Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Suggestion For Small, Single Speaker, Hand Wired Amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by castpolymer, Apr 27, 2013.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I am currently running a PRRI and an AC15. Love both of them. I am thinking that it is time to start saving up for a nice hand - wired " booootique " amp. Looking for a combo amp with a single 12" speaker. No more than say 18 watts or so. Voiced in the BF Fender to Vox AC15 range. On board reverb and trem would be nice, but not a deal - breaker. Must be made in the United States ( for warranty reasons ). Reputable builder with at least a 10 year track record of being in business. No D.I.Y. suggestions please. I am handy enough to wire up a guitar from scratch, but amps are above my pay grade at this point. Price range is probably around $ 2,000.00. I am a home player or play with friends, so no gigging issues on the loudness of the amp. So, hit me with your suggestions ( manufacturer and model please ).

Attached Files:

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Morgan, Goodsell and Toneking and the good Doctor Z..nice starting points...

Let us know what you end up with.........so so many out good ones out there..I am sure
    you will see listed...

3. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

May 1, 2003
    Upstate, SC
    BF Fender--David Allen
    Voxish--Dr. Z

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2010
    Frederick County, MD
    You say BF Fender to AC15 range....I think my budda twinmaster falls right in the middle of those two disparate sounding amps

6. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2009
    New Jersey
    Frenzel. Best deal out there.

7. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Just me ( I'm a little crazy) you have a Vox. You have a BF Fender.
    Maybe it's time for a tweed or brown Fender?

9. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I have had a 5F1 Champ and just could not make friends with it. I have kinda ruled out the Tweed family for my ears.

10. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    5F1s are grungy little beasts...I don't like them much either. A 5E3 would be the perfect complement to your other amps.

11. elihu

elihu Friend of Leo's

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    6G2 Princeton is a cool little bugger-great tremolo too.

Another option would be to mail Muchxs for one of his Vibrochamps. One 6V6, bass, treble, volume and tremolo in an oversize brown cab with a ten inch speaker. Also has a pull option on the bass knob that turns it into a snarling beast.

12. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Hell if If I let Champs make up my mind I wouldn't own a Fender amp at all !

13. castpolymer

May 27, 2008
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I have had a BF Champ and SF Vibrochamp that were both great little amps. It was the Tweed 5F1 that I did not like. I honestly have never played thru another tweed amp.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Silverface Princeton Reverb

15. BobbyZ

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    You need to try other tweeds man.

16. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Dec 9, 2012
    Televille
    Cornford Carrera. It's at the high end of your price range, but it may well be the last amp you ever buy.

Really. It's that good.

17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria
    (Used) Carr Rambler.

18. elyuyi

elyuyi Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2011
    San Juan, PR
    Tungsten Cremona Wheat.

Any Swart that could switch power tubes from 6V6, 6L6, EL34 and EL84.

19. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

Mar 12, 2008
    philadelphia
    Check out De Lisle. He's doing a build for me and he comes very highly recommended by the guys over at "Gretsch Talk Forum". His designs are original but definately cover both Fender and Vox. Lot's of options available on his builds (tube reverb, tube tremolo, etc). His prices are also very good and outstanding personal service too. When I take delivery in a few weeks, I'll do a full review.

20. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    My vote is for an Allen Enore 1-12 6V6 model. Pushing 25 watts but you will enjoy every bit of it. The bonus is bias vary trem, and 2 knob reverb control, plus master volume, and the great raw control for some thunder when needed.

This is such a great amp. If you want to dial it down and stay in the 18 watt range you could go with the Sweet Spot, but the Encore is so nice.

21. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.