Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sudden Affinity for the Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LKNJ, Jan 8, 2018.

1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I'm a life-long Telecaster player. Got my first one in the 90s, and haven't looked back. I was playing in punk bands back then and got more than a few lectures on how the Tele just wasn't the right guitar for it. Nevertheless, though I've occasionally dabbled in Jazzmasters and Gibson SGs (both being guitars with a high ergonomic factor), the Tele has always been my go-to.

One guitar I've always had a particular disdain for was the Les Paul. In fact, any time I previously picked one up, I always found the necks to be too wide and thick, and the balance was always off and my right hand never rested naturally on the bridge. In fact, I've always considered the LP to be the most over rated guitar of all time.

All of a sudden, I can't get enough of playing them. Gibson must have changed the neck shape, because the Classic T LP is one of the most comfortable-playing necks I've ever come across. But more than that, it just seems to work.

Anyone else ever undergo a Tele to some other guitar conversion? Maybe just a phase?

2. VikinginLA

VikinginLA Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    The Les Paul has had different necks since the 50's so you must have just played the wrong ones. Les Pauls rule. Maybe it's the scale length that bothered you?

LKNJ likes this.

3. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    The Les Paul is a thing of beauty. Glad you're enjoying it!

brookdalebill and LKNJ like this.

4. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Mar 3, 2016
    North Shields
    Fenders play great.... Gibsons sound great.

LPTyler, Veltek and LKNJ like this.

5. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Yeah, I know. I've tried both the 60s and 50s necks on more than one occasion. The Classic T definitely has a different contour than the ones I've tried previously. Don't get get me wrong, there are plenty of Teles out the with clunky necks, as well.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    I try to switch among my guitars every few months. Keeps things fresh. A Les Paul will have you feeling like you strapped on a big old set of balls after playing single coils for awhile. I reserve monogamy for my wife.

7. jaygtr

jaygtr TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Great Britain
    Other way round for me.
    Played Les Paul's exclusively for 16 years. Teles and strats did nothing for me.
    All that changed about 7 years ago. Now I only really play teles.
    Not really sure why, it was just something different I suppose.
    Still don't like strats much though.

LPTyler, Veltek and LKNJ like this.

8. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Yes! The Strat is the other guitar I've never really gotten the hang of. I know plenty of other play them and they sound fantastic in their hands. Any time I pick one up, I feel like I don't know how to play. Maybe in 20 more years I'll figure that one out, too.

9. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 9, 2003
    NY
    Somebody must have forgotten to tell Joe Strummer and Hugh Cornwell. :)

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Pauls, Teles, and Gretsch Chets.
    I’m a single cutaway kinda guy.
    Pauls win the beauty contest, IMO.
    Love that carved top!

DonM likes this.

11. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    Don't forget D.Boon.

I played my Les Paul a lot after I got it. After a while, the "boom" and the weight kinda wore me out. I've said it before, but I think the thick HB sound works great for out and out rock and roll, but if you want a more nuanced sound, the Tele is the way to go. I know, I know, maybe I don't have it all set up right, but still, HBs are a totally different sound.

Minimalist518 likes this.

12. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    I like em both. Teles, and Les Pauls. :)

mrz80, DonM and brookdalebill like this.

13. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Yes. I got bit by the PRS bug last year and ended up buying two. There's something about the 25" scale that feels "just right" to me. (I could never bond with Les Pauls)

Is it just a phase? Time will tell. ;)

14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I used to love Les Pauls so much that I owned three of them (I was single and relatively rich at the time) even though I weighed about 125 pounds at the time and playing them for a 4-hour set was a workout. At 25 years of age, this kind of thing does not present too much of a problem. At 50 it's a different story....

Straydogger likes this.

15. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    True, though many Les Pauls have single coils.

Telecasterless likes this.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Sometimes I go a while without playing my Les Paul, then when I do, I am reminded that it is probably the best solid body electric ever made. There is a reason they are iconic guitars.

Pickcity likes this.

17. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Yeah, exactly.

18. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    In fact, I have a p90 in the neck of mine. Amazing sound.

ac15 likes this.

19. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Single cutaways are awesome. I don't mind the newer guitars with slim bodies.

I can fall in love with a Gibson, Heritage, Ibanez (1970/80's), Greco (1970/80's), Tokai (1970/80's), Aria Pro II (1970/80's), Edwards, Orville , Schecter Solo II Custom, Esp E-II, LTD EC-1000 or one the many clones out there! Just get me a good deal on one! ;)

20. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I got my first Les Paul last year after playing guitar for 50 years. It's a fat neck 58R, Custom shop, VOS historic. Love it's midrange and it's one of two guitars that don't bother my carpel tunnel pain in my wrist. But, my teles still get played in regular rotation.

LPTyler, Paul G. and ac15 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.