Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sugar Pine Build-Questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by MerleJam, Dec 23, 2017.

1. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    Hey everyone! I have always wanted to build a guitar and since the Tele is my favorite it made sense that’s what I’d attempt. I have some experience working with wood but not at this level. I have limited tools but am slowly getting things together. I knew this would be the best place to get the advice I needed. I purchased a 3 piece sugar pine blank from Marc at Gilmer Wood Co in Portland Oregon. I found some 1/2 inch mdf templates on ebay that I plan to use for the build. I am open to any tips and guidance. Especially regarding working with the sugar pine. I will be posting pictures as I go along. Thank you guys in advance. Merry Christmas!

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Thanks for joining us!

MerleJam likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Use the templates to make a second set of templates that you use to make the guitar with. That way when you nick the template, you can either repair (glue in a piece and router to size) or make new a second template. If you nick your original you're in a tough space.

When you route the pattern in the wood, cut close to the line first and imagine the router is petting a dog -- move the router so you are petting the grain down not lifting it where it will chip out.

Practice on scrap wood first.

fenderchamp and MerleJam like this.
  4. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you! I wouldn’t have thought of making another template. After Christmas I’m going to order them and I’ll make another set.

5. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    B8C295D3-AFEA-425F-8EB7-C3F712017DFF.jpeg Here’s the body wood.

crisscrosscrash and fenderchamp like this.
  6. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That's nice looking pine dude. GL with the build, and keep those pictures coming. Merry Xmas to ya!

7. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    I wasn’t sure what I was getting but Marc seemed really knowledgeable so I trusted his judgement.

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Start reading all the build threads you can and avoid the mistakes that people tend to make when they are newbies. There are plenty of pine body builds here. Photobucket probably impacted many of the older ones. Remember you can always cut and sand to the line to avoid router tear out.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Read, read then read again. Pretty much every mistake or success is here, then ask when you're stumped. At that point there's a wealth of info to be had

fenderchamp and guitarbuilder like this.
  10. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    I don’t know if it is quarter sawn or flat sawn. I also don’t know how long it’s aged. It is air dried. I’ve read that pine tales forever to cure so I’m kinda worried about that now. I’ve had it about 18 months now. No idea how long they had it.

11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    Omg cut it, route it sand it and play it to death! :)

crazydave911 and I_build_my_own like this.
  12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

The rule of thumb for air dried wood is a year of air drying per inch of thickness. I bet you are OK or close. When the wood is dry it is ready to go. If you don't have a moisture meter, there is an a method to determine moisture content by weighing a sample, drying it in the oven, and weighing it again to determine the MC.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/ctm/pdf/CT_226.pdf

If you wait for the sap to crystalize, you'll be waiting a long time :)....

13. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
  14. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    I believe the neck template nut is 1 11/16. My Danocaster I had was 1.65 with a chunky C profile .86-.94. 6125 frets and 9.5 radius. I loved that neck. Do you think I could use those specs on a 1 11/16 nut and it feel pretty much the same? If not, how hard would it be to alter the template

15. jmoore65

jmoore65 Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2007
    Oz
    Sugar pine looks a bit like what we call "Baltic pine" here in Oz.

16. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    I got my templates in today and they look nice. I do not have a drill press and was wondering if the only thing the drill press was a MUST HAVE for is for the string through? And if I choose to go with a top load am I going to be missing out on anything from the string through?

17. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    I'm a top-loading evangelist, but I don't want to start a nitpicking war with string-through evangelists. In my humble opinion, you miss out on nothing with a lop loader. In my humble opinion, the feel in bends is a little better with a top loader. The other benefits are more theoretical. But at any rate, plenty of people including myself love the top loaders.

MerleJam likes this.
  18. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

May 14, 2016
    San Diego, CA
    And re sugar pine, I've done two or three sugar pine bodies now. Very easy to work with. Just take your time with the router. Nibble and shave, don't bite deep. And like the man said, pet the grain down, don't lift. I made one dumb move on a sugar pine body and it chipped out much farther than I would have expected.

19. MerleJam

MerleJam TDPRI Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Texas
    If there is no tonal difference I think I’ll go with the topload. Thanks Widerange!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    There will be no sonic difference that rises above the threshold of noticeability....

and STOP... if you haven't done so already... stop.. make up a body blank from a 2x8 piece of construction pine from the Home Depot etc....it'll cost ya about 5 bux.... practice on that... after ya get up the learning curve, you can use it as fire wood.... don't screw up you prime body blank learning.... and... if you need it... perhaps this stuff I did a number of years ago will help.

Ron Kirn

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/201556-fret-leveling-yer-tele-101-a.html

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tele_template-illustrated-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Tele-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Setup-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Strat-reader-spreads.pdf

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Strat_template-illustrated-reader-spreads.pdf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.