Girl From Impanema". It's such a sexy little groove, and the B section in particular is gorgeous.

The track that most folks have heard is from 1964. Stan Getz played sax, Jobim played piano, Gilberto played guitar. What often goes unsaid is that the track's vocalist, Astrud Gilberto (Joao's wife) had no pro experience prior to cutting it. Nonetheless, her breathy vocal on that track will forever be associated with the tune.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.