Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Suddenly I want a vintage metal guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Troubleandahalf, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I grew up in the 80's, so cool was a hockey stick headstock. We couldn't be bothered with old Strats or Teles (fools!)
    We wanted superstrats, with the aforementioned headstock, and sharktooth inlays, and it should be a loud color, with weird designs on it.
    Now I see a vintage Charvel on eBay, an I've got GAS.
    http://bit.ly/18mCalD

If you've got one, let's see it!

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Man for me it's explorers. I remember seeing Def Lep and Iron Maiden using them and thiking wow, raddest guitar design EVER

3. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2011
    St Petersburg,FL
    I worked on the mailman's Jackson Soloist not too long ago. Hot lipstick pink! YIKES!!!! It had the weirdest wiring I've seen and seemed like it was modified at some point by filling in either a control pot hole or a switch hole. It had a 3-way switch volume and some sort of blend control 'I think'. The paint sure looked stock from my prior experience with Jacksons and Charvels, the hole that was filled in was only visible on top from filler/lacquer shrinkage over the years. Inside the control cavity it was covered by that black shielding paint they've always used and perfectly smooth. The wiring was not original though and was a real rats nest. While not something I'd want it had a super fast neck that almost played itself, that I did like. It sounded pretty good too especially for the higher gain stuff.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TheCheezyTeen

TheCheezyTeen Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2009
    Oslo
    They do have a certain charm. I'd love to have an old charvel. As long as it doesn't have a Floyd :eek:

6. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2008
    Cambridge Vt.
    How about this: Jackson neck, Tele body, Gretschbuckers. The best (or worst-depending on your POV) of three worlds.:D

Attached Files:

7. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    I like the Charvels that don't have the pointy hockey stick headstock , but more of a trad Fendery headstock.
    Still wouldn't be on the bucket list, but I'd not turn one away ;)

8. Troubleandahalf

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think it's pretty rad!

9. Troubleandahalf

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Matthias Jabs got me going on Explorers. Might be too heavy (as in weight) for me now. But they're bad-ass.

Attached Files:

10. Troubleandahalf

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    @benderb - I think pink is maybe the most iconic color. It's perfectly appropriate, as long as one has the proper spandex pants.

I too dislike Floyd's. this could be a problem. Kahlers were always nice though. But they're pretty rare it seems.

11. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Holic

Sep 1, 2011
    Texas
    The problem with getting nostalgic about these old Jackson and Charvel guitars is that the striped spandex pants just don't fit like they used to back in the '80s.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yeah, Matthias, too!

I was pretty surprised to learn later how the design had been around since the 50s

13. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I was into Rockabilly and Jangle-pop in the 80s. It was all about the Tele and an Epi Archtop for me. Strats, and Les Pauls later.

I loved Heavy Rock back then too, but the metal axes never called me. I do have a Strat with 2 buckers and a floyd now....but thats as close as I get.

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    ^^^ What the Rev said. I spent the '80s avoiding that stuff like the plague, but while every one else bought loud pointy things, I did enjoy picking up vintage Gibsons, Ricks and Fenders for cheeap. My all-time best deal was walking out of a pawn shop with a '71 335 in my hands for $225 in '86.

Or maybe the silverface Pro Reverb I got for $175. Good times.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Dec 10, 2009
    Tennessee
    I have one of those! Mine is pearl white. I bought it new back then and still have it.

My only issue was that it came with 9s and I wanted 10s. I had to shim the neck slightly. (Do they still make GHS boomers?)

Never had a issue with the Charvel/Floyd bridge. Works perfectly fine and stays perfectly in tune.

16. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

The pointiest I go is this.

[​IMG]

Mind you the design of these predates Metal by decades, and they are very comfy to play both standing and seated.

Heavy though.

17. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2005
    Irving, United States of Texas!
    I have a 2005 version of the Charvel "Strat"...by Fender. It's the Tie dyed Stratocaster. A single coil pickup in the neck position, and a humbucker in the bridge position. The neck is the fastest neck I've ever played!

[​IMG]

And well, Fender does own the name of Charvel/Jackson...

But when I think of a "Metal" guitar, I can only think of one thing: Jackson Rhoads!!

18. blotchard

blotchard Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2012
    Sudbury
    I had a Hamer Californian that I bought new in the late eighties, it was neon yellow. 8)

I was lacking a FR guitar, so when they re-issued the Charvels, I got this one...

Wildcard #5
    [​IMG]

A couple of second-hand finds a couple of years ago,

'90s Grover Jackson era Washburn SuperStrat
    [​IMG]

Charvel Model 7, MIJ era
    [​IMG]

I picked up an Explorer second-hand around five years ago, that was a bucket list guitar.

19. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
  20. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    :neutral:I had a Krammer with a banana headstock back then, what a total POS that was. Never considered a red or pointy headstocked guitar again. Lucky for me I also owned a '65 Strat everybody thought sucked.

21. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

I had a few pointy guitars, sold 'em all off a few years ago. I've still got an Explorer, but I really don't count that as a metal guitar. Just a guitar that rocks.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.