Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Suggestions for a good affordable wah pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Nubs, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I'm looking for a wah pedal for about $50 or so. I play classic rock & blues mostly. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cabronitavoxman likes this.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    The vox 845. Its 60 I think in the states. I have one. I like it.

Ex-riverman and brogh like this.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    My suggestion? Spend a little more money or look used.

The Vox's work. Dunlops, Morley and BBE as well. You don't have to spend a fortune, but look for something that will last.

Wah's are really quite personal as well. What works for me may not work for you. I just recently spent a little over a Benjamin on a Clyde Deluxe. More than I've ever spent on a wah, but less than half of new retail. It is so much more flexible than my prior BBE Ban Wah, but, not necessarily better. My BBE is a fantastic Wah! I mean, it's held up to a 3 or 4 solid years of gigging several times a month minimum. I've never babied it and it sounds great. I just wanted to know what three times the new price bought me. What I am trying to reinforce (without really doing so well at it) is that you don't need to spend a fortune on a wah, but please spend more than 50 bucks if you're buying new.

BBill64 likes this.

4. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    LOL, had to share a typo that made me chuckle (even though I had to fix it....). I meant to type 'What' and I typed 'Waht'. It seemed almost fitting in this thread, right? I almost corrected it to 'Wah-t'.

(Sorry, is my dad-joke-gene showing?)

5. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    i use a morley classic wah, got it for 40euro second hand - i'm very happy with it for funk and reggae. it's smoother than the original dunlop crybaby but you may prefer that throaty, meatier sound for playing rockier stuff. i find the whole of the sweep from the morley is just a little more useable as the top end of the dunlop is just a little too harsh.

6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Pawn shops and used stores are full of older Cry Baby's and Vox wahs. I got a Cry Baby 535Q for free because it didn't work. It turned out that the where the battery clip (18V version) was plugged into the circuitboard, it was plugged in backwards. I reversed it, put in new batteries and feet and was on my way. Look around. They're out there.

As for sound, try a few before you commit.

telemnemonics likes this.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 6, 2010
    Twangsylvania
    Save a few more bucks and get a Teese. Never look back and never have to buy another wah ever again.

8. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    If you have a Music-Go-Round franchise nearby, they always have loads of wahs.

9. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    1 + for the 845 good starting point, you can evolve later with something more expensive eventually, but it also depends on what features you're looking at.

look up soemthing on Craigslist in the used market, you'll probably get something fancier if you dig a bit, best advice ? try some out i had a morley ( don't reacll which one ) i wasn't "that" happy. but it's a question of taste.

i like the **** fight form EH but you'll need an expression pedal with that.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The used Vox V845 is cheap and really sounds good.
    I've probably had 20 wahs including numerous expensive vintage ones and a Dunlop 535q; the older USA made Vox is great and balanced to my ear.
    To get a "better" wah you'd have to spend quite a bit more.

Cabronitavoxman likes this.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017

12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2012
    Nebraska
    Musicians Friend has a Behringer optic wah pedal, brand new, for $49.95. I use a Morley Power Wah, also optic, that also has a boost function. It is a bit more, at around $88. MF also has a Morley Classic Wah, open box special, for $55. With free shipping, right in your price range.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have three wahs that came as toss-ins with used guitars. A VOX in nearly new condition and two older Crybaby, one marked 'original' so that must be the reissued one. I barely need one as for me they are a mess-around-gimick like a whammy bar and will sell the extras off at some point once I figure out the tone I want to keep and if I have any famous ones by accident (lol). They can be useful for distortion if you set it 'half-cocked' to 'cut through the mix'.

The VOX one has a definitely different tone than the other two so be sure to try a couple brands.

14. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2008
    UK
    I've heard a lot of people rag on the Vox V-847a because it's made in china (the previous model was US made), has a buffer (previous model didn't) and is PCB (previous model had surface mounted components inside) BUT I've had one for probably 8 years now and it's latest well, it's got a good wide sweep and runs off a standard 9v (previous model was battery only). I couldn't tell you how it compares to other wahs but as a basic grounding I think it's a good wah.

Ex-riverman and Felino like this.

15. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    I play an RMC Joe Walsh and really like it, but one would set you back $125. For that price why not get a used Vox AND a Crybaby and start seeing what appeals to you?

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    If you spend a bit more, you get three wahs in one with the Dunlop Mini. That makes it about $33 a wah.:D

dlew919 likes this.

17. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    So I bought a used Vox 845 which works well. There are a couple of annoyances though. First, the pedal squeaks when I move it up & down. Is there a simple way to get rid of the squeaking? I'm not sure if I can just hit it with some WD40 or something similar. Second, the button to engage the wah is pretty difficult to hit. Any suggestions on how to make it easier to engage/disengage the wah?

Thanks again!

18. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Canada
    Hotone Vow Press (Switchable volume and was pedal, great build and sweet tone)

19. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    A little grease on the mechanism. As for the button, I'm not sure.

20. cowie86

cowie86 Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2008
    UK
    I've used a Vox 847a for a while now and I'm happy with it. It's buffered but sounds good to my ears.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.